Fox fires Lyons after making racial remarks | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fox fires Lyons after making racial remarks

Ray Finkle said:
Maybe because FOX is signing his checks? Going against their quick decision to fire the guy would make them (FOX) look bad and he doesn't want to step on anyone's toes because he might need them if he doesn't get/or take a managing job or he might need FOX in the future for income.

Just a thought, playing devil's advocate here.

:sidelol: :sidelol: He has taken the Cubs job according to reports and took it the middle of last week. He doesn't need FOX!

MikeO said:
:sidelol: :sidelol: He has taken the Cubs job according to reports and took it the middle of last week. He doesn't need FOX!

I guess you missed the part where I said "in the future". He might not need them now but what about 3 years from now if things don't work out with the Cubs. Bottom line is you never want to burn bridges with potential employers.

Because like you say it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

MikeO said:

So that's what prevents Torry Holt from covering the draft for ESPN, right? Or Al Leiter, while he was still playing, announcing the NLCS every year? If Piniella already has the Cubs job, why is it still important for him to be doing the ALCS? Why would he even do it to begin with? He's got the money.

You, of all people, Mr. Money Talks and Is the Only Thing That Matters, should understand why Piniella would not undercut Fox. And maybe, just maybe, it's respect for Ed Goren and the rest of the folks who have employed him?

He still wouldn't need FOX. Your missing the point. He has no reason. This isn't the NFL with only ESPN, NBC, FOX, and CBS.

About 35 entities cover MLB!!

Lyons should have been fired. Since when is it right to generalize a whole race of people? If he would have said something about African Americans or about Whites the world would be up in arms. What because he gerealized hispanic people it's OK? He had to be fired. I bet you a lot of hispanics in baseball were upset about this, not just Lou Pinella. He generalized the hispanic population in a negative way and baseball has the most hispanic people of any of the four major sports. I don't say this often but Fox did the right thing!

"Piniella said that expecting similar production (from A's shortstop Marco Scutaro, who hit well in the divisional series against Minnesosta) would be "like finding a wallet on a Friday night and looking for one on Sunday and Monday, too."

Four minutes later, they had moved to different subjects and Piniella said something in Spanish. "The bilingual Lou Piniella," Brennaman said.

Lyons said: "Lou's habla'ing some Español there, and I'm still looking for my wallet. I don't understand him and I don't want to sit close to him now." The three laughed and continued calling the game."

what is racist about that? the wallet comment was just a play on what Lou said about finding wallets.

What a pansy society we live in, as nobody can have hurt feelings. That's assuming this statement even hurt anyone's feelings, and if it did, he or she needs to toughen up. What a hypocritical bunch of meaningless crap. Political correctness is a plague upon the land. The only people you can make fun of in this country and get away with it is the white male.

So, Lyons makes a joke and gets fired because someone gets offended.

Someone wants to make English the official language of the US and someone gets offended, so the English language supporter is told to quiet down and dont antagonize immigrants who dont want to learn English

Yeah, theres no problem here.......

Hmmm, Never knew Pinella was part Hispanic.

MikeO said:
He still wouldn't need FOX. Your missing the point. He has no reason. This isn't the NFL with only ESPN, NBC, FOX, and CBS.

About 35 entities cover MLB!!

No, you're missing the point. FOX covers the majority of MLB. You know how virtually every single team's main carrier is FSN, as in Fox Sports Network?

But that's not even the point. The point is, Piniella, no matter what his personal feelings are, is not going to undercut someone who has employed him in the past and will in the future if he wants to be employed. It's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of keeping opportunities open.

tucker said:
eh..i didnt think it was that bad
:yeahthat:

i don't get the big deal.

I am half polish, wouldn't it be the same thing as people saying things about polish people being polacks and being stupid? I think its funny when people do that. People need to lighten up, and how come if Steve Lyons was hispanic and he said it, then it would be alright?

RWhitney014 said:
No, you're missing the point. FOX covers the majority of MLB. You know how virtually every single team's main carrier is FSN, as in Fox Sports Network?

But that's not even the point. The point is, Piniella, no matter what his personal feelings are, is not going to undercut someone who has employed him in the past and will in the future if he wants to be employed. It's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of keeping opportunities open.

100% correct.

Plain and simple, Pinella has to "be a good soldier".

If Pinella backs Lyons, he makes FOX look like idiots for firing the guy as soon as the game was over. If he kills Lyons then he looks bad because he apparently laughed after the "joke" was made. Lou's best bet was to just shut up, which he did.

LightsOut said:
"Piniella said that expecting similar production (from A's shortstop Marco Scutaro, who hit well in the divisional series against Minnesosta) would be "like finding a wallet on a Friday night and looking for one on Sunday and Monday, too."

Four minutes later, they had moved to different subjects and Piniella said something in Spanish. "The bilingual Lou Piniella," Brennaman said.

Lyons said: "Lou's habla'ing some Español there, and I'm still looking for my wallet. I don't understand him and I don't want to sit close to him now." The three laughed and continued calling the game."

what is racist about that? the wallet comment was just a play on what Lou said about finding wallets.

this is exactly how I feel...I thought of it more as a play towards Lou, then a racist comment about hispanics.

Back
Top Bottom