Fox Sports Mock Draft Lists Miami as a suitor for Eli Manning.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fox Sports Mock Draft Lists Miami as a suitor for Eli Manning..

Originally posted by Noland
I just don't understand why they would take Rivers if they were already set with there qbs I know they will do it. Yes if we were in the 5th round and there was a decent qb around I would take it But if we already had a decent qb I would not spend a first round draft pick on a qb it just don't make sense. If we did not need a qb for the future I would not want to draft a qb(rivers) I would want draft a wr so I hope that is what the other teams will do go after what they need. The bills probably want to just piss us off.

just because you are set at a position doesn't mean you don't draft there....there are usually other reasons for it.....say you had a qb that has been getting better and his contract is going to run out in a couple of seasons and is probably going to demand big bucks.....you could draft a young qb and use him as a bargaining chip.....puts the FO in the driver seat because if they lose the starter they have some insurance.....look at the bills last year, chances are thats why they took mcgahee....if he recovers full and can be the player he was before the injury travis henry won't have the bargaining power to demand as high a contract if mcgahee wasn't there......

Dante

Originally posted by PhiNomina
The thing about Ben is he might drop. The Chargers, Raiders and Cardinals have all said they will not take a QB (obviously this could change.) If Ben drops past the Cardinals I think we should really look at trading up. It would be cheaper than trading for the #1 and could still nab us a very very good QB.

I very much understand the Ryan Leaf talk, the difference is in attitude. Leaf is a head case and Roethlisberger has shown to be a very humble and intelligent guy.

I personally don't agree with the leaf talk at ALL. While I don't think ben is as ready as the other QB's in the draft, however I dont' see any ryan leaf in him at all. He seems intelling as you say, and liek a stand up, hard working guy. Leaf's hang up, was his inability to read d's, he couldn't make the intellectual jump to NFL ball.

Would you guys give our 1st and 3rd this year and first next year for Eli? I think I would. Cut the two non starters at QB we currently have, and restructure a few guys and bring in the best option at OT and WR. I think that would be a great team. I know many feel we couldn't compete this year with a rookie QB, but has a rookie QB ever had a superstar like we have a RB, and really good WR in CC, and a great defense. The game plan would remain the same for our QB, don't lose the game. Eli has a lot more tools to do that than Jay.

I would deffinetly do that, but I think it would take more.

When you look that SD Is trying to trade down, there are only 2 teams really in a position to trade up. NE and us assuming we end up with 2 firsts. Pittsburgh might be a contender...actually THE contender if they get a first for Burress (which they should). If Texas jumps at O-gun though, i wouldn't be surprised if we end up jumping to the top for Eli. We wouldn't want to take rivers THAT high, and 20 could be too late for him. But I think it would take more than a first this year, and one next year. I think it would take BOTH firsts this year, and MAYBE a first next year, at the very lest a 2nd.

The one reason I dont think ELI is even an option is because what news have we heard about him and the dolphins? Other than the quote from peyton to Dan Marino when he heard Dan was in the office saying "do everything you have to to get Eli" I have never heard Eli and the Dolphins in the same sentence. I havnt heard any rumors of us looking into him, talking to him, or talking with San Diego either...and with how conservative we are I dont know if we would let Ogun go...so is Eli really an option or just a dream?

Another thing is, Rick was totally impressed with Drew Henson a potential top5 pick back when he was leaving college...why would he sacrifice the 2 1sts and a 3rd or something for Eli when he could get a QB that is damn good for like a next years 2nd?? Also heard about how we were interested in Rivers interviewing him longer etc...if were that impressed with those 2 guys, why would they trade up and "sell the farm" for Eli when they have these 2 QBs that could be almost as good.

Originally posted by Phinfan31
Another thing is, Rick was totally impressed with Drew Henson a potential top5 pick back when he was leaving college...why would he sacrifice the 2 1sts and a 3rd or something for Eli when he could get a QB that is damn good for like a next years 2nd?? Also heard about how we were interested in Rivers interviewing him longer etc...if were that impressed with those 2 guys, why would they trade up and "sell the farm" for Eli when they have these 2 QBs that could be almost as good.

To sell season tickets maybee? From a front office that promised to make changes this season, but balked in the face of many disapointed fans. Do you think that it goes unnoticed that about 10 polls on local newspaper's and Dolphins websites that have overwhelhmingly stated that alot of season ticket holders will not be reupping this year. I am not saying that Eli will be a Dolphin, but to put it out of the question is a little to rash. Dan Marino spoiled the people in south Florida. Getting guys like RW and Seau hasn't gaurnteed a sellout, so maybee a huge QB will be the only way to go. Good ole George reminded us that this is a business today, so you never know.

Originally posted by davster82
The Ben/ Eli talk is reminiscent of the Ryan/ Peyton talk all those years ago. Who do you think got the better of that deal?

Really, I don't think Eli will be a bust like Leaf..

I love the Ben/Leaf comparisons. They are NOTHING alike. Ben was THE team this year but acted like he was nothing special and as a result was the most popular guy on the team. If you watched any of his games (did you?) and saw an interview with him he always bragged about his teamates.

As for the MAC it is not as strong as some other conferences but it has producted Pennington and Leftwich in the past few years. They are better than Fiedler - enough said.

FOX Sports was just throwing Miami's name in there because the Fins have been in on every other QB. That's all. We don't have the ammo to pull off a deal to move up to #1 overall.

Originally posted by phunwin
FOX Sports was just throwing Miami's name in there because the Fins have been in on every other QB. That's all. We don't have the ammo to pull off a deal to move up to #1 overall.

2 potential first round picks, and next years draft sure sound a heck of a lot like enough ammo to me. ANYONE can move to the top pick. I hate people saying "we can't". the question is WILL WE?

The fact that Ben threw 4 INT's against Iowa could have had to do with the fact it was the 1st game of the season and he could have been a little rusty. Plus if you look at Iowa two seasons ago when they were alot better and finished in the top 5 Ben put up good numbers and only lost by 4 to Iowa.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
no, the question is should we
and the answer is no
\

Actually, if you read his post he said we do NOT have the ammo to trade up, which is completely false. We have a first rounder this year, and will get another first rounder if we want. 2 firsts this year, with picks from next year are certainly enough to get us the #1 spot. While I agree, I don't want to sell the farm for Eli, to say that we don't have the fire power to trade up is an ignorant and totally unfounded claim.

Originally posted by Dolphins99Fan
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2141522

This isn't likely, but I found the line on the number 1 pick to be rather interesting.. And I quote..

1 Chargers Eli Manning QB Mississippi 1st  1/1 Manning likely will go No. 1 overall, but it may not be to the Chargers. They have many holes to fill, and could trade this pick to the highest bidder. Oakland, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas and Green Bay are all potential Manning suitors.

This is insane.:eek:

First - There is NO CHANCE we'll be able to trade up and get Manning....

Second - I wouldn't want to.

I don't think QB E. Manning is even that good. There is very little resemblance betwen him and his brother. His arm is much weaker, and it's obvious he doesn't possesss the same "on the field" leadership skills Payton is famous for...

I think whichever team that takes Manning will be wishing they took Rivers instead. Based on what I've seen, IMO Rivers is going to be better than Manning as a pro....

PHINZ RULE!!!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom