Freeman v Knight | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Freeman v Knight

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

You're talking about the TD right before halftime that came from the Lucas fumble. We're talking about the LONG one in the second half..

Actually the Dolphins were playing cover 2 zone which means it was Freeman responsabilty.

Originally posted by Bad Lieutenant
Freeman can't tackle, period.
I have always thought Freeman was a solid tackler or at least a lot like Brock. They are both similar in their abilities or lack their of when it comes to coverage.

I don't think it is possible to statistically prove it because the two guys play on different teams so they are in different systems....have different responsibilities.....different players helping them....too many variables in there to take into account.....i guess we'll just have to wait until the season starts and see how sammy does in our system....then we will be able to see if he is an improvement.....

Originally posted by dolphan39
I have always thought Freeman was a solid tackler or at least a lot like Brock. They are both similar in their abilities or lack their of when it comes to coverage.

I just keep thinking back to the KC game last season, when Freeman whiffed on tackling Gonzalez I think it was, and he scored an easy TD. He put his head down and hit him with his shoulder. YOU CAN"T KNOCK DOWN GONZALEZ! You have to wrap him up!

I dont know if you're right about that Oliver...in a Cover 2 man which is what we employ like most of the time, the safeties may be responsible for helping deep, but I dont think the CBs ever disengage their man unless they are jumping on a thrown ball. I just can't imagine a D-Coordinator telling Patrick Surtain to disengage a man press coverage of Randy Moss and let Brock Marion take him man to man just because he's 15 yards down the field. If it were a zone D it would be different though.

Anyway I wish I had access to STATS Inc. What I like about Knight is as a safety here he doesn't really have too much responsibility I mean we've gotten by with guys like Shawn Wooden, Calvin Jackson, Brian Walker, and Arturo Freeman (and its not like Freeman was the reason we lost games)...and yet Knight has great ball handling ability. When a ball is in the air, he goes for it and says its his and if he gets near it, it IS his...and the same thing happens with fumbles. In 2001 for instance he had 5 fumble recoveries to go with his interceptions. I know that our D was forcing fumbles this season and nobody was picking them up. I remember the coaches making a big deal out of it at some point in the season too, having the players go back to basic recovery drills or something like that. Good to know also that if Bates sniffs a few lines of coke and decides to execute a safety blitz, Knight can get to the quarterback very well. But we seem to favor nickel CB blitzes if anything at all.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I dont know if you're right about that Oliver...in a Cover 2 man which is what we employ like most of the time, the safeties may be responsible for helping deep, but I dont think the CBs ever disengage their man unless they are jumping on a thrown ball. I just can't imagine a D-Coordinator telling Patrick Surtain to disengage a man press coverage of Randy Moss and let Brock Marion take him man to man just because he's 15 yards down the field. If it were a zone D it would be different though.

Anyway I wish I had access to STATS Inc. What I like about Knight is as a safety here he doesn't really have too much responsibility I mean we've gotten by with guys like Shawn Wooden, Calvin Jackson, Brian Walker, and Arturo Freeman (and its not like Freeman was the reason we lost games)...and yet Knight has great ball handling ability. When a ball is in the air, he goes for it and says its his and if he gets near it, it IS his...and the same thing happens with fumbles. In 2001 for instance he had 5 fumble recoveries to go with his interceptions. I know that our D was forcing fumbles this season and nobody was picking them up. I remember the coaches making a big deal out of it at some point in the season too, having the players go back to basic recovery drills or something like that. Good to know also that if Bates sniffs a few lines of coke and decides to execute a safety blitz, Knight can get to the quarterback very well. But we seem to favor nickel CB blitzes if anything at all.

Of course it's not as simple as saying all the time we are in cover 2 the CB's would not cover the outside WR's deep, but it's my understanding that's what we do the majority of the time.

The CB in cover 2 is suppose to follow the outside WR no matter he goes within 15-yards, even if that means over the middle. But after the WR passes 15-yards it's up to the CB to keep the 15-yard area from the LOS covered, because the safeties are now covering the deep threat.

I think the only ppl who know for sure who was responsible are the players and coaches on the Dolphins team. I'm just giving my opinion.

By the way I've seen Surtain let his WR go deep all the time. Same with Madison, it's what the Dolphins historically have done since 1996. The Dolphins are mainly a cover 2 D.

Oliver...

Of course it's not as simple as saying all the time we are in cover 2 the CB's would not cover the outside WR's deep, but it's my understanding that's what we do the majority of the time.

Sounds like a good scheme if we can keep the pressure up!

Unfortunately what you are describing Oliver is basically the Tony Dungy style tampa bay cover 2 ZONE. We employ a cover 2 press man, making our basic defense different from Dungy's. I'm 99% positive that our CBs do not disengage a man after 15 yards.

Even though I am a big fan of the finz and I know they are a top ranked "D" can someone explain our base defence and some of the differnt looks they used last year?

it would be nice to watch a game and have an idea of who is doing what. besides its a slow point in the offseason what better way to pass the time talking X's and O's?

Unfortunately what you are describing Oliver is basically the Tony Dungy style tampa bay cover 2 ZONE. We employ a cover 2 press man, making our basic defense different from Dungy's. I'm 99% positive that our CBs do not disengage a man after 15 yards.

Dungy employs cover 2 as well, and the Dolphins without a doubt ask their CB’s to release the WR after 15-yards. They do it all the time. It's one of the reasons why Surtain and Madison get so many INT's. They can peel of their WR's at any time they want to get those underneath INT's by doubling down. It's not like you see our CB's getting many INT's off of deep pass.

What the Dolphins do is play bump and run combined with cover 2. The Bucs and now the Colts D's do not play bump on run with their cover 2 scheme as often as the Dolphins do.

Oliver...

Didn't Sam Madison hurt his shoulder this season by covering Harrison deep down the field and taking the ball away from him?

miamis D

from my understanding miami plays a vanilla man to man, everything depends on the corners jamming the opposing teams WRs.

Ive watched a lot of games and Im pretty damn sure we dont play Cover 2 as our base defense. We might employ it on a 3 WR or 4 WR set, but if you watch our basic set, its a man to man, and you will see surtain and madison 30 yards down the field 99 percent of the time.

Didn't Sam Madison hurt his shoulder this season by covering Harrison deep down the field and taking the ball away from him?

I don't think Madison got injured that game, but I do remember that Surtain got injured in that game when he made an interception in the end zone, which caused him to miss the next two games.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
A lot of good players miss tackles against Gonzalez

Absolutely, let me clarify. It was the WAY Freeman tried to tackle him, he tried to just bump him out of bounds with his shoulder.

I love seeing those tackles in opposing defenses, but not in ours. I'm hoping Sammy Knight will bring back a little of what Walker had, just powerful tackles, I mean, they clobber guys. That is what I want to see.

So I was more criticizing Freeman's technique in tackling than anything else. He reminds me of Sam Madison in that way, but obviously, Sam makes up for it (except for last year), Freeman does not.

Back
Top Bottom