Frerotte overvalued? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte overvalued?

t47c said:
well, that maybe is the point... Frerotte at his best, is not better than what we have seen from Feeley.

Whoaaaa........ settle down here!!! Surely you could find bunch of games where Frerote played better than Feeley has in any of his. This is not to say that Feeley won't eventually come around and play well, but as of right now..........

t47c said:
well, that maybe is the point... Frerotte at his best, is not better than what we have seen from Feeley.

I have to disagree with you big time on this one. My dad is a die hard Vikings fan and I probably watched more Vikings games than any dolfan. When Culpepper was injured and Frerotte had to start 2 games for the Vikes under Linehan's offense, Frerotte played extremely well. His stats were:

38 comp/65 attemps 58% comp. rate for 690 yards, 7 Tds, 2 Ints, 118.1 QB rating.

Now that is only a two game stretch, but it shows he knows this offense and can produce if needed. That two game stretch is better than any two game stretch we EVER had since Marino's retirement.

outlawd2u said:
Once again we disagree!!!!! You were one of the most adiment Feeley defenders, and would jump all over anybody saying Feeley will fail, but then you say we're "guaranteed" to lose with Frerote at QB???? Frerote is a vet who a lot of us feel can get it done. With the right system(which we have), and the talent(which we have) to surround him, a vet QB with a strong arm can look pretty good, and somewhat ressurect his career
I have a little better grasp of how good Gus is from his 12 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE.

It's a relatively safe bet that Frerotte will never be anything more than a good back-up QB.

Sure it can happen but, after 12 years in the league the odds are pretty good that it's not going to happen.

The odds that Feeley can improve are MUCH greater than the odds that Gus can improve.

t47c said:
overvalue = being a good starter... not in the learning process or in the bridge context. I agree if he HAS to be the starter it isn't a great thing that's all. It means our offense will not be scaring anyone.

• Frerotte is "serviceable" as a starter.... nothing more or less.
  • Hard to believe anyone thinks either guy is a "great thing" for the long term.... IMO we will need a QB next season no matter what transpires.
  • Frerotte has proven he can light up some defenses with the right players around him. Can that happen in Miami.... possibly.
  • We were 4-12 and totally dysfunctional for most of 2004.... we aren't scaring anyone..... we may surprise some teams though.

thedayafter said:
  • Hard to believe anyone thinks either guy is a "great thing" for the long term.... IMO we will need a QB next season no matter what transpires.
  • Frerotte has proven he can light up some defenses with the right players around him. Can that happen in Miami.... possibly.
  • We were 4-12 and totally dysfunctional for most of 2004.... we aren't scaring anyone..... we may surprise some teams though.

Agree

FinaticalOne said:
I have to disagree with you big time on this one. My dad is a die hard Vikings fan and I probably watched more Vikings games than any dolfan. When Culpepper was injured and Frerotte had to start 2 games for the Vikes under Linehan's offense, Frerotte played extremely well. His stats were:

38 comp/65 attemps 58% comp. rate for 690 yards, 7 Tds, 2 Ints, 118.1 QB rating.

Now that is only a two game stretch, but it shows he knows this offense and can produce if needed. That two game stretch is better than any two game stretch we EVER had since Marino's retirement.
I too have seen many Viking games. Actually went to a couple. I'm not saying Frerotte can't have good games. Hell he probably can have great games. I am saying his history has shown he does not have a track record of constantly having good or great seasons...

FinaticalOne said:

• Don Strock type performance.... :D

t47c said:
my intent wasn't to be hard on Gus, just warn some people, if he is the starter, it isn't going to mean we have a great offense. That was it. I don't have a dislike of Frerotte... just a warning label...

I'm not really trying to stickup for Gus just stating a fact of his worth. I don't think AJ has much room for error because , I think Nick want's his own choice at QB to run the team and any chance he get's to release him he'll take it. Don't think there will much oppertunity for him. Maybe it's not fare but it's reality.

thedayafter said:
His record would indicate different. I am not saying he can't be a servicable starter. I'm saying his starting career is full of question marks. He could actually turn out to be a good player for Miami. We all just need to wait and see and not assume he is going to help this offense become a 30 points a game offense like the Vikings.

thedayafter said:
  • Don Strock type performance.... :D
Yeah really.... Don't remember Don Strock becoming a starter anywhere either...LOL

t47c said:
I too have seen many Viking games. Actually went to a couple. I'm not saying Frerotte can't have good games. Hell he probably can have great games. I am saying his history has shown he does not have a track record of constantly having good or great seasons...

I understand where you're coming from. :cool:

The Feeley comparison I think is premature. Let's get through preseason before we put a stamp on it. Most QBs strive when they find the right system, could Linehan's offense be that system? Maybe. I'm not saying Frerotte is a great QB or that he will be our starter, I'm just not going to rush to judge him. If I were to judge him, it would be based on how he did in Linehan's offense only. That's all I'm saying.

t47c said:
His record would indicate different. I am not saying he can't be a servicable starter. I'm saying his starting career is full of question marks. He could actually turn out to be a good player for Miami. We all just need to wait and see and not assume he is going to help this offense become a 30 points a game offense like the Vikings.

• Point being.... nobody is predicting a "30 points a game" offense... much less saying that is what Frerotte will produce.
  • His record indicates he is a serviceable NFL QB that has started games in the league... I think he went to a pro bowl.
  • He has value this season.... he is not "overvalued".

FinaticalOne said:
I understand where you're coming from. :cool:

The Feeley comparison I think is premature. Let's get through preseason before we put a stamp on it. Most QBs strive when they find the right system, could Linehan's offense be that system? Maybe. I'm not saying Frerotte is a great QB or that he will be our starter, I'm just not going to rush to judge him. If I were to judge him, it would be based on how he did in Linehan's offense only. That's all I'm saying.
Yeah I agree, Just wanted to point out that Frerotte may work out...but might not. Like I said, sometimes it happens where a player is a late bloomer, just not very often.

inFINSible said:
I have a little better grasp of how good Gus is from his 12 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE.

It's a relatively safe bet that Frerotte will never be anything more than a good back-up QB.

Sure it can happen but, after 12 years in the league the odds are pretty good that it's not going to happen.

The odds that Feeley can improve are MUCH greater than the odds that Gus can improve.

That's what's a little scary. I agree that Gus' talents have been pretty thoroughly explored and he's nothing more than veteran backup. So we're basically gambling on Feeley, who's really not proven anything in his how-many-years in the nfl, to be the future. It would not be a good thing if Gus starts because as you said earlier, it means AJ didn't pan out. I just fear we have a roster of really competent backup qb's, but I'm hoping AJ decisively wins the job and proves all the nfl scouts and coaches who have judged him a backup to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom