Frerotte overvalued? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte overvalued?

Heath Shuler was a 1st round pick -- there's usually some behind-the-scenes push to get guys like that in a starting role and see what they can do.

t47c said:
Yeah really.... Don't remember Don Strock becoming a starter anywhere either...LOL

• Strock had the best job in the NFL.... DM played every game.... Strock did mop up and played golf.... what's your point?

thedayafter said:
  • Point being.... nobody is predicting a "30 points a game" offense... much less saying that is what Frerotte will produce.
  • His record indicates he is a serviceable NFL QB that has started games in the league... I think he went to a pro bowl.
  • He has value this season.... he is not "overvalued".
I was asking have we overvalued him as a starter.. not that HE IS overvalued, and where is his best value to the team this year... as a backup or a starter?

thedayafter said:
  • Strock had the best job in the NFL.... DM played every game.... Strock did mop up and played golf.... what's your point?
no point... just an observation. thought it was a funny line and added a smart aleck remark...
and... Don strock was never sore for 3 days after a game!!

t47c said:
I was asking have we overvalued him as a starter.. not that HE IS overvalued, and where is his best value to the team this year... as a backup or a starter?
  • The team has to play the cards they hold... they have to find out about Feeley.
  • You weren't asking you were stating.
  • They have to protect the interest of the other units and veterans and did so with the Frerotte signing.
  • Frerottes value has already paid dividends... the offense is further along because he can execute the system.
  • To me I don't care who starts.... I assume the starter will have earned the position in camp.
  • The player that gives the offense the best opportunity to consistantly function is the guy who should be under center... period.
  • Frerotte is part of the process.... nothing more or less.

t47c said:

His best value to the team is as a dependable backup and teacher of Lineham's system, because that means that AJ (or Sage for that matter) fairly won the starting job and has the potential to be the future of the team for years to come. If Gus starts, it means we're seriously qb shopping next year and are probably 2 years behind.

t47c said:
no point... just an observation. thought it was a funny line and added a smart aleck remark...
and... Don strock was never sore for 3 days after a game!!

• no worries..... Strock was only "sore' when DM beat him in golf... lol

islandah said:
His best value to the team is as a dependable backup and teacher of Lineham's system, because that means that AJ (or Sage for that matter) fairly won the starting job and has the potential to be the future of the team for years to come. If Gus starts, it means we're seriously qb shopping next year and are probably 2 years behind.

• IMO we are seriously shopping the QB position next year... no matter what.
  • We needed to spend resources on the defense and acquire a RB this season.
  • We need to be serviceable at the QB position this season.... anything more than that is house money.

thedayafter said:
  • We need to be serviceable at the QB position this season.... anything more than that is house money.

I tend to agree, unless AJ or Sage pulls a Drew Brees, but that's like hoping for the inside straight draw.

thedayafter said:
I have to agree, I hope not but I think we will be shopping next year. Which probably puts us, at least, another year from serious contention

islandah said:
I tend to agree, unless AJ or Sage pulls a Drew Brees, but that's like hoping for the inside straight draw.
  • Or Frerotte pulls a Gannon or Maddox... lol.

From what I've seen (and I'll include myself in this opinion) is not that anybody sees Gus as great. Most of the people who see him as the probable starter aren't the ones predicting a SB run. It's simply that Gus has shown more flashes of ability than AJ has. Gus has been a probowler. (a little known fact is that Shula tried on two occassions to bring Gus to Miami) IMO the chances of AJ pulling a Drew Brees are smaller than the chances of Gus pulling a Gannon.

And I do think it is better if Gus starts mainly b/c the best I believe we can potentially see from AJ is a Fiedleresque 10 win season. By Fiedleresque I mean some good plays and some bonehead plays, but by the final count someone who isn't good enough. I worry that the team may be fooled into thinking they don't need to get a QB by insignificant, sporadic flashes of good play. That's not the case if Gus starts. Even if Gus becomes Gannon, we'll be looking for a QB. Also, I don't know if Saban is a good QB evaluator. I've been very impressed with his ability to evaluate defensive players, but I was not impressed with the QB talent I saw at LSU. (before someone mentions Rohan Davey, I think he's horrible) I think evaluating QB talent is very different from the evaluating process of other positions. Personally, I have a good success rate predicting successful QBs, but when it comes to other positions I'm very hit or miss. I think it's rare when someone has the ability to evaluate all positions. Hopefully, Saban is one of those that can.

t47c said:
I am amazed after reading all the post and threads how many people here see Frerotte as some kind of great QB. Based, I assume on his “knowing the offenseâ€Â. Let me say I have witnessed Frerotte play since his days with Washington. While there, he beat out, at the time, a quarterback that was a complete top five bust, Heath Shuler. My 15yr old Nephew could have beaten Shuler for the starting QB position. From there he bounced around the league never accomplishing much of anything. He played the last couple of years in Minnesota where he was a backup to Daunte Culpepper. He started 3 games in 2003 and had some success, as he did in Washington, he had a couple good games. Now there have been instances where a career backup finally broke through and had a couple good years, Jim Plunkett and Rich Gannon with the Raiders. It does not happen often!! Now I am not saying Frerotte cannot do it. I’m just saying you better wait and see. I’m also not posting this in support of Feeley. I am just warning fans that are touting are offense as explosive with Frerotte as the starting QB. We as fans, have a tendency to overvalue our teams players, that is fans for all teams. We tend to think; when they play for us, they will be better. Career backups are well, career backups. When you have players that have gone through 3 – 4 teams and do not start for any of them, it gives you a good idea of their talent level.

I haven't seen a single person on this board say Frerotte is a great QB. In fact, i haven't see anyone come close to saying that. Suggesting he is better than Feeley is not calling him great. Because when some says he is better than Feeley it isn't neccasarily saying much.

thedayafter said:
Your POV is well stated but appears to be "overvalued".

• Frerotte is a servicable proven back-up that has the ability to start games in the NFL.
  • He is not the "next"..... I don't think many, if any, on the board think he is.
  • Feeley remains an unknown.
  • Frerotte can assist the offensive development as he does know the system.
  • The WR unit and TE's will benefit from this.
  • The alternative would be a camp with all QB's learing the system... not good.
  • The rebuilding is a process, the Frerotte signing represents a part of the process... nothing more... or less.
  • Frerotte gives the other units and veterans on the team some sense of proven production. They know if Feeley fails they have reason to believe Frerotte can do the job.
  • Frerotte has value.... he is not "overvalued"

Very well put and very precise IMO. Nothing more needs to be said. No one on this board considers Frerotte to be a savior.

SCall13 said:
I haven't seen a single person on this board say Frerotte is a great QB. In fact, i haven't see anyone come close to saying that. Suggesting he is better than Feeley is not calling him great. Because when some says he is better than Feeley it isn't neccasarily saying much.

yep, basically the same thing I said.

The best man will when the job, does not matter if its AJ, Sage or Gus.

Back
Top Bottom