Friday 8.5 Open Practice Tweets HERE!!! NO ROSS TALK EDITION | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Friday 8.5 Open Practice Tweets HERE!!! NO ROSS TALK EDITION

I think that a solid DT is sorely underrated these days-- especially since their price has gone up so much lately.

Godchaux just signed a new deal that was crazy... Wilkins is WAY better.

Like I said, I like Wilkins and I've been a proponent of resigning him, I'd keep him for life. Thats a win as a pick.

Just saying, if you're talking about what you'd like to get out of that pick I think a DT isn't off the table...but I'd really want that guy to be a top 3-5 player at his position.

Not sure Wilkins is that, he could be with a little more pass rush which he seems to be on and off with, so the potential is there.

Like I said, I like Wilkins and I've been a proponent of resigning him, I'd keep him for life. Thats a win as a pick.

Just saying, if you're talking about what you'd like to get out of that pick I think a DT isn't off the table...but I'd really want that guy to be a top 3-5 player at his position.

Not sure Wilkins is that, he could be with a little more pass rush which he seems to be on and off with, so the potential is there.
PFF has Wilkins rated as the 6th best interior defender in the league last season and many on the team are projecting him to be better this season.

I think Wilkins is a cusp player, he's right on the edge of extraordinary. The fact that he's a high energy team leader type really helps his case.

I do understand some folks' reluctance to take a DT early in the draft, but again... I differ on this argument somewhat... mainly because real NFL teams take DTs this high every year. I think many fans undervalue how a top DT sets the table for everyone else. This is a stats driven league and most DTs don't really generate them... but defensive minded coaches do.

As much as I have very little respect for Flores, I do agree with his focus on taking these guys early. Just remember how stoked he was to land Davis.

This is one of those 'no right answer' debates though. Everyone has their own take and that's okay. I started off with a point where I sarcastically described fans who had meltdowns when 1st and 2nd year players were not ready right away... and on that one, I am VERY strident.

Not sure where you're getting top 25 from.

You may very well be correct on that (my guess would have been higher), but seeing as how there are 64 starting CBs across the league, plus another 32 nickel CBs that play the majority of defensive snaps, prying a top 25 guy in his prime from another team in free agency, you are going to overpay.

And when the opportunity presents itself to pair a guy like that with your superstar top 3 CB, I take it without hesitation.

If I'm a fan of a team that's throwing crazy money at scrubs and strapped against the cap all the time I might get frustrated, but paying good players on a team with a well run cap is not even a remote concern for me.
Well said. But it was his contract that exacerbated the X contract issue. It was too much money and he hasn’t played up to expectations. If you remember, he had a shockingly low total of INTs… one, I believe.

If you believe in the old adage "you build from the middle out" in crafting a strong D, then you would probably start with strong versatile DT's like Wilkins and Davis, then perhaps add a strong safety candidate like Holland? At that point you force teams to the perimeter instead of taking the short route, right over you in the middle. Me likey...

You have to build your team as if it were going to be a top team, and consider what type of game great teams find themselves in, because it isnt the type of games the Fins have found themselves in during the last 20 years. Last season in the NFL, Defenses playing from behind on the scoreboard faced a running play on 50% of snaps, when playing with a lead, they faced a running play on only 35% of snaps.

I do believe that the better the offense you have, the less important stopping the run becomes overall... Not to say it isnt important, just that it falls in the priority list. As a top team, you'll face more passing plays than the average team and so your roster should reflect that on defense. Top paid/drafted DTs usually have a pass rushing component to their game, which adds significant value and while Wilkins didnt seem to have this skillset when they picked him, he does look like he's developing into it.

Fins seem to have hit the top of the range for the type of player Wilkins is, So thats a Win...

How many teams would you swap defenses with?
Really? You actually believe this defense who beat the Jets twice, a retired Cam Newton, the Saints' 5th string QB, Mike Glennon and Tyrod Taylor is Top 3???
We have to be realistic here. Maybe the defense got better with Flores gone, but they have to prove it.

At the moment, I would swap defenses with the following:
  • Los Angeles Rams. ...
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers. ...
  • Pittsburgh Steelers. ...
  • Green Bay Packers. ...
  • Denver Broncos. ...
  • New Orleans Saints. ...
  • Buffalo Bills. The Bills had the No. 1 defense

Really? You actually believe this defense who beat the Jets twice, a retired Cam Newton, the Saints' 5th string QB, Mike Glennon and Tyrod Taylor is Top 3???
We have to be realistic here. Maybe the defense got better with Flores gone, but they have to prove it.

• Los Angeles Rams. ...
  • Green Bay Packers. ...
  • Denver Broncos. ...
I see your measurement method hasn't changed.
Still using furlongs per fore night, I see - LOL

• Los Angeles Rams. ...
  • Green Bay Packers. ...
  • Denver Broncos. ...

I’ll give you the Rams and Bills but I don’t think the rest of those teams have the overall talent, especially ascending talent.

But I do believe it’s just a matter of time before Miami has the top ranked D.

Back
Top Bottom