Front Office Woes Continue | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Front Office Woes Continue

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
Well now that we have officially finished the draft, I think I can now acucrately say we have missed the opportunities again. When you see teams like NE, Detroit, and Atlanta work the draft and off season trades so masterfully, it makes you kind of embarrassed.

Some important questions Fins fans should be asking:

1. Why once again with Welbourn going for next to nothing, were we not a player for a positon that is our largest need. Three major names hit the market from the OLine, Woody, Tait, and now Welborn. We were invisible.

2. Why Corner again? One can only assume WanSpeil is trying to make up for the Fletcher blunder. We have Suratin, Madison, and the ***ent from Carolina and TBuck wants to come back. Just wasn't our need. Other picks that would have made more sense at that spot:

Kendall Pope LB Florida STate
Nat Dorsey, OLine Ga Tech
Jerricho Cotchery, WR NC State
Will Allen, S Ohio State
PK Sam, WR FLorida State

3. The abscence of a 2nd round and 3rd round pick will haunt us.

When it came to the late positons we have made a steal with Tomy Pape. But more than likely we have added more OLineman to a pile of medicore to backup quality depth.

I would have rather seen them package those late picks and move into the 2nd or third round where we missed on some quality players. I think when you look at the AFC East and how they all drafted and what has been done to improve during the offseason, you have to salute the Pats. They are the best team in football from the office to the field. I think at this point we have finished the worst in offseason work.

I predict a 9-7 year and missing the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
fin-atic said:
2. Why Corner again? One can only assume WanSpeil is trying to make up for the Fletcher blunder. We have Suratin, Madison, and the ***ent from Carolina and TBuck wants to come back. Just wasn't our need. Other picks that would have made more sense at that spot:

Honestly, I don't care. If you're sitting there in the 4th-round & you see a kid who pretty much everyone projected late-1st/early-2nd...you take that player.

I think that with what we had to work with, we did great. You can't pass on a guy like Poole as he was rated and slated to go late 1st or early 2nd. We'll have the best 1 to 4 set of corners in the NFL.We got another steal with Pape who many had him going in the 3rd round. We got a LB/S that will bring another great ST's player since we had lost Hendricks.We could lineup Carey and Pape next to each other for the next 8 years.I think Rick and the FO did a fine job.

Ozzy rules!!

add that draft, and our offseason moves, to say signing ogun and chambers to long term deals... that wouldnt make up for missing out on one of the big olineman you mentioned? because if we had gotten them (woody/tait/welbourn) either chambers or ogun is gone and wed have had ANOTHER need on draft day. I think all things considered, if we use our left over money to resign both those two, and see whats left of the undrafted FAs/June 1st cuts to see if anything can help us, we will have had a successful offseason.

Yeah its too bad we missed out on Welbourne, but by no means does that mean we screwed up or anything. I dont think we needed a wr with all the guys they have brought in(which makes me wonder why u would say we didnt need a cb we have plenty more wr's then we do cb's signing wilkins, snoop, derrius, and then simmons and tolver how many more do we need to throw on the pile??) Buckley wants a 3 year contract, why not take a young talented cb that fell two rounds beyond where he was predicted? We got a very talented young man in Poole and im happy to have him on board.

Actually, the FO hasn't done that bad. They've made a couple moves I disagreed with, foremost giving up too high a draft pick for Feeley, and weren't able to close with the FA O linemen we needed, but I do like the players they've brought in and the draft was pretty good. I'd give the FO a B- so far for the offseason.

This draft was one of need...

and it could be debated as to why we were in this position in the 1st place, but considering that, we did pretty well. We are going to have some serious competition with our OL this year and lord knows we needed that desperately. We also needed some depth at LB and on ST's. We didn't have the luxury some teams did this year, or the horse power to really make some noise, but we did get some decent players. Even some that hopefully will surprise.

Steve

fin-atic said:

1. Why once again with Welbourn going for next to nothing, were we not a player for a positon that is our largest need.

2. Why Corner again?

When it came to the late positons we have made a steal with Tomy Pape. But more than likely we have added more OLineman to a pile of medicore to backup quality depth.

1. Because we don't have the money to pay an offensive guard. If we signed Welbourn at least one of Ogunleye, Chambers, or McMichael would have to go. No thanks, good job Fins.

2. Because Poole was a first round talent. As ChambersOwnz said if you can get a first round talent in the fourth round you take him, regardless of what position he plays.

3. How will it haunt us? Yes, it would have been great to have a second rounder but we did good with what we had.

4. You say we added more o-lineman like we were flooded with talent at the position. I wouldn't have been disappointed if they went o-line with every pick in the draft. Did you see our o-line play last year?

5. Okay just remember that prediction when we're in the Bowl.

fin-atic said:

1. Why once again with Welbourn going for next to nothing, were we not a player for a positon that is our largest need. Three major names hit the market from the OLine, Woody, Tait, and now Welborn. We were invisible.

Ok and we filled that need with a guy who could be as good or better possibly for a fraction of the dollars and this is a failure how?

Smith/James/McKinney/?/Carey with St Claire, Yates, Whitley and the other late round guys we drafted to compete at RG. Surely one of those guys are serviceable.

fin-atic said:
1. Why once again with Welbourn going for next to nothing, were we not a player for a positon that is our largest need. Three major names hit the market from the OLine, Woody, Tait, and now Welborn. We were invisible...

Welbourn is a Left Guard. Last time I checked that position has been solidified by the aquisition of Jeno James. Jeno James has experience in our system and has experience playing in the Superbowl.

The area of LARGEST NEED was Right Tackle. Vernon Carey buttons that up in the first round.

O-line was our weakest spot going into the draft. Now we got Carey(who should start at RG or RT)and we got Pape(who could start on the right side too)to go along with Seth,James and Smith. This is the most young talent we've have on the o-line since the early 80's imo.

Ozzy rules!!

fin-atic said:

I can comment on this.

Troy Brown
David Patten
Deion Branch
David Givens

Eric Moulds
Lee Evans
Josh Reed
Bobby Shaw

Our biggest competitors are 4 deep at WR so we need to be at least 4 deep at CB. T-Buck would be a band aid solution because of his age with Surtain, Madison, Howard and possibly Poole we will have 4 good cover corners.

fin-atic said:
Well now that we have officially finished the draft, I think I can now acucrately say we have missed the opportunities again. When you see teams like NE, Detroit, and Atlanta work the draft and off season trades so masterfully, it makes you kind of embarrassed.

Kendall Pope LB Florida STate
Nat Dorsey, OLine Ga Tech
Jerricho Cotchery, WR NC State
Will Allen, S Ohio State
PK Sam, WR FLorida State

I would have rather seen them package those late picks and move into the 2nd or third round where we missed on some quality players. I think when you look at the AFC East and how they all drafted and what has been done to improve during the offseason, you have to salute the Pats. They are the best team in football from the office to the field. I think at this point we have finished the worst in offseason work.

I agree with most of your statement, however I think we did OK with the draft.I also agree with the NE thing, best in the AFC for sure as for the league, it's pretty close there as well. As for us not making the playoffs,I absolutley agree. As long as DW as is our coach we will never go anywhere, no matter who we draft. I'm hoping we did not draft a WR because with all the WR's taken in the draft we could pick up a very good WR that has been released. Honestly, I'm hoping DW is gone next year I could live with a bad season just to see him gone. I would love to see Pete Carroll as our HC next year.

Back
Top Bottom