Front Office Woes Continue | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Front Office Woes Continue

fin-atic said:
Well now that we have officially finished the draft, I think I can now acucrately say we have missed the opportunities again. When you see teams like NE, Detroit, and Atlanta work the draft and off season trades so masterfully, it makes you kind of embarrassed.

Some important questions Fins fans should be asking:

1. Why once again with Welbourn going for next to nothing, were we not a player for a positon that is our largest need. Three major names hit the market from the OLine, Woody, Tait, and now Welborn. We were invisible.

2. Why Corner again? One can only assume WanSpeil is trying to make up for the Fletcher blunder. We have Suratin, Madison, and the ***ent from Carolina and TBuck wants to come back. Just wasn't our need. Other picks that would have made more sense at that spot:

Kendall Pope LB Florida STate
Nat Dorsey, OLine Ga Tech
Jerricho Cotchery, WR NC State
Will Allen, S Ohio State
PK Sam, WR FLorida State

3. The abscence of a 2nd round and 3rd round pick will haunt us.

When it came to the late positons we have made a steal with Tomy Pape. But more than likely we have added more OLineman to a pile of medicore to backup quality depth.

I would have rather seen them package those late picks and move into the 2nd or third round where we missed on some quality players. I think when you look at the AFC East and how they all drafted and what has been done to improve during the offseason, you have to salute the Pats. They are the best team in football from the office to the field. I think at this point we have finished the worst in offseason work.

I predict a 9-7 year and missing the playoffs.

So much for the kinder, gentler fin-atic.....I hope this draft puts you over the edge and sends you screaming to the Pats.

BTW, the missing 2nd round pick is playing LT for us and the 3rd round pick will be our dime corner and hopefully a starter some day.

Only fin-atic can turn the drafting of a steal in the 7th round into a negative.

Jimmy James said:
In my book, the more we can be like that team, the better. Watch as that Andrews pick that is getting panned by all the experts turns into pure gold. That's not be being anti-VC, either. I just think that Andy is da man.

But he moved up 11 spots (giving up his 2nd rounder) to pick a GUARD. That's almost taboo. Smiley and Snee were easily within reach at 28.

I like Andy Reid. And I like Shawn Andrews. I just think they screwed the pooch on this one.

You're in great company there, Muck. He really may have screwed the pooch. I just see enough to trust him there, and I hope that RS shows me enough in the next couple of years that I have that sort of comfort level. He certainly isn't there yet, though I think he did overall make me more comfortable with him than I was on Friday...

On Poole, I saw the Dolphins pick a cornerback and not WR and I thought, "What the ****? But the more I thought about it, A)Here's a guy 1st round talent in the 4th; B)Can't have enough good CB's in our division with Brady, Bledsoe, and Pennington; C)Madison is pushing 30; figure 2-3 years he drops off, you've got his replacement on the team. THAT is what the draft is about, finding studs to start or later round gems to replace your starters when they fade. I see Poole taking over for Madison in a couple of years or for Surtain if that knee doesn't hold up. I like this draft; it wasn't spectacular, but we're not rebuilding, we didn't pick in the top 10, so I don't think "spectacular" would be possible. But all Rick's picks filled needs (FINALLY!! DRAFTING O-LINE) and/or were value. Maybe reached a TINY bit for Carey, but if he pans out, so what? Plus two killer special teams guys Pope and Bua. I like this draft. Best one on paper since 1998.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Get out while we still can.

We missed out on Randy Moss, why didn't we trade up for Peyton Manning, he turned out to be so good.

Rick has no idea what he's doing. And fin-atic knows this, because he reads "Dolphin Digest" and Mel Kiper's Big Draft Board.

Why did we pick up Randy McMichael? Scouts weren't so high on him. But Kenyatta Walker? He's a surefire blue-chip Pro Bowler.

The point is, NO DRAFT CLASS CAN BE EFFECTIVELY JUDGED WITHOUT A YEAR OR TWO. You can speculate all you want, but you're a fan, and they're the FO. I give Rick some credit, and so does Boomer (and he knows far more than I do). No scouts knew Randy or Chambers would be as good as they are, or Zack, or JT... I'm sure if we could jump back a few years, you were whinin' then too.

i can tell you one thing wellbourn stinks, he is the whole reason donvan got killed last year, i was there, he has missed the most games as a starting olinemen for the eagles since he has been there

Poole: What good does his talent do us on the bench? Do you think he will crack the starting lineup this year? It just wasn't a need. Sorry, but it doesn't make sense. Would you have celebrated taking a RB too because he was the highest rated athlete? C'mon people remember we need to win now. Last year, Zach, Madison, and our DTackles were showing serious signs of falloff. They have one good year left at best.

You want depth then get it where we need it FIRST!

Also those who say Welborn, Woody, and Tait want too much and we would have had to lose OGun. That would be exactly the right thing to do. Everyone was willing to sacrifice OGun for someones #1 but you wouldn't for a Pro Bowl lineman?

What are you saving the money for? I mean where are you going to spend it if not on your biggest needs?
Finally, to those who whine about my views about the front office. Too bad. The facts are in my favor and history has proven me right each year. Until their diamond in the rough, long shots start winning games, reachng potnetial, and contending to Super Bowls, I am right and you are wrong. That is a fact. Until that changes neither will I.

If you're going to compare Miami's front office to other front offices in the NFL, atleast compare them to winning teams with little to work with in the draft. Any team can hit on targets with top 10 picks.

Denver, Tennesse and New England were excellent in the draft and in the off-season. You can add Philly in there as well.

I liked what Spielman ended up with in the draft. I was real bitter when they did not draft Matt Ware, but they ended up with Will Poole after they traded down 10 spots.

Vernon Carey and Tony Pape are ready to start in the NFL. Yes, Pape is READY for the NFL.

Tony Pape will surprise everyone in training camp.

Don't be surprised if Carey is put in at RG because of Tony Pape's showing in training camp. The off-season is still not done. I can see Miami signing some role players after June 1st.

fin-atic said:
Poole: What good does his talent do us on the bench?

fin-atic said:
Last year, Zach, Madison, and our DTackles were showing serious signs of falloff. They have one good year left at best.

:confused:

You've lost it. You're starting to contradict yourself.

Miami does need a young promising DT, but was there one in the 4th?? If there was, I doubt Spielman would pass him up just like he COULD NOT pass up Will Poole.

I like Miami's picks ALOT.

fin-atic said:
Poole: What good does his talent do us on the bench? Do you think he will crack the starting lineup this year?
Uhh... NE and Buffalo both have 4 solid WRs. We got killed in a few games because teams spread out the offense and we couldn't match up. This pick makes sense because we have one corner who is declining and one who has the possibility of injury. Poole was first-round talent in the fourth. If you REALLY think that some 4th round pick was going to come in and do what Poole could, I challenge that

fin-atic said:
Finally, to those who whine about my views about the front office. Too bad. The facts are in my favor and history has proven me right each year. Until their diamond in the rough, long shots start winning games, reachng potnetial, and contending to Super Bowls, I am right and you are wrong. That is a fact. Until that changes neither will I.

Man, I am a realistic person but you border on ludicrous. Nothing is ever good enough. And your logic does not add up. What you've done is argued that since we didn't make the SuperBowl you are correct about every decision. Sit back, relax, and let the MiniCamps unfold. And hey, it might even take longer than that. Maybe you let our picks take a snap before you start petitioning for GM?

Welbourne the one who openly criticised the eagles? The one wjho wants woody money? the one who has durability issues? Ooookkkkk! Yeah that is teh way to go cause fin atic said so. Do Ilike everything about this draft? Nope, thought we should have taken PK Sam in teh fifth and was shocked we didnt. That doesnt mean I am right and Ricks wrong.

I am sorry but some of you need to get over yourselfs as if you could do better than Rick, sorry you cant. Same Sh*t diff day. Where was all this Welbourne talk before the draft? Why was Philli so anxious to get rid of him? and if he is this GREAT Awesome O-lineman, why did he go so cheap and so few takers? SF turned him down and there was a need? Poole may not have been top priority, but he was BPA and a great value at that. He wont start, but will play significant time. How many 4th rounders start anyway? Care to answer that? THere a real high percentage? Who should we have taken in the 4th that would have started? BS it is a case the team didnt do what you wanted so it cant be good.

Facts your a legend in your own mind finatic. From now on when I say Legend I am referiing to you. Hey I at least give you credit for admitting you beleive your opinions are fact, no matter how delusional that may be. You truly are a legend.

fin-atic said:
Poole: What good does his talent do us on the bench? Do you think he will crack the starting lineup this year? It just wasn't a need. Sorry, but it doesn't make sense. Would you have celebrated taking a RB too because he was the highest rated athlete? C'mon people remember we need to win now. Last year, Zach, Madison, and our DTackles were showing serious signs of falloff. They have one good year left at best.

Also those who say Welborn, Woody, and Tait want too much and we would have had to lose OGun. That would be exactly the right thing to do. Everyone was willing to sacrifice OGun for someones #1 but you wouldn't for a Pro Bowl lineman?

What are you saving the money for? I mean where are you going to spend it if not on your biggest needs?

The facts are in your favor? I wouldn't know because you don't post any facts, just opinions. In addition, your opinions make NO SENSE. In the first paragraph you claim Poole wasn't a need and then claim Madison has one year left, at best. What the heck kind of sense does that make??????

You claim players at DT, LB, and CB are falling off and then are frustrated that we didn't sign over priced linemen?????

They have addressed Oline in FA and the draft. There will be 4 new starters and as many as 5 or 6 new lineman on the roster. The Pats FO that you seem to idolize let one of those players leave via FA. Your only legitimate complaint is that they didn't get YOUR FAVORITES. You need to get over yourself in a big way.

Are you guys just trying to be difficult?

The FACT I refer to is that the team has not improved the key areas of need over the last few years. Specifically the OLine and the Passing game. They have not solved it yet this year. For it to work out this year here is what will have to happen:

1. A QB who has only played 13 games since high school (8 college and 5 Pro) will have to leap from the 3rd storng of another team to be an impact player in the toughest division in football.

2. A rookie OLineman will have to not only start, but be an impact player.
3. Seth McKinney will have to be effective when to date he has only been servicable.
4. Wade Smith will have to improve signifigantly from his rookie year when he showed he can play and he showed he can be beat. Which way will he go?
5. The Defense will have to get more conistant. Breaks down too many times at key points in the season.
6. Joe Collier who has never been an Offensive Coordinator, and who's resume only boasts being the Miami RB coach which had one fo the worst running teams in the NFL until RW arrived and does it mostly on his own.

Now those are facts. You have to admitt it gives reason for there to be scepticism especially when you consider this regime does nto have a history of success and good judgement.

I never said we have to "win the SB" for me to be happy. I want to see us improve. We have gotten worst four years in a row. Once again that is a fact. We need to get better and contend and make a threat in the playoffs. Then I will start acknowledging we are getting better. Until then we are not.

Say the words with me boys and girls:

FACTS. FACTS. FACTS. FACTS.

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
If you're going to compare Miami's front office to other front offices in the NFL, atleast compare them to winning teams with little to work with in the draft. Any team can hit on targets with top 10 picks.

Denver, Tennesse and New England were excellent in the draft and in the off-season. You can add Philly in there as well.

I liked what Spielman ended up with in the draft. I was real bitter when they did not draft Matt Ware, but they ended up with Will Poole after they traded down 10 spots.

Vernon Carey and Tony Pape are ready to start in the NFL. Yes, Pape is READY for the NFL.

Tony Pape will surprise everyone in training camp.

Don't be surprised if Carey is put in at RG because of Tony Pape's showing in training camp. The off-season is still not done. I can see Miami signing some role players after June 1st.
I agree about Pape but when I started a thread saying that he could start for us for the next 8 years some guys were jumping all over me. They don't think he can start cos we got him that late. I think he can start at some point this year and at least, he should be starting in 2005.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom