Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins...

Originally posted by Boomer
How do you know we didn't get who we set out to get? Because the Herald said so?? Come on. Would you rather we overpaid for John Tait, the 5th best OLman on the Chiefs, who is 30 years old at seasons start and who isn't tough enough? Or Damian Woody who the SB winning Patriots deemed surplus to requirements and for whom the Lions seriously overpaid?

In terms of who else we "missed" - Brunell never was given the opportunity to speak to us and if we had given up a 3rd rounder for him, that would have been ridiculous. Johnson...I assume that's Brad Johnson....who is about to be replaced by Jeff Garcia....and there was no firm steer that the 9ers were going to let him go.

We signed a top quality LG, a 2 year starting CB who will really help our defense, one of the best STers in the league - we lost a well respected RT solely because HE FAILED HIS PHYSICAL.

I think the majority of people believe only what the local rag tells them and would like to see a team stocked full of players that they have heard of, despite their talents or otherwise, rather than actually signing good, solid players for the right money, when you consider we have a Pro Bowl DE who needs a contract and a star tb, #1 WR and great looking TE who all need new contracts in a years time.

And ANYONE who thinks Miami is drafting Philip Rivers is delusional beyond belief.

you crack me up.

1) i live in texas, don't get the herald, don't read it. didn't even read it when i used to live in florida.

2) i go by what i read and hear on these boards. if you have been reading these boards, you would have see the hullabaloo about the aforementioned players. back in january/february you would be hard-pressed to find a thread that didn't mention Rivers. Now you are calling me delusional. Better call all of fin-heaven that then.

Woody, Tait, Brunell, Johnson, Ramsey, et al had all been RAVED about by everyone on these boards - apparently someone in the miami FO had let wind out about the dolphins looking to sign these guys based on reports..... these were not made up. Granted, i don't think we should OVERpay, but their value is not set.... it depends on how bad your team needs that position. Value is created by demand. Tait i can live with passing on, but i think we should have matched that offer to Woody, if not beat it. After cleaning out our O-Line, we have the room now.

My other beef is with the QB position. is everyone hypocrites now? where are all the true people that were singing the praises of Rivers a month ago, have they all shut up b/c of Feeley?

I don't know how good Feeley is, but is he the answer that made everyone content? The guy was a 3rd stringer last year. And yes, i know Delhomme was a 3rd stringer at one point.... But so was Vinny Testaverde at one point, and so was Kordell Stewart. Rick Mirer was 3rd as well.... Just because ONE guy was successful from 3rd stringer doesn't mean they all are.

You can call me negative. I prefer "realistic." Don't get me wrong - i am a dolphan and ONLY root for the dolphins. I WANT them to win, and because of that, i feel that we have sold ourselves short this offseason. I know the offseason isn't over, but i feel we slept on trades and FA we should have jumped on. We didn't get the name guys we wanted, and instead got a bunch of guys i've never heard of. (except for James, again).

If these guys we did get are that great, (Feeley, the other O-lineman(except james), et al...) i will publicly apologize for making my criticisms on this next season.

But as of now i don't see us making drastic improvements on any front at all....

We essentially traded in our Kia for a Daewoo. (but kept the Kia radio)

-tex

your anology with kordell stewart, ricky mirer and vinny testaverde is very flawed

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
your anology with kordell stewart, ricky mirer and vinny testaverde is very flawed

i am all for open forums and debate, but your arguement is not convincing. please, prove me wrong!

prove to me that kordell steward, rick mirer and vinny were NOT 3rd stringers.

well the idea of your post is a valid one. There are MANY third stringers that did not turn out to be good starters, however the three you chose are 100% different then AJ Feely.

1. Feely was a low round pick, and was picked to be a back up or to groom to get a higher round pick ala hassleback or both. Kordell, rick and vinny where first round picks all picked to be starters. Well maybe Kordell wasn't a first round pick, I don' tremember right now and i am too lazy to look it up. However he was picked to be a starter someday for the team he was drafted to.

2. Vinny, Rick, and Kordell were all third stringers because they were failures. AJ Feely has not proven to be a failure.

That is all I need right now to prove your flawed samples.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
well the idea of your post is a valid one. There are MANY third stringers that did not turn out to be good starters, however the three you chose are 100% different then AJ Feely.

1. Feely was a low round pick, and was picked to be a back up or to groom to get a higher round pick ala hassleback or both. Kordell, rick and vinny where first round picks all picked to be starters. Well maybe Kordell wasn't a first round pick, I don' tremember right now and i am too lazy to look it up. However he was picked to be a starter someday for the team he was drafted to.

2. Vinny, Rick, and Kordell were all third stringers because they were failures. AJ Feely has not proven to be a failure.

That is all I need right now to prove your flawed samples.

you make a good point but do not prove my theory flawed. I simply stated that not all 3rd stringers are diamonds in the rough. i didn't say they all had the same QB style as Feeley.

so you are both correct, and wrong.

i hope that Feeley a closet-GREAT QB... i really do. that would be ONE less thing to worry about in next year's offseason.

and another point i forgot to make on my original post. did you notice that other teams who's OL were not as bad as ours have signed more GOOD offensive lineman than we have.... (i.e. Lions, Bears, etc...) that adds to my frustration.

I never said your theory is wrong, I said your samples are flawed. I don't think that all 3rd stringers are diamonds in the rough. I just think your three examples are more the coal stuck in the bag of diamonds.

i understand your optimism. do you really see feeley as a franchise QB? when people think colts they think manning. when people think packers they think favre. i can go on for at least 20+ teams. Do you forsee Feeley being that for us? i think Rivers would be more akin to that role. Feeley seems like a short-term solution.

I wouldn't mind rivers. I hope Feely turns out to be great. I don't know. I don't have optimism. I have waittoseeism. Rick did his homework, a lot more then I did.

It is like me commenting on the theory of relativity after looking it up in the dictionary. I did some research, but not 1/10th as much as Einstien.

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
i understand your optimism. do you really see feeley as a franchise QB? when people think colts they think manning. when people think packers they think favre. i can go on for at least 20+ teams. Do you forsee Feeley being that for us? i think Rivers would be more akin to that role. Feeley seems like a short-term solution.

I think that we will Draft Rivers and heres why. His contract really boils down to a 2 yr. deal. We keep Jay F. onboard in case Rivers isn't deemed a suitable #2 right away. If he is, Jay goes. If over the 1st 2 yrs of Rivers contract he takes the spot from A.J. then we have a decent back up.

Originally posted by Boomer
How do you know we didn't get who we set out to get? Because the Herald said so??

I think the majority of people believe only what the local rag tells them and would like to see a team stocked full of players that they have heard of, despite their talents or otherwise, rather than actually signing good, solid players for the right money...

Preach it Brother Boomer :yell: ...must be fact because I read it in da Herald :lol: ...how fast the high five crew gets forgotten around these parts

Originally posted by NJPHINFAN

Preach it Brother Boomer :yell: ...must be fact because I read it in da Herald :lol: ...how fast the high five crew gets forgotten around these parts

i hope that was sarcasm!

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
Well apparently i am the only one frustrated....

Did anyone else notice that we didn't really get ANYONE we wanted at ANY position? we lost out on Brunell, Johnson, Garcia, and just about everyone else settling for a person that no one expected and hardly seems like a "savior."

We got rid of a lot of guys on our OL and replaced them with guys who we did not originally have on our list with guys who are of the same ability (or maybe slightly better in the case of james).

our WR situation is still a mess. We lost a pro-bowler on defense and haven't put anyone in his place yet. We are looking at losing another pro-bowler.....

what are we doing? has no one else noticed this? i am not as satisfied as a lot of you are, and feel thus far in Free Agency, we are moving backwards.

-tex

Im not sure where you are going with this, but I think our front office has done an amazing job.

Look at who we targetted.

Woody - Detroit overpaid and we didnt bottomline, we need more than just one guy.

Tait - Didnt like South Florida, not much you can do about that.

We got Jeno James.

McIntosh - Injured what can you do.

Brunel - Redskins overpaid for a QB that might play 10 games tops.

Johnson??? you talking Keyshawn I take it, who cares about him. Plus this years draft has a ton of talent.

We need offensive lineman badly cant argue that, but Im glad miami didnt just toss away all its cash one guy.

And as for Wade not sure what Houston is smoking, Wade is good but not that good =P

Just my opinion and there is plenty of time left for trades and other stuff.

I didnt talk about QB cause I think what ever free agents that were out there were way too much for what we needed. Now if Couch gets released like they say he is, I wouldnt mind us maybe signing him as long as it doesnt cost us a pick.

Re: Re: Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins...

Originally posted by deathdisco

Im not sure where you are going with this, but I think our front office has done an amazing job.

Look at who we targetted.

Woody - Detroit overpaid and we didnt bottomline, we need more than just one guy.

Tait - Didnt like South Florida, not much you can do about that.

We got Jeno James.

McIntosh - Injured what can you do.

Brunel - Redskins overpaid for a QB that might play 10 games tops.

Johnson??? you talking Keyshawn I take it, who cares about him. Plus this years draft has a ton of talent.

We need offensive lineman badly cant argue that, but Im glad miami didnt just toss away all its cash one guy.

And as for Wade not sure what Houston is smoking, Wade is good but not that good =P

Just my opinion and there is plenty of time left for trades and other stuff.

echo, echo, echo. this is exactly what Boomer was saying. However, my point was also that i don't think the office was pursuing these guys enough. too many people are concerned with one guy asking for too much money - it doesn't hurt to pay one guy too much money. we can't have EVERYONE at a rookie's salary. we need to wake up and smell the coffee.

and i was talking about Brad not Keyshawn ;)

and Couch stinks! i'd take Rivers or Losman over him anyday. Couch commands a higher salary than Fiedler, and IMO he's not as good. With the same talent to work with, Couch produced a worse record (when starting).

Back
Top Bottom