Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins...

Re: Re: Re: Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins...

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan

echo, echo, echo. this is exactly what Boomer was saying. However, my point was also that i don't think the office was pursuing these guys enough. too many people are concerned with one guy asking for too much money - it doesn't hurt to pay one guy too much money. we can't have EVERYONE at a rookie's salary. we need to wake up and smell the coffee.

and i was talking about Brad not Keyshawn ;)

and Couch stinks! i'd take Rivers or Losman over him anyday. Couch commands a higher salary than Fiedler, and IMO he's not as good. With the same talent to work with, Couch produced a worse record (when starting).

As far as I can tell Woody never made it to south florida so again what else can they do.

Brad Johnson is an average QB why would go for him???

I dont think Couch sucks at all, couch didnt play on a very good browns team either.

Smell what coffee we cant just throw away cash on average lineman, Woody is good but he isnt the best. He might have been the best this year in free agency.

I dunno its way too early Ill worry about who we have when training camp starts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Frustrated by our FO/POOR free-agency management by 'phins...

Originally posted by deathdisco
As far as I can tell Woody never made it to south florida so again what else can they do.
we sat on making him an offer, expecting him to come down here... however when a desirable player travels, you always throw something on the table over the phone first, to keep them enticed....
Brad Johnson is an average QB why would go for him???
he is wayyy above average QB - we spoke of this already in another thread - check out his stats at www.pro-football-reference.com, he has great numbers. but i don't think he should be our first choice, but he'd be better than Feeley. I think we should get him, cut Fiedler, draft Rivers, and have this as our starting order:
1) Johnson
2) Feeley
3) Rivers (to be groomed under Johnson to replace him next year)

I dont think Couch sucks at all, couch didnt play on a very good browns team either.
couch has shown no spark. Josh McCown worked with less talent on the cardinals and did more. couch had no running back, but 3 decent receivers. couch produced fiedler-like numbers but WITH good receivers. Fiedler had only one good receiver.

Smell what coffee we cant just throw away cash on average lineman, Woody is good but he isnt the best. He might have been the best this year in free agency.
woody's not the best, but he was the best available this offseason. and considering we NEED OL and have money available to spend, why not? we can get WR and QB in the draft - no good OL with experience will be available by our first pick.

I dunno its way too early Ill worry about who we have when training camp starts.
true, but my point on this thread was how poorly the FO has been acting during this FA right now... not about our ultimate personnel roster.

cheers
-tex

FROM WQAM.COM
The drama continues.

It's a case that gets weirder and weirder. The Miami Dolphins on Saturday night thought they Agreed to a six-year deal with tackle Damion McIntosh solving their concerns on the right side of the line.

After wining and dining the South Florida product, McIntosh thought he was a Dolphin after passing a physical and signing a contract that was worth 22.5 million dollars and included a 3 million dollars signing bonus. Ahhh but that was Saturday, on Sunday the franchise received some information that McIntosh failed his physical in Oakland because of a troublesome ankle, that's when Miami requested another look where an M.R.I. found enough evidence that the franchise now wants to back out of the agreement because the player clearly isn't healthy enough to complete this deal. The next step in this process is for both parties to either work it out between themselves or settle it before the players union and league offices.

While the franchise feels they have every right to challenge and void the deal because McIntosh isn't healthy enough to their satisfaction. The former Charger and his agent Steven Feldman also feel they have a binding agreement because he initially passed his physical and they posses a signed six-year contract and what they claim is the support of the N.F.L. players union.

sounds like those guys (mcintosh and his agent) are trying to trick teams if they KNEW they failed their physical.

if they are going to try to pull some lawsuit on us for "verbally agreeing" (which almost surely was PENDING A PASSING PHYSICAL!!!), then i don't want his a$$ anyway)....

Originally posted by BIGO
FROM WQAM.COM
The drama continues.

It's a case that gets weirder and weirder. The Miami Dolphins on Saturday night thought they Agreed to a six-year deal with tackle Damion McIntosh solving their concerns on the right side of the line.

After wining and dining the South Florida product, McIntosh thought he was a Dolphin after passing a physical and signing a contract that was worth 22.5 million dollars and included a 3 million dollars signing bonus. Ahhh but that was Saturday, on Sunday the franchise received some information that McIntosh failed his physical in Oakland because of a troublesome ankle, that's when Miami requested another look where an M.R.I. found enough evidence that the franchise now wants to back out of the agreement because the player clearly isn't healthy enough to complete this deal. The next step in this process is for both parties to either work it out between themselves or settle it before the players union and league offices.

While the franchise feels they have every right to challenge and void the deal because McIntosh isn't healthy enough to their satisfaction. The former Charger and his agent Steven Feldman also feel they have a binding agreement because he initially passed his physical and they posses a signed six-year contract and what they claim is the support of the N.F.L. players union.

How we didnt know about him failing his physical? The last I heard before he came here he wanted to be a Raider more than anything else. Also what kind of physical are we giving and he passes and fails the one in Oakland? On another note you would think Wanny would have called Turner and been like so why didnt you sign him?

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan

you crack me up.

1) i live in texas, don't get the herald, don't read it. didn't even read it when i used to live in florida.

2) i go by what i read and hear on these boards. if you have been reading these boards, you would have see the hullabaloo about the aforementioned players. back in january/february you would be hard-pressed to find a thread that didn't mention Rivers. Now you are calling me delusional. Better call all of fin-heaven that then.

Woody, Tait, Brunell, Johnson, Ramsey, et al had all been RAVED about by everyone on these boards - apparently someone in the miami FO had let wind out about the dolphins looking to sign these guys based on reports..... these were not made up. Granted, i don't think we should OVERpay, but their value is not set.... it depends on how bad your team needs that position. Value is created by demand. Tait i can live with passing on, but i think we should have matched that offer to Woody, if not beat it. After cleaning out our O-Line, we have the room now.

My other beef is with the QB position. is everyone hypocrites now? where are all the true people that were singing the praises of Rivers a month ago, have they all shut up b/c of Feeley?

I don't know how good Feeley is, but is he the answer that made everyone content? The guy was a 3rd stringer last year. And yes, i know Delhomme was a 3rd stringer at one point.... But so was Vinny Testaverde at one point, and so was Kordell Stewart. Rick Mirer was 3rd as well.... Just because ONE guy was successful from 3rd stringer doesn't mean they all are.

You can call me negative. I prefer "realistic." Don't get me wrong - i am a dolphan and ONLY root for the dolphins. I WANT them to win, and because of that, i feel that we have sold ourselves short this offseason. I know the offseason isn't over, but i feel we slept on trades and FA we should have jumped on. We didn't get the name guys we wanted, and instead got a bunch of guys i've never heard of. (except for James, again).

If these guys we did get are that great, (Feeley, the other O-lineman(except james), et al...) i will publicly apologize for making my criticisms on this next season.

But as of now i don't see us making drastic improvements on any front at all....

We essentially traded in our Kia for a Daewoo. (but kept the Kia radio)

-tex

Tex - I'm glad I make you laugh buddy.
What you hear on these boards is generally worse than the Herald. There are a lot of opinions here that make the Herald seem like The Vactican Newsletter.

The majority of people talking about Philip Rivers were people that had ONLY seen him in the Senior Bowl, rather than studied him for four years. They see one game, where, against DB's that played between 10-14 yards off the line, and no blitz, he played well and all of a sudden are ready to annoit him to Canton. The majority of people with a little more nouse are a lot more cautious. And anyone who still believes that with 1 1st rounder, that we'll draft Rivers should be institutionalised.

AJ Feeley may turn out to be a non factor. But he has shown both at Oregon and for the Eagles that he can do it. If he hadn't hurt his elbow when he was with the Ducks, you are looking at nothing worse than a 2nd rounder. But he gets hurt, Joey Harington comes in and AJ ends up in the 5th.

Anywhere else I wouldn't believe the comment that we "slept on trades and FA" but on Fin Heaven I can. Just because you haven't heard of Howard or Chris Akins, does that make them bad signings? Len Pasqarelli who is about as good as it gets journalist wise listed a top 15 of best value players available in free agency. We have 3 of that list. We STILL have money to sign players later in free agency, we still have money to sign guys after June 1st, we still have money to ink Ogunleye.

This Miami team is a lot better than it was 7 days ago. We now have the best run blocking LG in free agency alongside an All Rookie LT that is going to get stronger and better and who Jeff Fisher called "one heck of a player" after watching him on film. We have a center, we are looking at decent quality RG's such as Bobbie Williams and the McIntosh deal will likely get worked out - this is a guy who started 2 years running at LT for the Chargers, blocking for arguably the best TB in football as he ran all over the NFL.

We now have 3 top notch corners - remember, the nickel back played 60% of snaps last year and Madison isn't getting any younger and Pat's knees are now a genuine concern. We cut the dross from the roster - Ruddy, Perry, Marion - we put in young guys like Arturo Freeman, who many people, myself included think can be a heck of a player.

The comment that Woody, Tait, Brunell, Johnson, Ramsey had been raved about on these boards is neither here nor there. Last time I looked these boards weren't the front office of the Miami Dolphins. Get into cap situations with Woody and drastically overpay when you have Ricky, Chambers and Randy Mac's contracts upcoming in 2005? Then people will be bitching because we have to let Chambers go or worse. "Ooh, we overpaid for Woody".

Overpay for a 30 year old RT who isn't nearly as good as these boards make out?

Hey if you're happy with that then good for you. I'm not. These 1st week moves that the Dolphins have made are excellent, whether you like it or not. The argument that you haven't heard of the players, therefore they must be bad moves is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Boomer

The majority of people talking about Philip Rivers were people that had ONLY seen him in the Senior Bowl, rather than studied him for four years. They see one game, where, against DB's that played between 10-14 yards off the line, and no blitz, he played well and all of a sudden are ready to annoit him to Canton. The majority of people with a little more nouse are a lot more cautious. And anyone who still believes that with 1 1st rounder, that we'll draft Rivers should be institutionalised.

I have seen the kid play for 4 years not just one game and he IS special. Will he be a hall of fame qb? Who knows but he was a standout at NCSU from the very 1st season he was there.

Boomer and Death, you guys are right on. Your posts are a nice change of pace from all the other crap we have to read on here. Nice to see you guys tell it like how real fans see it.

How do you know we didn't get who we set out to get? Because the Herald said so?? Come on. Would you rather we overpaid for John Tait, the 5th best OLman on the Chiefs, who is 30 years old at seasons start and who isn't tough enough? Or Damian Woody who the SB winning Patriots deemed surplus to requirements and for whom the Lions seriously overpaid?

In terms of who else we "missed" - Brunell never was given the opportunity to speak to us and if we had given up a 3rd rounder for him, that would have been ridiculous. Johnson...I assume that's Brad Johnson....who is about to be replaced by Jeff Garcia....and there was no firm steer that the 9ers were going to let him go.

We signed a top quality LG, a 2 year starting CB who will really help our defense, one of the best STers in the league - we lost a well respected RT solely because HE FAILED HIS PHYSICAL.

I think the majority of people believe only what the local rag tells them and would like to see a team stocked full of players that they have heard of, despite their talents or otherwise, rather than actually signing good, solid players for the right money, when you consider we have a Pro Bowl DE who needs a contract and a star tb, #1 WR and great looking TE who all need new contracts in a years time.

And ANYONE who thinks Miami is drafting Philip Rivers is delusional beyond belief.

Dammit a duck is a duck dude!
It is quite obvious how this franchise has blown chunks so far.
As a fan, who cares how much it costs to get your guy? I bet the Lions fans are not pissed off how much they paid to get Woody!
DolFans here would have applauded from here to the mountain top if we would have landed him.
So saying we would have overpaid is overrated.

Look at Mcintosh....he failed his physical after agreeing on a contract for Gods sake! Why would a competent FO even FU like that??

The only thing we can do is hope for the best now.....and drink heavily.

Originally posted by Superself

Dammit a duck is a duck dude!
It is quite obvious how this franchise has blown chunks so far.
As a fan, who cares how much it costs to get your guy? I bet the Lions fans are not pissed off how much they paid to get Woody!

As a fan you should care if your team is over paying for talent. I think it's very important. However I understand some fans do not like dealing with the reality called the "NFL CAP".

Those Lion fans will care if and when Woody no longer gives 100% or if it negatively effects their pursuit of another player in FA in the future, Or if a good player has to be released in the future to keep that player that they over paid for years before.

IMO it's very important. Of course not everyone is able to run their franchise like a Madden football team like Snyder, and that is why some fans get so frustrated.

Oliver...

first off, good post boomer!

Tex - I'm glad I make you laugh buddy.
What you hear on these boards is generally worse than the Herald. There are a lot of opinions here that make the Herald seem like The Vactican Newsletter.
what you hear on these boards is a mix of opinions and links to articles on espn, nfl.com, fanball.com, and local newspapers. when you hear similar stories from multiple sources, you can't assume its always speculation.

i don't like this comment - 1 b/c its not true. 2 - i had seen him play in a couple of games.... i am not the biggest college football fan, but i catch at least one to two games a weekend, and had heard of him and seen him play... this was wayyy before i even though about us drafting a QB, but had remembered him from the game. Secondly, stats don't lie. Rivers did manage to set some records, and not every QB is able to do that.

AJ Feeley may turn out to be a non factor. But he has shown both at Oregon and for the Eagles that he can do it. If he hadn't hurt his elbow when he was with the Ducks, you are looking at nothing worse than a 2nd rounder. But he gets hurt, Joey Harington comes in and AJ ends up in the 5th.
how do you know Feeley can do it? i am not saying he can't, but unlike Rivers, i have (and most no one on these boards) has seen him play. taking the word of a couple of eagles fan who had seen him clean up for whatever mess Detmer had started doesn't count. my point here is you claiming feeley is our answer is no more valid than me claiming rivers.

Anywhere else I wouldn't believe the comment that we "slept on trades and FA" but on Fin Heaven I can. Just because you haven't heard of Howard or Chris Akins, does that make them bad signings?
not it doesn't make them "bad" signings... but i feel we could have done better with other higher-rated players available out there. yes occasionally you get the no-name player who is great, but 9 times out of 10 a big name player produces, and its a safer move. How many "no namers" have we signed in the last two years that turned out to be nobodys for us? almost all of them!

Len Pasqarelli who is about as good as it gets journalist wise listed a top 15 of best value players available in free agency. We have 3 of that list. We STILL have money to sign players later in free agency, we still have money to sign guys after June 1st, we still have money to ink Ogunleye.
what that Pasqarelli list doesn' t take into account is what we need. Marion may be considered a "top free agent prospect", but just b/c he is doesn't mean we needed him - so we cut him. we NEED O-lineman in free agency now... bet you we don't have ONE of the top 15 O-lineman in FA (well, maybe one with Jeno).... and i WANT to re-sign O-gun. i don't think getting rid of him is the answer.

This Miami team is a lot better than it was 7 days ago. We now have the best run blocking LG in free agency alongside an All Rookie LT that is going to get stronger and better and who Jeff Fisher called "one heck of a player" after watching him on film.
you can't say our team is better when we haven't even filled up the empty spots yet. you can say that cutting who we did was a good move, but until we sign someone to fill that is an unfair statment. how do you know we won't sign some schmuck in Wade or Nail's spot? if we do, then we are moving backwards. The "best run-blocking LG in free agency" is your opinion, although i don't doubt James' ability. that Rookie LT you speak of caused more fumbles last year (indirectly) than any other player on our team. Jeff Fisher complimented him after they romped us 30-something to barely 7.

We have a center, we are looking at decent quality RG's such as Bobbie Williams and the McIntosh deal will likely get worked out - this is a guy who started 2 years running at LT for the Chargers, blocking for arguably the best TB in football as he ran all over the NFL.
Bobbie Williams would not be our team's first or even second choice - seems like a "settle for" if you ask me.... McIntosh needs surgery, don't even know if he will remain on the phins, and if he does, will he be ready in time? he is another "settle for" choice anyway.. even Norv wouldn't sign him with the Raiders who need an OL just as bad as we do...

We now have 3 top notch corners - remember, the nickel back played 60% of snaps last year and Madison isn't getting any younger and Pat's knees are now a genuine concern. We cut the dross from the roster - Ruddy, Perry, Marion - we put in young guys like Arturo Freeman, who many people, myself included think can be a heck of a player.
agreed.

The comment that Woody, Tait, Brunell, Johnson, Ramsey had been raved about on these boards is neither here nor there. Last time I looked these boards weren't the front office of the Miami Dolphins.
correct, these board are not the miami dolphins, but the players the dolphins are pursuing are spoken about on these boards b/c they are read in articles on espn.com, cbs sportsline, nfl.com, fanball.com, and the dolphins website. it is known who the phins are pursuing, thats how the names come up on finheaven. when all those names come up as "meeting in florida with the phins", and they can't sign ANY of them, thats very discouraging (not all of them came to florida, i know).

Get into cap situations with Woody and drastically overpay when you have Ricky, Chambers and Randy Mac's contracts upcoming in 2005? Then people will be bitching because we have to let Chambers go or worse. "Ooh, we overpaid for Woody".
its easy to sit back and say the same thing about Fiedler and others we overpayed... but we don't. we just move on. i don't think we would have overpayed for Woody... we have the room as of now and it would have finished up our O-Line problems.

Overpay for a 30 year old RT who isn't nearly as good as these boards make out?
again, "overpay" is relative. its not overpaying if that is the position you need the most and the player in question is the best available.

Hey if you're happy with that then good for you. I'm not. These 1st week moves that the Dolphins have made are excellent, whether you like it or not. The argument that you haven't heard of the players, therefore they must be bad moves is ridiculous.
misconstruing my point - i don't mean me specifically hearing of these players. i mean they are no-namers. if they are so great at run-blocking and pass protection, how come you never hear of them? how come they never go to the pro-bowl. i mean that kind of stuff when i say we have never heard of them. (don't take me so literal).

you make good points boomer, and i applaud your efforts to be optimistic. in some respects, this FA period hasn't been a TOTAL loss, i just feel that we weren't as aggressive as we could have been, and as of now, i don't see on o-line improvement (save for Jeno) over last year. i will change my tune when i see good pass protection next year and ricky starting to get 100-yard games again and a higher than 3.5 yard per rush average.

don't think i am negative about this team... i am not (even though this aqualuv guy likes to think so.....) i am critical of the moves made in the offseason. but thats it. and hearing his beef from a person [aqualuv] who never posts or contributes to this board is negative itself, considering he never posts anything to support his "positivity." just two negative posts out of nowhere bashing others on here. man, if you are going to start talking like that, then take the high road and do what Boomer does - make a good arguement and prove people wrong. don't just start bitching.

-tex

Originally posted by ohall

As a fan you should care if your team is over paying for talent. I think it's very important. However I understand some fans do not like dealing with the reality called the "NFL CAP".

Those Lion fans will care if and when Woody no longer gives 100% or if it negatively effects their pursuit of another player in FA in the future, Or if a good player has to be released in the future to keep that player that they over paid for years before.

IMO it's very important. Of course not everyone is able to run their franchise like a Madden football team like Snyder, and that is why some fans get so frustrated.

Oliver...
OK, you gave your opinion if things fell apart negatively, now what happens if the Woody signing really gave them more than they bargained for?? You cannot put a price tag on that.

You work out the contract so that it is beneficial to both parties. Miami seems to not know how to do that. Woody's contract may seem huge, but I bet the Lions made it cap friendly for them where they can still get more players if they have to.

I think RS clearly has a plan, and has approached the players that fit in with that plan. They were not able to speak to some, found others more expensive then they thought they were worth, and signed others.

The front office has said they want to improve the QB, WR and OL positions. They have clearly targeted OL in FA and are still making moves - there's a lot of time left on the clock there. WR is apparently set for R1 of the draft, where it seems likely we will get a shot at a decent (potential) player at our draft position. QB - RS did his research and believes he has an answer there in Feeley. You can disagree, but right now, I'll side with him, his reseach, and his experience. We'll see how it works out.

I don't expect to draft a QB in Round One unless we get a major WR aquisition, or have a second first round pick. Even then, it's possible the front office will use that pick elsewhere - O-Line, LB, DT, Safety, there are many options depending on who is available.

The day a coach or GM listens to the fans is the day he gets fired.

That old cliché rings LOUD and TRUE. as much as we like to believe we have good opinions, most of us don't and would fail miserably as a GM.

All Rick et al do all dat is eat sleep talk live football. They WATCH game tape of thousands of players, and form opinions after that.

We see a guy catch 1 ball on a seem route and anoint him as the next "can't miss" prospect.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
The day a coach or GM listens to the fans is the day he gets fired.

That old cliché rings LOUD and TRUE. as much as we like to believe we have good opinions, most of us don't and would fail miserably as a GM.

All Rick et al do all dat is eat sleep talk live football. They WATCH game tape of thousands of players, and form opinions after that.

We see a guy catch 1 ball on a seem route and anoint him as the next "can't miss" prospect.

very well said. respectfully puts me in my place.

Back
Top Bottom