Gadsden to return to Fins for league minimum | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gadsden to return to Fins for league minimum

SMadison29

What Sherman aspires to be
Reaction score
http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/patriots/nflnt05252003.htm

Too little too late

Most NFL free agents finally seem to have realized that the longer they hold out for big money, the less likely they are to get it. There are still some who have yet to learn the lesson, however.

One is receiver Oronde Gadsden, who turned down a multi-year deal including a $750,000 signing bonus from Miami last September. Gadsden shopped himself around the league in March looking for $1 million a year. After not getting it, he and his agent fibbed to the Dolphins, telling them Gadsden had received contract offers from other teams - including a fictitious offer from the Pats. Now Gadsden will have to settle for a one-year deal from the Dolphins worth the veteran minimum ($530,000) plus incentives.

Gadsden is the latest player to learn that, when it comes to the NFL, the first offer is often the best.

Interesting. I'm still torn I think Gadsden could be a wonderful role player that would help us win games but on the other hand I would really like to see some of our young guys like JR Tolver, Kendall Newson, or Robert Baker have a shot at making the #4 spot on the roster so that they have the chance and playing time opportunities to develop a little and grow and maybe turn out to be something for us...Most especially Tolver and to some degree Newson. At this point I'm almost ready to say to Gadsden you abandoned us and a chance at a championship to try and get more money elsewhere...you made your bed now go sleep in it.

I don't like it. Would of rather kept some youth. Hopefully he will get beat out at camp.

I was a big fan of Gadsden and he could be a big asset once again if he comes back (as a situational player on 3rd down or at the goal line), but the way he has threated the Dolphins each year has turn me off. I would just let him where he is. But maybe he has learn his lesson now.

And I really hope they will give a fair chance to Tolver.

If we sign Gadsden, that would basically be the end of Tolver. Even if Gadsden was outplayed by Tolver, Gadsden would probably make the roster over Tolver.

Its a quandary. Tolver looked impressive so far but until we get him in pads what do we really know about him or Newson. The only known quantity of the younger guys is Robert Baker so I guess the only thing to gauge whether we should get OG or not is "Do we feel comfortable with a guy of Robert Baker's talent level being our #4 WR"

The worst case scenario if we don't sign Gadsden is that Baker's production in Europe was a fluke and he's no more talented than in years past, meanwhile Tolver and Newson just plain aren't ready to be seeing action in NFL games. Thats the worst case. The best case scenario is Tolver gets into pads and still keeps making impressive catches and whatnot and he becomes something of a rookie sensation even better than OG with high hopes for a nice bright future with the Dolphins.

I think even if OG is signed, the coaches will set aside a roster spot for Tolver if he continues to look impressive in camp.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If we sign Gadsden, that would basically be the end of Tolver. Even if Gadsden was outplayed by Tolver, Gadsden would probably make the roster over Tolver.

Then this would be a good thing.....If Tolver is not good enough to beat out a "so-called" old, slow, injurie-prone Gadsden, then why should Tolver even be at #4???

Personally, I dont think we're bringing Gadsden in here to compete for a starting job, we're bringing him in for certain situations and plays (i.e. Red Zone offense) and to help out the offense.

Im so happy Gadsen is back. now everyone can stop gettin hyped about these young receivers they never even seen in pads. All you guys will be saying im glad we signed OG back. He will be a key to our offense.

I don't think OG is a red zone threat anymore. yeah that fade to the corner was nice at first. But i remember it being broken up alot more than it goig for 6.

This makes our offseason go from tha B to a C in my books..:rolleyes:

There is no guarentee we even take him back at the minimum. We aren't ever going into 4 WR sets. The most we will do is 3 WR sets which means Chambers/McKnight/Thompson. Tolver and the rest of the kiddies would then be vying to be the #4 or what I affectionately call "not getting on the field for anything short of an injury".

By the way that article doesn't say he's back and he isn't yet. Everyone is just assuming he will be back. Even if he does it won't be as a starter.

Originally posted by SMadison29
http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/patriots/nflnt05252003.htm

Too little too late

Most NFL free agents finally seem to have realized that the longer they hold out for big money, the less likely they are to get it. There are still some who have yet to learn the lesson, however.

One is receiver Oronde Gadsden, who turned down a multi-year deal including a $750,000 signing bonus from Miami last September. Gadsden shopped himself around the league in March looking for $1 million a year. After not getting it, he and his agent fibbed to the Dolphins, telling them Gadsden had received contract offers from other teams - including a fictitious offer from the Pats. Now Gadsden will have to settle for a one-year deal from the Dolphins worth the veteran minimum ($530,000) plus incentives.

Gadsden is the latest player to learn that, when it comes to the NFL, the first offer is often the best.

I see no where there where it says Gadsden is coming back to the Dolphins. It implies he will have to take the league minimum if he wants to return to the Dolphins.

It's assuming the Dolphins would still want him. Although Wanny has said the door is never closed why would they spend that much $ on an old injury proned player like Gadsden? There is entirely too much WR talent on this team for us to have to settle on a Gadsden now.

I could have seen this before the draft, but not now.

Oliver...

I think if anybody loses their spot it won't be Tolver....It will more likely be Newsom or Baker.....Tolver would probably be the 5th receiver assuming he keeps looking good after the pads go on.

Last edited:
'The door never being closed' on Oronde pretty much means that the Dolphins have the veteran's minimum at the least on the table for Oronde and he could come back for that veteran's minimum anytime he wants.

Because, if you're not willing to pay the very lowest amount of money you are allowed to pay him, the door would be "closed" on OG.

BTW someone asked a while ago if Michael Todd was anyone else's agent. He use to be Priest Holmes' agent until a year ago when Priest fired him in favor of Todd France. Hmm. I wonder if OG should take a hint...

Yeah the 4th WR would play sparingly provided everyone stays healthy but when does that ever happen. I mean James McKnight was our 4th WR going into the season and ended up with 450 some odd receiving yards.

Back
Top Bottom