Gardener Situation Is Interesting...missed Practice. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Situation Is Interesting...missed Practice.

Gardner's base salary over the length of his contract:

2002 - 2635000.00
2003 - 5720000.00
2004 - 5800000.00
2005 - 5860000.00
2006 - 6750000.00
2007 - 7250000.00

Originally posted by Muck
Hey, we had trouble stopping the run last year. So Gardener at LE makes sense. The Panthers did the same thing to us. They put Sean Gilbert at LE to shut down the run.

Heh bad example don't you think? How many yards did Smith run on them?

Yeah the Panthers moved Gilbert out to end, took some excess pads off him, and had Gilbert, Chester, and someone else I forget who on the DL...and they basically CONTROLLED our running game. However, in that game because of the experiment I believe they were more susceptible to the play-action bootleg cuz Sean Gilbert wasn't playing disciplined at end, he was biting on play-action everytime and we always ended up fine on the bootlegs.

Unfortunately next week when we tried it against the next opponent they were never fooled and always had an end blaze out to get Jay Fiedler on the bootleg.

With the setup we're talking about, Chester, Gardener, JT, and Bowens on the DL, we will be susceptible to the more mobile QBs I think.

No matter how you look at it, Gardener has a salary that's just too damn big. You know that he's not going to survive an entire season anymore. Once a players back goes to hell it's the beginning of the end.

DG will be a force to be reckoned with. If not with the Dolphins, I would hate for us to have to face him in antoher color uni!

Originally posted by burghPhinFan
Yes, but he did stay a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!

You guys kill me. :lol: :lol:

I love this place :D

When making the decision to release a player, the bonus amortization IS what drives the decision. Salary is pure cap savings, however, bonus amortization bites ya in the backside eventually.

grooves12: How much was the signing bonus when he signed his 8 yr deal? Divide that number by 6 yrs......that's the bonus amortization. That amount cannot be re-amortized......

Yeah but after June 1st the Phins get to place half of that amortization against this year's cap (meaning it would be cap savings = 2.65mil - 0.5(amortizedremainingbonus))

And next year in 2003 our cap savings would be 5.72 - 0.5(amortizedremainingbonus)

Hmmm guess my memory is failing me. Thought it was the Carolina game that Smith had his rare decent game against.

clumpedplatelet: I haven't been able to find a report that lists the amount of his signing bonus when originally signed, but Im sure we could figure it out based on your base salary numbers. Do you have Gardener's base salary numbers for 2000 and 2001 (The first two years of his contract)??

But, like you said ... the signing bonus cannot be re-amortized, and since I (and you) were originally figuring the amortization through 2007... when in fact it would be only to 2005, it looks like we would actually SAVE money if he were released next year.

But, either way... there really is no advantage to releasing him THIS year, as there aren't any free agents available that are worthy of the savings we would have avilable next year. So, even if there is a problem with Gardener... he will get a chance to play this year... and if he fails it is likely he will be on the cutting block come next June 1.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Hmmm guess my memory is failing me. Thought it was the Carolina game that Smith had his rare decent game against.

11/04 23-6 W Phins VS CAR

RUSHING
L. Smith
ATT YDS TD FUM
18 37 0 0

If you can call 18 rushes for 37 yards decent...we maybe looking at two different sports. But in Football,,,,That's Crap-ola

Last edited by a moderator:
No....that WAS a decent game for Lamar last year. No fumbles.;)

Back
Top Bottom