Gase has won 9 of his last 10 games with a bad roster | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase has won 9 of his last 10 games with a bad roster

What Gase did is something no Miami coach since Shula did: EVALUATE THE TALENT ON THE ROSTER AND SET UP A SYSTEM THAT WORKS FOR THE TALENT. Every coach we've had between Shula and Gase had their own idea for systems regardless of the talent on the roster. Whether it be more running or passing, 4-3 or 3-4 or hybrid defense, etc.. , every coach has come in with an idea of what THEY wanted, which is why nearly all of them gutted the coaching staff and tried to replace the QB. Gase came in to a team that was already half-built and found a way to win with the personnel we had! THAT is what makes him a great coach!

A man became a horse in our backfield. If one wants to chalk that up to Gase, ok.

Except this team has won when he has played poorly...and Gase's handling of Ajayi is part of the reason he has had the turn around we have witnessed.

When you look at coaching you have to look at if he is getting the most out of his players...Gase does, and not just lower level starters, but our elite players as well. Wake and Suh are having perhaps the best years of their careers. We have had success while losing our best offensive player and our second best defender. Gase has done a remarkable job with this team and much sooner then I think many had anticipated. I mean he has comepletely changed the culture and attitude of the team, after a 1-4 start and some embarassingly bad football, he kept at it, he tought these guys to not give up, take ownership of themselves and the success of this team. He showed that he will take blame when things are his fault and is willing to listen to his players and give them credit for success. Some can try to downplay what he has done, but it is perhaps the most impressive feat in the NFL this season, that includes players,

This is not the type of results we should expect every year for close games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that is a legit counterpoint. And have kinda inferred that elsewhere. So yea, we have to learn to win and then learn to BEAT TEAMS, which is another level.

With a few tweaks and improvements in development -- we should be able to do that.

But certainly (100% agree) it's pretty much impossible to win consistently in close games.

Sooner or later you'll be on the short side.

Except this team has won when he has played poorly...and Gase's handling of Ajayi is part of the reason he has had the turn around we have witnessed.

When you look at coaching you have to look at if he is getting the most out of his players...Gase does, and not just lower level starters, but our elite players as well. Wake and Suh are having perhaps the best years of their careers. We have had success while losing our best offensive player and our second best defender. Gase has done a remarkable job with this team and much sooner then I think many had anticipated. I mean he has comepletely changed the culture and attitude of the team, after a 1-4 start and some embarassingly bad football, he kept at it, he tought these guys to not give up, take ownership of themselves and the success of this team. He showed that he will take blame when things are his fault and is willing to listen to his players and give them credit for success. Some can try to downplay what he has done, but it is perhaps the most impressive feat in the NFL this season, that includes players,

I pretty much agree with your assertion -- but it's also good to keep in mind we have NOT had a difference maker @HC for so long it's easy to be overly impressed with Gase for that reason.

Next step is consistency and continued improvement. So let's just hang like the team -- and keep it real one game at a time.

Its still a bad roster:

The Dolphins' 9-1 record in their last 10 games is incredible for so many reasons, but none more so than this: Their defense isn't just bad. It's historically bad.

If the Patriots gain at least 345 yards in next Sunday's finale, the Dolphins will have surrendered the most yards in a season in the team's 51-year history. After allowing an absurd 589 in Saturday night's win over Buffalo, the Dolphins ranked 30th league-wide in total defense (381.7 yards per game) heading into Sunday's action.

That is more per game than what Miami gave up in 1986 (378.1), when opposing teams gained a franchise-worst 6,070 yards.

The Dolphins also rank 30th in rush defense, allowing 141.8 per game -- most since their one-win 2007 campaign

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article122934939.html#storylink=cpy

If we haven't seen the importance of coaching in the NFL based on the Dolphins season then there is no hope for you. The squad has a lot of holes but coaching has managed to make up for a lot of it. Won't work in the playoffs but they have taken this team further than I thought possible.

To me the measure of a good coach is this: does he adjust to his players or does he expect them to fit in his system?

Gase has made a difference. He recognizes what each player contributes and game plans accordingly. That is a solid impact.

Did he make each guy a better player? No. He made everyone on offense better by putting them in a position to succeed.

That's good coaching. I hope he can sustain it over a period of years.

In defense of UK, we've had a lot of guys step up and also develop. If you told this board back in August we'd be in playoff contention with Andre Branch, Tony Lippett, Bacari Rambo, and Spencer Paysinger getting meaningful minutes they'd make fun of you.
that list used to read like a "Who the hell is that" type.

26.1 ppg since cutting the worst guards in the NFL.

Just throwing that out there.

Imagine having Pouncey healthy all year, with Reshad not missing time and Howard not getting hurt. I know all teams get hurt over the course of the year but to get to 10 wins without the majority of those guys is amazing.

You think we'd have won them better? LOL... just picking.

It reminded me of a retired client with a bit of times on his hands. I'd won a trial for him then afterwards, he'd poked around in some procedural rules and found that we could have asked for a jury, then wondered why I didn't. Asked him the same thing, "Mr. XXXX, do you think we'd have won it better with a jury?".

10 wins per season for 35 years. (Shula)
Gase is on his way!

In defense of UK, we've had a lot of guys step up and also develop. If you told this board back in August we'd be in playoff contention with Andre Branch, Tony Lippett, Bacari Rambo, and Spencer Paysinger getting meaningful minutes they'd make fun of you.

Absolutely right they would have laughed you off this board and beating the jets and Bills on the road in Dec and with Moore suddenly filling in for a injured RT I would have joined those fans laughing at you. Moore looked pretty bad in preseason and also was knocked out with a concussion. I kept expecting him to try and run these last couple of games and throw LOTS of his trademark floaters that the past few years have turned into interceptions in the preseason. Sure enough he threw a couple but Gase was able to keep Moore in the pocket no scrambles and tone down his air ball or improve it take your choice. Great coaching.

Imagine what this guy could do with a good team? We have a young coaching god running this team. Start designing a statue for him.
I disagree that we have a bad roster... Take a look at how many 1st round and 2nd round picls we have on both sides of the field!!! On offense I can count 6 or 7 starters who were drafted in the 1st round including Tannnehill. I do agree that we have the worst LB's in the league and maybe Philbin didn't coach these guys properly to make them reach their full potentials. But to say that we have a bad roster, that's not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom