Gase:"i was off calling plays", and other quotes/tweets | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase:"i was off calling plays", and other quotes/tweets

I don't blame Gase for keeping things tight. Game 1, bedding Cutler in, protecting a defense missing Timmons, road game against a team who loves shootouts...

But that doesn't absolve him of some total headscratcher calls, a few of which were drivekillers. Force-feeding Jarvis short of the first down marker in triple coverage, reverses, screens, that QB keeper (wtf?)...

And I thought we were very slow in the second half to rein in the blitzes when Rivers was killing us with short dumpoff passes over the heads of the blitzing LBs and safeties. Gase has to intervene there if Burke is slow to react.

The challenge was spot on and we were robbed of an overturned call. The timeout was clear enough- to buy us a play if the Bolts had made the kick.

But before we all hail the great orchestrator Gase, a routine (and probably deserved) FG conversion would have sent us home with a loss.

With his terrible, horrific 1st half playcalling it really hinders use of players because we just do not have many offensive plays. 3 and out, 3 and out, punt, punt, punt.
I like Gase but it is unforgivable that other players that could make big plays for us have no involvement. Look at what Grant was able to do on outside?
Get Drake some run or put him in slot for receptions.
I will not give Gase any benefit of doubt if we see the same thing next week.

And yes it shows that the slow starts were not all RT

Last edited:
Too much force-feeding of Landry, I don't like it. Landry was targeted 15 times as a WR. Handled the ball two times as a rusher (one of which ended in a throwaway pass). 17 touches for 71 yards. About 4.18 yards per play.

By comparison, Ajayi had 30 touches (28 rushes and 2 targets) for 126 total yards for a 4.2 yards per play average.

Landry gets the ball too close to or behind the line of scrimmage. Just too low of an opportunity for a big play. I just think these touches could be more productive somewhere else.

Landry gets the ball so much because he's open so much and he's one of two receivers we have that can make people miss once he gets the ball in his hands. Not sure what there is not to like about having a go to guy that you can count on to get you key first downs and make plays once he gets the ball. He would have had a TD too if not for a off target pass. I love it.

Landry gets the ball so much because he's open so much and he's one of two receivers we have that can make people miss once he gets the ball in his hands. Not sure what there is not to like about having a go to guy that you can count on to get you key first downs and make plays once he gets the ball. He would have had a TD too if not for a off target pass. I love it.

It results in 1 TD
Think about how much more gain on plays he would get if we used our other weapons to take pressure off him?

definitely piss poor play calling especially in the red zone. When it's second and short take a shot a big play once in a while so we don't have an obvious pass play on the 3rd and 7 or so plays. I think Gase dropped the ball on this (as he has realized so kudos to him). I expect improvement and progress because our O should be killer with the talent we have. And I thought Cutler played very well even with that miss to Landry in the zone. You can feel he wants to go to DVP deep.

the landry screen pass is essentially just a wasted down 90-95% of the time. If gase is dead-set on running the wr screen throw it to someone else like grant or stills, landry is probably the best blocking receiver we have. Id prefer we dont even do the play, maybe throw it in once a game but if we must try it to someone else, please.
I wish we could scrap the WR screen from our playbook. We haven't run it effectively in at least a decade. It nearly cost us the last field goal by Parkey

Targeting Landry 15 times is all part of a large scale plan. We can tell him no other team will target him that many times. It's a ploy to sign him to a contract extension during the season. ;)

It wasn't close. Just another typically bad call by NFL officials.
lets not forget about the absolute crap call of Pass Interference in the endzone on Jones, that ball was uncatchable!! Set up Chargers with 1st and Goal from the 1!!!

The reverse to Landry was to setup the Landry pass. Though it didn't work, there was a reason for being called. Some of the other plays were bad but it got much better in the 2nd half.

Back
Top Bottom