Gase: "I’d like to draft a quarterback every year." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase: "I’d like to draft a quarterback every year."

foozool13

#12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This is music to my ears. I love that Gase understands you MUST have a legitimate QB or you are going no where.

Until you have a franchise QB, it really doesn't matter how many other moves you make (95% of the time, yes there are a few exceptions). You can add tons of talent, but in the end you need a franchise QB, no way around it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/28/adam-gase-id-like-to-draft-a-quarterback-every-year/

At a meeting with the media in Indianapolis on Wednesday, Dolphins coach Adam Gase didn’t rule that out as a possibility. Gase said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, that he’d “like to draft a quarterback every year” while also making it clear that he’s not looking for someone to supplant Ryan Tannehill as the starter.

I just look at the NFL mock draft board and all 4 of their "experts" have the dolphins taking someone different at 11
these are the 4 guys they have for us,
Allen
Nelson
Smith
Davenport

These draft boards have players all over the place and with all the smoke screen that goes on is very hard to tell what's what. I believe this is one of the most unpredictable drafts ever

Ozzy rules!!

Smart philosophy. We should draft a QB every season. Take the Ron Wolf approach. If nothing else, spin the excess guys off for draft picks. Win-win for everyone. Gase is a smart man.

I decided to research Ron Wolf's success rate.

Year Round Player Result
1992 9 Ty Detmer Left via FA in 1996
1993 5 Mark Brunell Traded for 3rd and 5th round picks.
1995 5 Jay Barker Didn't make team
1996 7 Kyle Wachholtz Didn't make team
1997 7 Ronnie McAda Didn't make team
1998 6 Matt Hasselbeck In 2001, the Packers traded him, along with their first draft pick (17th overall), to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks (72nd overall).
1999 4 Aaron Brooks The Packers traded Brooks and tight end Lamont Hall to the Saints for linebacker K. D. Williams and the Saints' third round pick in the 2001 draft ahead of the 2000 season.

7 QBs taken. 4 returned nothing. 2 netted about an extra third round pick. One netted a bump up from 4th round to 3rd round. Two ended up being quality starters.

It is important to realize that the highest round used was 4th. We are talking third day fliers, not early picks. I'd be onboard with that.

Tannehill is Gase’s guy! That’s why he took the job! Tannehill is his QB this season! End of story! QB is the least of Miami’s problems!

I decided to research Ron Wolf's success rate.

Year Round Player Result
1992 9 Ty Detmer Left via FA in 1996
1993 5 Mark Brunell Traded for 3rd and 5th round picks.
1995 5 Jay Barker Didn't make team
1996 7 Kyle Wachholtz Didn't make team
1997 7 Ronnie McAda Didn't make team
1998 6 Matt Hasselbeck In 2001, the Packers traded him, along with their first draft pick (17th overall), to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks (72nd overall).
1999 4 Aaron Brooks The Packers traded Brooks and tight end Lamont Hall to the Saints for linebacker K. D. Williams and the Saints' third round pick in the 2001 draft ahead of the 2000 season.

7 QBs taken. 4 returned nothing. 2 netted about an extra third round pick. One netted a bump up from 4th round to 3rd round. Two ended up being quality starters.

It is important to realize that the highest round used was 4th. We are talking third day fliers, not early picks. I'd be onboard with that.

I'm also considering what Atlanta did with Matt Schaub, what Philly did to us with AJ Feeley, etc., as well in all of this too. It's not a bad return rate at all, which is what you've pointed out.

While I'd draft a guy in the 1st/2nd round this year, it's not something I'd do every year, but I'd certainly take a flyer on a guy every year in the later rounds for sure...just like Ron Wolf used to. It can definitely pay itself back quite well.

I'm also considering what Atlanta did with Matt Schaub, what Philly did to us with AJ Feeley, etc., as well in all of this too. It's not a bad return rate at all, which is what you've pointed out.

Once you get to the 3rd round, IMO, you should be looking for a player that will help your team, not one that may be tradeable in the future. Too risky IMO.

Back
Top Bottom