Gase: "I’d like to draft a quarterback every year." | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase: "I’d like to draft a quarterback every year."

I decided to research Ron Wolf's success rate.

Year Round Player Result
1992 9 Ty Detmer Left via FA in 1996
1993 5 Mark Brunell Traded for 3rd and 5th round picks.
1995 5 Jay Barker Didn't make team
1996 7 Kyle Wachholtz Didn't make team
1997 7 Ronnie McAda Didn't make team
1998 6 Matt Hasselbeck In 2001, the Packers traded him, along with their first draft pick (17th overall), to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks (72nd overall).
1999 4 Aaron Brooks The Packers traded Brooks and tight end Lamont Hall to the Saints for linebacker K. D. Williams and the Saints' third round pick in the 2001 draft ahead of the 2000 season.

7 QBs taken. 4 returned nothing. 2 netted about an extra third round pick. One netted a bump up from 4th round to 3rd round. Two ended up being quality starters.

It is important to realize that the highest round used was 4th. We are talking third day fliers, not early picks. I'd be onboard with that.
Nice research. I noticed that not one of them was taken in the first or second round. If you're not replacing a quarterback it's a wasted pic, and it doesn't sound like Adam is replacing Tannehill.

I’ve said it before, but the QB draft next year is not very good. I feel if the right guy is there in the first...you grab them. Tannehill is healthy, you play him and QB2 learns. If you feel better about the youngster going forward...you bid a fond farewell to Tannehill and trade him to a solid situation with good compensation. I like Tannehill, but I like the Dolphins more.

I feel like Gase can go cold on ANYONE very fast so I don't think anybody is safe. Lets not gift anyone anything make these guys earn their keep Coach!

Once you get to the 3rd round, IMO, you should be looking for a player that will help your team, not one that may be tradeable in the future. Too risky IMO.

Yeah, but backup QB is pretty useful too, if they're actually good.

I’ve said it before, but the QB draft next year is not very good. I feel if the right guy is there in the first...you grab them. Tannehill is healthy, you play him and QB2 learns. If you feel better about the youngster going forward...you bid a fond farewell to Tannehill and trade him to a solid situation with good compensation. I like Tannehill, but I like the Dolphins more.
This is how I feel too. You don't get many chances at drafting 11 unless you're the browns. We don't know if we'll draft this high again anytime soon. Also, I know Gase likes Tanny and I do too but if he gets hurt again then what? you need a young QB to groom

Ozzy rules!!

I like the Dolphins more too. That's why I want them to fix the biggest issues on the team.

Come on...How can you say QB is the least of our problems when the QB hasn't played in a game for a year and a half!!!

BC as of now it doesnt seem to be lingering problem. They made a mistake in him not having surgery initially. Other than that, it's a non issue. Not sure why this is being blown out of proportion.

Implying RT supporters are Tannehill fans first?! Lol, get real.

As you should. He is clearly referring to the later rounds, thats why he even mentioned doughty.

Never know when youll find a diamond. Someone who can step in when your #1 goes down, or becomes good enough to become a trade piece, or if its that big of a diamond in the rough takeover some day.

Nothing to do with RT really..

Not too surprising, though I doubt he'd actually draft one EVERY year. I'm guessing he doesn't want to risk what happened last year. Tannehill is at risk of re-rupture and at higher risk of rupturing the opposite ACL. If we're in position to draft a potential starter QB, it would make sense to do it versus trusting something that has left you hanging two years in a row.

Back
Top Bottom