Gase Was Going To Fire Burke & Move On From Tannehill But Ross Didn't Want To Win? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase Was Going To Fire Burke & Move On From Tannehill But Ross Didn't Want To Win?

I will say this. I don't know exactly when Gase lost faith in Tannehill but I do think it happened. When he returned from injury the offense changed but not nearly as much as I expected it to. It was still the same stay on schedule with Gore because we have no shot at picking up a 3rd and 7+ offense he ran with Brock. He deserves to take the fall though because he said he could win with Ryan and Cutler and was wrong why would a different QB make a difference?

Sorry, but Mando's speculation dressed up as inside information makes zero sense and he's being more of a mouthpiece for someone with an agenda than anything else. Gase may have controlled the 52 man roster, but in his position he can't control who the team brings in in the offseason, which involves things like negotiating salaries, making cap calculations and more importantly drafting, which was ultimately controlled by Grier and Tannenbaum obviously with input from the head coach.

And we're to believe that somehow wanting to fire Burke and perhaps other members of his staff was something that pushed Ross over the edge. Ross knows about as much about the sport as an average fan, and every single fan would do nothing but talk about how bad Burke was.

What did Gase in is probably the same as Mangini. Both have good football minds, but they have both have an unearned supreme arrogance. Over the past three years Ross let Gase do what he wanted and gave him more control than any young first time head coach could ask for. He put up with some terrible performances during that time and even seemed prepared to forgive bad decisions to cut Suh and Pouncey, but Gase disrespected the guy who cuts the checks. Ross is not the best owner in the world and not by a longshot, but unless he has several Super Bowl rings a coach can't treat his boss that way.

I'm just being honest here: I am extremely skeptical of the report that Steve Ross approached Adam Gase and told him to consider bringing in better guards, and that Gase then started shouting at him.

You could not manufacture a more sympathetic story for ownership to sell after firing the coach.

I agree the shouting bit sounded like some added color (I personally can't envision that, unless Gase was at some sort of breaking point), but the thing that makes me think Ross did indeed ask about the guards were the widespread reports Ross walked into the war room on draft day last year and was trying to advise on what to do. Too many people have reported that Ross likes to advise his employees on what he thinks may be best (and thinks himself entitled to do so as he owns the team) so it's believable...and even a Mr. Magoo could see that the guards were a major issue.

Normally some opinions or advise would be expected from an owner, and I'm sure happens around the league regularly, but the way Gase reacted to players who wanted a say leads me to believe Gase was as closed off managing up as he was managing down. I believe "Too high on his own supply" is a fitting description.

This is obviously all just a guess, but to me the description of the relationship in this article makes too much sense knowing the personality of the players for it to be entirely fictional.

I will say this. I don't know exactly when Gase lost faith in Tannehill but I do think it happened. When he returned from injury the offense changed but not nearly as much as I expected it to. It was still the same stay on schedule with Gore because we have no shot at picking up a 3rd and 7+ offense he ran with Brock. He deserves to take the fall though because he said he could win with Ryan and Cutler and was wrong why would a different QB make a difference?

I may be in the minority here, but I think Gase saw Tannehill's limitations from day 1 and realized he hitched his wagon to a horse with 3 legs. You don't remove the ability to audible and design all of your plays to be within 15 yards with a QB who can handle those things.

Why would he stick so adamantly with a QB that he saw as flawed? One word: Ego. I think Gase thought he could come up with a masterful gameplan that played to his QB's strengths and work from there. Only problem? This gameplan limited a TON on offense, leading to an over-restriction on all of the other players that threw them into awkward situations. His "designing the offense around the QB and moving outward" philosophy also explains his interest in passing more often than not, even when the ground game was far more successful.

Designing your offense around a specific QB is smart in theory, but doesn't allow for injuries or human error on the part of that QB (both of which Tannehill had in spades).

I may be in the minority here, but I think Gase saw Tannehill's limitations from day 1 and realized he hitched his wagon to a horse with 3 legs. You don't remove the ability to audible and design all of your plays to be within 15 yards with a QB who can handle those things.

Why would he stick so adamantly with a QB that he saw as flawed? One word: Ego. I think Gase thought he could come up with a masterful gameplan that played to his QB's strengths and work from there. Only problem? This gameplan limited a TON on offense, leading to an over-restriction on all of the other players that threw them into awkward situations. His "designing the offense around the QB and moving outward" philosophy also explains his interest in passing more often than not, even when the ground game was far more successful.

Designing your offense around a specific QB is smart in theory, but doesn't allow for injuries or human error on the part of that QB (both of which Tannehill had in spades).
Interesting, I view it as the total opposite... I think Gase designed his offense to neuter the QB position and around getting the ball to his playmakers in space. In theory, it'd be a serious advantage as good QBs are so hard to find. Problem is it didnt work in reality...

This is funny all the Gase questioning...

Damn.... Gase is possibly and IMO likely the worst HC the Dolphins have EVER had.... EVER

I can't remember our team being in more shambles and need as it is now..

A team has to be out of their mind to hire him as a Head Coach, but hope the Jets do, though I really doubt it...

The problems with the offense were far more than just Tannehill. What was his plan to fix himself? Fire the DC? lol. The offense was just as bad!

I'm just being honest here: I am extremely skeptical of the report that Steve Ross approached Adam Gase and told him to consider bringing in better guards, and that Gase then started shouting at him.

You could not manufacture a more sympathetic story for ownership to sell after firing the coach.

I'm gonna say what more than likely happened is that Ross asked about upgrading the line and Gase disagreed. Ross may not be a huge football guy but I think even he noticed how bad the OL has been in his tenure.

At the same time I think Ross knows a bit more about football than he gives himself credit for but for whatever reason he just doesnt trust himself to make that decision

I'm gonna say what more than likely happened is that Ross asked about upgrading the line and Gase disagreed. Ross may not be a huge football guy but I think even he noticed how bad the OL has been in his tenure.

At the same time I think Ross knows a bit more about football than he gives himself credit for but for whatever reason he just doesnt trust himself to make that decision

Do you really believe that when Ross asked about upgrading the Line, Adam Gase went ham on him and had to be pulled away by team executives? And do you believe that Gase kept his job after that?

Because that seems stunningly unlikely to me. That reeks of a story concocted to sell to fans after dumping the coach in order to try to restore some confidence in the owner.

Do you really believe that when Ross asked about upgrading the Line, Adam Gase went ham on him and had to be pulled away by team executives? And do you believe that Gase kept his job after that?

Because that seems stunningly unlikely to me. That reeks of a story concocted to sell to fans after dumping the coach in order to try to restore some confidence in the owner.

I dont believe that part of the story no. As I think if Gase did that Ross would have punished him in some way. But I do believe that Gase may have disagreed that guards were needed based on his system. He loved Jack Conklin his first draft but as a tackle

Both he and Ross understood and agreed that if Gase remained, he would continue to try to win. Now.

That’s how it is for a fourth-year coach. You must win or you’re fired because fans aren’t going to be patient.

Gase had already planned to fire defensive coordinator Matt Burke and had a plan for replacing him. He also had decided that he would move on from quarterback Ryan Tannehill and sign a bridge quarterback and probably draft a rookie for the future — assuming he could identify the right draft pick.

And that’s a solid plan for a team trying to win.

But the Dolphins are going in an opposite direction now because that’s what Ross has been convinced is best.

So Gase no longer made sense for the Dolphins. And the Dolphins no longer made sense for Gase.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-salguero/article223850050.html#storylink=cpy

win now? Gase does not equal win now. if he did we would have much more than 7 wins.

Nah...I fully believe it happened or something close to it happened. Gase already showed in he dealings with Ajayi, Landry, Pouncey, Suh etc. that he could not handle people so it's no surprise he was flawed & bitchy in dealing with Ross and reacted like a whiny little kid (but couldn't get rid of Ross like he did the others...I'm sure he wished he could) - it fits. From his demeanor on the field, in press conferences, hat always partially covering his eyes, etc. it is evident that there's something wrong with the guy...he's seems very insecure, introverted with a inferiority complex, trying to make up for same by acting superior & not tolerating criticism or alternate opinions - all signs of a deeper emotional issues and major character flaws. In any case, what you DEFINITELY don't want in a leader or head coach.

If a story is being manufactured to prop up & excuse Ross to make people sympathize with him then why wasn't that done after Philbin, Sparano, Campbell??

Last edited:
Nah...I fully believe it happened or something close to it happened. Gase already showed in he dealings with Ajayi, Landry, Pouncey, Suh etc. that he could not handle people so it's no surprise he was flawed & bitchy in dealing with Ross and reacted like a whiny little kid (but couldn't get rid of Ross like he did the others...I'm sure he wished he could) - it fits. From his demeanor on the field, in press conferences, hat always partially covering his eyes, etc. it is evident that there's something wrong with the guy...he's seems very insecure, introverted with a inferiority complex, trying to make up for same by acting superior & not tolerating criticism or alternate opinions - all signs of a deeper emotional issues and major character flaws. In any case, what you DEFINITELY don't want in a leader or head coach.

If a story is being manufactured to prop up & excuse Ross to make people sympathize with him then why wasn't that done after Philbin, Sparano, Campbell??

I too believe something happened, but Gase shouting seems extreme. I could 100% buy Gase saying something to Ross in front of multiple people in an angry tone and everyone else thinking, "Holy **** I would be SO fired if I did that". Fits in with Gase's zero tolerance policy for people meddling/questioning his vision.

As for an inferiority complex, I do think that being a head coach comes with a LOT of people constantly questioning you both inside and outside of an organization, so Gase could have been taking the "act like the toughest guy in prison to get people to leave you alone" method. He certainly had the ammo to cruise with it after his improbable first season playoff push.

I was really happy when we got Gase initially, but it seems like the team did the right thing to jettison him this offseason for reasons beyond what we all saw. Hindsight is 20/20, but man it really makes you wonder if Ajayi and Landry weren't as bad as they were portrayed.

Agreed. His actions show a person capable of that behavior. He seemed to believe in all the hype about himself. Probably read too many articles and quotes from Peyton Manning and Mike Martz. Glad to hear the new search is looking for someone with more maturity. He turned out to be another arrogant, Josh McDaniels type, IMO.

It... was done after Philbin. The team came out with multiple pieces slamming Joe Philbin for weird behavior and social dysfunction after Philbin was fired.

Back
Top Bottom