Gase Was Going To Fire Burke & Move On From Tannehill But Ross Didn't Want To Win? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase Was Going To Fire Burke & Move On From Tannehill But Ross Didn't Want To Win?

I mentioned at a couple points that my one misgiving with Gase is that what he was doing was eerily similar to what Chip Kelly did with the Eagles - basically insist that everything had to go his way, got rid of players he didn't like, and refused to learn from his mistakes. I didn't think Gase was enough of a stubborn A-hole to go down in flames like Kelly did.

I was wrong. That's exactly what he did.

Yeah, I really feel like he could have salvaged his job at any point if he had simply stopped shooting himself in the foot. Even up to the very end, I think he could have survived that blowout loss to Buffalo if the whole situation hadn't just been totally fractured to the point of breaking apart into a billion pieces.

FWIW, I'm not sure I believe the stories about him outright insulting Steve Ross. I can't believe he lasted as long as he did if that's the case.

Yeah, I really feel like he could have salvaged his job at any point if he had simply stopped shooting himself in the foot. Even up to the very end, I think he could have survived that blowout loss to Buffalo if the whole situation hadn't just been totally fractured to the point of breaking apart into a billion pieces.

FWIW, I'm not sure I believe the stories about him outright insulting Steve Ross. I can't believe he lasted as long as he did if that's the case.

Yep, while i dont believe it was intential, Gase had to really work hard to get fired when he did.

That plan was a year late and he had the best stop gap qb on his roster. That would have meant another year of RT with no checkbook to upgrade anything. GOOD RIDDANCE!!

If he wanted to keep his job maybe he shouldn’t have acted like a petulant child when things weren’t going well and the owner wanted to talk. Maybe the boy genius should spend less time drawing up bubble screens and more time learning what it means to be a head coach.

Maybe a different hat while we're at it? One that has a proper brim instead of the ones he wears, avoiding eye contact. Really strange.

If i were coach, I would never even promoted burke to DC. Its my job on the line. I would have went after schwartz. He was available after Joseph left. He deserves to be fired just for that promotion. I would have fired him and every coach the day after Burke was promoted. tells me Gase doesnt care about winning or is just stupid to think any joe schmo can run a defense in the NFL.
I believe the only reason they were able to recruit Burke from his previous team was that Vance Joseph had the OK from Adam Gase to promise Burke the DC position when Vance Joseph got a head coaching opportunity. It was a done deal way before VJ moved to Denver. It's difficult building a staff. Good coaches already have jobs, and if you're not offering them a promotion, why would they leave? This was Gase's way of promising a promotion in the future, so when the time came, he had a guy who had been groomed for the job … he just wasn't very good at it.

I don’t understand this narrative about Gase wanted to win now. The best course for the organization is to clear out and rebuild. Ross hinted at it when he said 3-13, 2-3 years.
So why does Gase get essentially a pass- he’s fired- and he’s paid and gets to look for another job. There’s something about it that stinks. Yeah hey gase it’s a rebuild partially bc you picked the WRONG QB.
But Gase you want to win now? HOW?
There’s only 1 way to do it right bud.
Ross wants to blow it up and start over, and he wanted Gase to sit tight while he blew it up, and then probably fire him next year and bring in a new coach to reap the rewards of the suckitude. Gase sees himself as the next great NFL head coach, so he isn't going to wait around and be complicit to intentionally losing games just to better the franchise, when he realizes that he may very well not be given the chance to reap those rewards. Can't blame him.

Honestly, I'm glad Ross understands that the good QB class is 2020, not 2019, and is sucking now to get into position to get that next great QB. Finally, someone explained it to him!

Maybe.

I think it was probably people like Marino getting in Ross's ear and saying "look, we've been average forever, and we will continue to be average unless we throw it all away and start from scratch." Ross new Gase would never agree to the whole firesale approach, either due to pride or fear of reputation. So, Ross decided, for the good of the franchise, to let Gase go and begin the process of tearing it down.

That's just my hunch anyways.

I'm certain many dissed Gase to Ross. A lot of that was due to a bad OC

Which games are winning without Burke?

Our last 3 games - offensive scoring

That's 27 points of offense in 3 games. Our defense scored 14 in the last 3 games. I'm not sure how you make the playoffs in the final stretch with that output, no matter who was in charge of the defense.

final games to make playoffs...need to win...abysmal offensive output? how come i feel as though last year wasn't my first time seeing that movie?

Gase succeeding elsewhere as a HC is definitely NOT a given.

IMO the best possible direction for "that" to happen is he lands as an OC and 4-5 years

and down the road evolves a LOT -- reformulating is theory of being a HC.

Then he'd have a shot.

Maybe.

But he's way more hype than substance in current vintage.

if he ends up landing a job in Cleveland i am pretty confident he'll find success there...but again, that equates to a 60-70% chance...this is a tough league to win in

Gase can’t coach his way out of a paper bag. Armando Salguero and Jeff Darlington basically serve as Gase’s agents so remember that a lot of what they write and say is backed by an agenda.

Much agreed!

This article was very insightful. I can’t say I’m surprised about Ross wanting to talk to Gase and Gase ignoring it to his own detriment. For years now we have been calling Gase a stubborn know it all who thinks himself a guru, and Ross a meddler who doesn’t really know what he is doing. THAT is an explosive combination.

You read between the lines...Grier was in Ross’ ear and may have gotten Gase fired as a result. Power move behind the scenes.

For all of the posters wanting a rebuild but annoyed at the Grier promotion, please realize it sounds like we got a rebuild BECAUSE of Grier. You can’t look at each of those things in a vacuum.

Honestly I have no idea if this will all work out, but the team rebuilding the proper way I personally have been wanting for years. Suck or be great, but don’t be in the no man’s land in the middle.

Still think we’ll regret letting him go, hopefully I’m wrong
I wanted Gase and Tannehill gone bad but the second Ross said rebuild I knew Grier was only worried about his job security and threw everyone under the bus. That is the exact opposite of what he is preaching to Ross. Did this roster need some wholesale changes, yes; do they need to do a complete rebuild no. This is going to be a mess ending up with Greir fired and another rebuild in 3-4 years. Ross is a Baffoon and should not be a sports team owner!

I wanted Gase and Tannehill gone bad but the second Ross said rebuild I knew Grier was only worried about his job security and threw everyone under the bus. That is the exact opposite of what he is preaching to Ross. Did this roster need some wholesale changes, yes; do they need to do a complete rebuild no. This is going to be a mess ending up with Greir fired and another rebuild in 3-4 years. Ross is a Baffoon and should not be a sports team owner!
Yep I agree. Great post.
Grier was throwing everyone under the bus. Remember also when Grier was named gm. He made the statement that the dsyfuction and in fighting in this organization was done. That it stops now. He didn’t keep his word.

Seems like there is definitely infighting and selling people out still. . Which happened with the previous regime and the one before that. This will end in a distaster again . I agree Another rebulild will be coming.
Ross is the main problem with this team. If you don’t see that after watching his pess conference then I don’t know what to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom