GB C Evan Deitrich-Smith & Two Other OL Options | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GB C Evan Deitrich-Smith & Two Other OL Options

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-stage-for-packers-b99186395z1-241027961.html

Sounds like Deitrich-Smith will hit FA, and I would like to bring him aboard. He ranked #8 at C, with Pouncey at #13 overall. He was better on the run and Pouncey in pass protect but good to VG on both. He is a very obvious fit from GB in what Philbin wants to do, and allows us to move Pouncey to LG. I like that combo.

With Collins apparently coming available (from another thread), as well as Asamorah, that would be a HUGE upgrade IF Hickey agrees and can get er done in signing them.

Something else to consider. We all want the younger guys so we can focus on something other than the OL for a few years. However, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and IF we do not, a couple of old guys could hold some interest.

Carolina has a pair of vets on their left side who will be FA's. Jordan Gross is 34 but, was the #3 OT in the NFL, and Wharton is 32 but was the #5 OG in the NFL. I have to consider guys like this over a McKennie by leaps and bounds, and there is very likely more older vets cut in the coming weeks. Just looking at potential options.

We have a lot of options. A lot of cap space. A lot to be excited for next year

We have a lot of options. A lot of cap space. A lot to be excited for next year

Agree but, for THIS year. Funny story in this regard on Super Bowl bets. Every year I place SB bets on the existing champ in saying that they will win this year's SB, and sometimes give odds. MANY are anxious to take my money without realizing that "This Year's SB" has already been played.

I only chose to collect from a couple of obnoxious jerks, and just get a few drinks in thanks from the others, and there were MANY. Something to remember. LOL

Pouncey is a great center, but I dont know how well he will take being moved, unless he agrees to this first hand. He was a better OG than C at UF, and Im sure he will transition just fine in the pros.

The Panthers guys don't fit a ZBS at all unfortunately. Gross will either retire or return to the Panthers. Him and Wharton aren't realistic targets. The first 3 you mentioned are great fits because they would be affordable. Entering a draft with a line of Collins-Pouncey-Dietrich Smith-Asamoah-Draft Pick (Juwan James/Antonio Richardson). That's realistically only gonna cost about $13m annually for the FA's and it solidifies your interior OL. You could even entertain bringing in a RT or another guard.

The Panthers guys don't fit a ZBS at all unfortunately. Gross will either retire or return to the Panthers. Him and Wharton aren't realistic targets. The first 3 you mentioned are great fits because they would be affordable. Entering a draft with a line of Collins-Pouncey-Dietrich Smith-Asamoah-Draft Pick (Juwan James/Antonio Richardson). That's realistically only gonna cost about $13m annually for the FA's and it solidifies your interior OL. You could even entertain bringing in a RT or another guard.

Agreed but, I use the Carolina guys as an example of fallback options with older vets for a year IF need be NOT named Mckenni, and there should be a number of them. We "can" get 4 starters in FA, and that is what I believe will be best for or team. We have been on the same page regarding the OL for some time, just hope Hickey will be with us.

The make up of the entire line can change with the only player we have signed. If Pouncey agrees to a move to Guard I think remaking the O-line becomes a much easier task...well not much easier but easier. Finding a Center and a Guard in the draft or in free agency that fits the ZBS is a simpler process than finding two Guards. Alex Mack, Evan Deitrich-Smith, even Brennan moving to Center where I think he would be a better fit would be good options and cheaper ones (maybe not Mack if he actually gets to FA). Drafting a Center can be done 3rd round or later...no need for a high draft pick. Marcus Martin from USC is projected as a 3rd round pick and is a good fit in the ZBS, Gabe Ikard from Oklahoma is another...projected 6th or 7th round pick.

I like this plan, we already have acceptable depht/developmental players under contract with Garner, Brenner, Thomas, Yeatman (cheap RFA). Add another late rounder to the mix and we have an all new Oline. I just don't know if Pouncey would like to move to G, maybe Dietrich-Smith could play G?

The make up of the entire line can change with the only player we have signed. If Pouncey agrees to a move to Guard I think remaking the O-line becomes a much easier task...well not much easier but easier. Finding a Center and a Guard in the draft or in free agency that fits the ZBS is a simpler process than finding two Guards. Alex Mack, Evan Deitrich-Smith, even Brennan moving to Center where I think he would be a better fit would be good options and cheaper ones (maybe not Mack if he actually gets to FA). Drafting a Center can be done 3rd round or later...no need for a high draft pick. Marcus Martin from USC is projected as a 3rd round pick and is a good fit in the ZBS, Gabe Ikard from Oklahoma is another...projected 6th or 7th round pick.

Pouncey does not have to agree. Last time I looked he was not the GM or HC. "The tail does not wag the dog."

Agreed but, I use the Carolina guys as an example of fallback options with older vets for a year IF need be NOT named Mckenni, and there should be a number of them. We "can" get 4 starters in FA, and that is what I believe will be best for or team. We have been on the same page regarding the OL for some time, just hope Hickey will be with us.

Ya I just think it's important we find scheme fits. Guys who would work are:
OT Ryan Harris: Great fit for a ZBS, but still is a bit of a journeyman and wouldn't be too pricey.
OG Wade Smith: Former Dolphin who is definitely in decline but would bring some veteran leadership and depth.
C Evan Dietrich-Smith: History with Philbin, really put it together this year and could shift Pouncey to guard. More expensive than the others but still not bad.
OG Uche Nwaneri: Likely Jags cut, lots of experience over the years.
OT Mike Otto: Not great but a fit.
C/G: Mike Pollak: Also not great but provides some flexibility.

Right now I'm with you on 4 guys, at least 3.
1. Collins/Monroe
2. Asamoah/Beadles/Saffold
3. Dietrich-Smith/Harris
4. Smith/Nwaneri/Pollak

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I like this plan, we already have acceptable depht/developmental players under contract with Garner, Brenner, Thomas, Yeatman (cheap RFA). Add another late rounder to the mix and we have an all new Oline. I just don't know if Pouncey would like to move to G, maybe Dietrich-Smith could play G?

Honestly players chase money and guards get better pay. I highly doubt Pouncey would have a problem with a move, I'm sure he'd prefer it.

I would still look to the OL in the 2nd round but, not the first, and give the guy a year to develop.

Pouncey does not have to agree. Last time I looked he was not the GM or HC. "The tail does not wag the dog."

Well if he's not onboard he'll just leave next year when he's a free agent. Plus if he doesn't want to play it, what kind of effort do you think you'll get?

Ya I just think it's important we find scheme fits. Guys who would work are:
OT Ryan Harris: Great fit for a ZBS, but still is a bit of a journeyman and wouldn't be too pricey.
OG Wade Smith: Former Dolphin who is definitely in decline but would bring some veteran leadership and depth.
C Evan Dietrich-Smith: History with Philbin, really put it together this year and could shift Pouncey to guard. More expensive than the others but still not bad.
OG Uche Nwaneri: Likely Jags cut, lots of experience over the years.
OT Mike Otto: Not great but a fit.
C/G: Mike Pollak: Also not great but provides some flexibility.

Right now I'm with you on 4 guys, at least 3.
1. Collins/Monroe
2. Asamoah/Beadles/Saffold
3. Dietrich-Smith/Harris
4. Smith/Nwaneri/Pollak

I believe there will be many other vets released in the coming weeks, and some will fall through the cracks and be cheap. Don't know your age but, a guy named Otto who is not a C is just wrong. lol

Well if he's not onboard he'll just leave next year when he's a free agent. Plus if he doesn't want to play it, what kind of effort do you think you'll get?

I believe that Pouncey will give his best in the best interest of the team.

To be honest I'm not sure how much I want to give him a longterm contract in the first place, he's really shown some questionable character. I really can't see him not being onboard, it'll just earn him more money in FA next year and it's a position he played in college.

Back
Top Bottom