Get behind Jesse Davis | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Get behind Jesse Davis

Ja'Wuan James is a good right tackle and I think that we would be stupid to move on from him simply to dump salary.

He is a player who can easily be part of the solution to fixing this ongoing garbage OL, and certainly not part of the problem.

His run blocking has NOT been bad, I do not know what people are watching to say that?

I say we build a line around our tackles Tunsil and James. Tunsil looks average at LT because we stuck him at LG for a year so he kind of has to relearn the position of an NFL Left Tackle. James does a good job at RT and actually excels in pass blocking. We have to move on from Pouncey, just don't see the talent that I used to see. He was always over rated but now with bad hips he's about finished imo. Brendel looked good replacing Pouncey but we only have a small sample of his work on tape. The second half of the Atlanta game showed some very good work by Brendel. If we have an in house replacement for Pouncey that would be nice but we may have to draft a G/C type guy somewhere in day two. I'm kind of excited to see Ted Larsen at LG. He was supposed to be the guy on opening day, let's see what he's got. Maybe Davis surprises tonight and fills in for James easily. Maybe the o-line will have a good night tonight and lead us to victory!

Ja'Wuan James is a good right tackle and I think that we would be stupid to move on from him simply to dump salary.

He is a player who can easily be part of the solution to fixing this ongoing garbage OL, and certainly not part of the problem.

His run blocking has NOT been bad, I do not know what people are watching to say that?
But the problem is his injuries. This will be the 2nd time he'll miss the 2nd half of the year? Look at Pouncey and his injuries. I'm just sick and tired of counting on players that you can't count on to be out there. James is not a bad player thought he's not great either but he's no good if he can't stay healthy and that's been a big problem for our O-line. We need healthy players that you can count on and at this point you just can't count on him. The 5 guys need to be able to practice and play together in order for them to gel.

Ozzy rules!!

OL guys get hurt. As long as it's not a chronic injury or degenerative issue...

But the problem is his injuries. This will be the 2nd time he'll miss the 2nd half of the year? Look at Pouncey and his injuries. I'm just sick and tired of counting on players that you can't count on to be out there. James is not a bad player thought he's not great either but he's no good if he can't stay healthy and that's been a big problem for our O-line. We need healthy players that you can count on and at this point you just can't count on him. The 5 guys need to be able to practice and play together in order for them to gel.

Ozzy rules!!
First off I don't think James is part of the problem and I think he can be part of the solution, just not at $9.3 million. If we can sign him for around $6 million a year I'm all for it.

Second, I've been looking around the league and it seems that O-lineman are getting injured more often now. No one plays with all 5 starters on the o-line for the entire season, a reason why depth is so important on the o-line and another reason the Dolphins front office has failed because our depth is bad. I agree with you and I'm just as frustrated when one of the starters go down, you especially don't want guys who end up on IR every year like Pouncey does. I don't know why there is an increase in injuries along the o-line though...maybe its the fact that they don't hit in training camp due to the CBA and when the season comes they're not ready for it. Maybe it's because DEs are smaller and faster like Von Miller or Mack and the OTs have to kick slide harder putting more strain on their hips, knees and groin areas...I don't know and I'm not sure how to fix it but I do know teams need to prepare for it.

Davis now has an extended audition at RT. I honestly can't be sure about James. There have been comments in the past from the coaching staff about his consistency and willingness to accept coaching that concern me. However, if the coaching staff believe in him, I wouldn't want to go shopping for more linemen.

There will probably be another G/C drafted and another G/C signed in the FA period. I think Davis might be in line to compete at RG next year to replace Bushrod. Even without a starting job, Davis sticks because he's had experience at LT, RT, and LG. That kind of versatility sticks.

That 9.3 is guaranteed if James is still injured at the start of the 2018 season

Juwan James was playing lights out before his injury. Does anyone have his PFF ranking?

Top 5 from what I remember.

Football outsiders had us at 2.79 yards rushing avg when running behind
our right tackle which was 27th in the NFL

But he has been decent in pass protection
just sucks in run blocking

Football outsiders had us at 2.79 yards rushing avg when running behind
our right tackle which was 27th in the NFL

But he has been decent in pass protection
just sucks in run blocking
What about running behind everyone else? How does he compare?

Tunsil is almost the same at 27th at 2.75 yrds avg
Guards and center are together and are 30th in the NFL
So basically James is below average but he's also our best run blocker by comparison to everyone else on the Dolphins o-line. Well...that's encouraging.

So basically James is below average but he's also our best run blocker by comparison to everyone else on the Dolphins o-line. Well...that's encouraging.
That kind of reminds me of a picture a friend of mine showed me once of about 12 girls......we looked real hard and at last said, "that one there is the best looking one in that picture".......she wasn't all that, the others were just worse. Same with James and our O-line imo. If we had a top Center and two top guards then James would be fine but when he's the best we have, it shows why our offense sucks

Ozzy rules!!

I'm rooting for Davis. We let Ajayi go because of the sins of this putrid OL. IMHO, James simply has not done enough to justify his salary for next year. Jesse Davis may or may not be the answer, but it is clear that Ju'Wuan James is not the answer.

Stated plainly, our scouts need to be replaced. We repeatedly draft OL who suck and bring in FA's who either suck or spend too much time injured.

I'm rooting for Davis and hoping he proves serviceable. We absolutely need 4 new starters along the OL, is Davis a contender for a spot? How about Larsen? Will we get to evaluate Asiata?

Those are the questions I'm looking to answer the rest of this season.

Back
Top Bottom