Get behind Jesse Davis | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Get behind Jesse Davis

Football outsiders had us at 2.79 yards rushing avg when running behind
our right tackle which was 27th in the NFL

But he has been decent in pass protection
just sucks in run blocking

Well wouldn’t you have say having the weekest guard playing next to you. Might have something to do with the low rush behinds number.

Well wouldn’t you have say having the weekest guard playing next to you. Might have something to do with the low rush behinds number.

I think common sense would indeed and I think most people here would also know that
and wouldn't need a map to figure that out

Normally you want your LT's to be more athletic, the RT to be a big tough mauler. James isn't either one. The cap # is too high for 27th in the NFL. The problem is if we let him walk we create yet another hole we have to fill, with limited resources. We have needed guards for a full decade, and may have two guy's that can play there, who might eventually pan out if we can get 1 of them into the lineup to see what we have, and get the other off RT and put him at G. I hope Davis has a good game. He's had some good play's and some not so. I think he needs 'seat time' and I'd like to see Asiata play,you know, too 'see if he bites'. I also wish we hadn't red shirted (IR) Smith.

I think the James situation is exactly like when we gave Pouncy his last contract. We overpaid because we couldn't afford another hole on the line. We have seen some good play to hope for more improvement or hope injuries stop.

But the problem is his injuries. This will be the 2nd time he'll miss the 2nd half of the year? Look at Pouncey and his injuries. I'm just sick and tired of counting on players that you can't count on to be out there. James is not a bad player thought he's not great either but he's no good if he can't stay healthy and that's been a big problem for our O-line. We need healthy players that you can count on and at this point you just can't count on him. The 5 guys need to be able to practice and play together in order for them to gel.

Ozzy rules!!

No offense, but until Pouncey is shipped out for injuries, I don't want any other player's injury history brought up as a reason to cut him. That argument won at the fan level last year for getting rid of Albert so Tunsil could be given his position.

We have a very bad habit of fixing what works and leaving broken pieces alone.

Granted the fans didn't make the decision, but as it were, they wanted Albert gone for being "injury prone". Pouncey is a walking injury but people cling to him because "the lines plays much better when he is calling pass protection". Ok, so go DRAFT A REAL CENTER and let's add some REAL competition to this problem and let's see if it is a lack of competition problem or if he is really "good".

Something tells me if we had a legit drafted C (Rounds 1, 2 or 3) backing up Mr. Glass his play would increase AND he'd stop getting injured. Then when he did get injured next, we'd suddenly have a real comparison for his "value".

Rarely do you have 1 or 2 guys on the OL who are great @ run blocking AND pass blocking. Typically, you can hide a weak pass blocking G. But you can't hide a weak pass blocking T. And you can run away from a weak run blocking T.

James' pass protection has been probably some of the best on our OL this year. And the knock on him previously was he had not performed at his rookie level since. Well, now he has. So, stop making holes we don't need.

Keep James AND Davis. it's bad enough we don't have enough quality starters. So, when we have the chance for depth you want to get rid of a starter?

James will come back on a team friendly deal. Instead of worrying about the fact we picked up his option, let's look at all of this an opportunity to extend him when we have the leverage to get a better deal.

Stop getting rid of the talent we have. Think differently. Problems are opportunities.

Something tells me if we had a legit drafted C (Rounds 1, 2 or 3) backing up Mr. Glass his play would increase AND he'd stop getting injured. Then when he did get injured next, we'd suddenly have a real comparison for his "value".

So how does someone stop from getting injured. You can play when your hurt, as all football players are hurting this time of year. Injured you are not playing and you can’t stop getting a injury.

So how does someone stop from getting injured. You can play when your hurt, as all football players are hurting this time of year. Injured you are not playing and you can’t stop getting a injury.

Playing scared or comfortable, without concern from competition, can make a player more prone to injuries. Competition not only breeds the best results, it helps keep players motivated to play their best.

To quote a great movie: "Are you hurt or are you injured?"

The first is a mental ailment. The latter is a physical one.

Therein lies the difference. If Davis is equal to James, James should be gone. If Brendel is equal to Pouncey, Pouncey should be gone. Those two positions don't improve but that's quite a bit of cap space to upgrade other postions. Now let's see something fro Asiata/Smith and see what's there.

Therein lies the difference. If Davis is equal to James, James should be gone. If Brendel is equal to Pouncey, Pouncey should be gone. Those two positions don't improve but that's quite a bit of cap space to upgrade other postions. Now let's see something fro Asiata/Smith and see what's there.
I don't think Asiata plays this year unless the Dolphins are completely out of the playoffs (in their minds) and want to give him some reps just to see what they have...before they focus on the draft completely. Smith, unfortunately, is injured but I have to believe he's better than Young.

If Davis improves, or even just stays consistent, over these last 7 games then James is gone IMO.

Unfortunately we won’t get a chance to see Smith until next year. But yes i do agree

Back
Top Bottom