Gil Brant compares this crop of Edge Rushers to current NFL players... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gil Brant compares this crop of Edge Rushers to current NFL players...

Think CB and Edge have similar depth, but the CB group is better at the top.

The Edge class is fine. There just aren't any prospects who put it all together. Phillips is the closest, but he has concussion concerns. I feel good about Oweh and Paye, but I don't feel great about them. Generally speaking, the guys who sack the QB a lot in the NFL also do it in college, but there are notable exceptions, and Oweh and Paye have profiles similar to the exceptions.

But, Oweh and Paye are toward the top of the list of guys I wouldn't mind at 18. They're just not on the list of guys I particularly want there.

Agree with LZ that Payton Turner will end up being better than a lot of the higher-ranked players. Similar story for Elerson Smith.
Well said. Part of the issue for me is I think the talent on the offensive line at pick #18 will be better than Oweh and maybe Paye.

Vera-Tucker, Jenkins and maybe a few others seem like better Miami options.

Just my take -- but I think Ross is going to have a say in this draft... He's always lusted for a high-flying
circus act on O with lots of points and scoreboards spinning. Couple that with the noted talent at receiver
(WR / Unicorns) and RB and you have to see us going big in that direction!

Bottom line ------ we are NOT going to solve all our needs in this draft so --- I'm OK with lots of flash and glitter
and give us some exciting action on O! I just don't want us to try to play this **** down the middle and wind up
compromising on BOTH sides of the ball. GO BIG on O and give us a wild show!

:woot:

I mean Grier did land us an additional R3 to max out the D with in '22!

Just my take -- but I think Ross is going to have a say in this draft... He's always lusted for a high-flying
circus act on O with lots of points and scoreboards spinning. Couple that with the noted talent at receiver
(WR / Unicorns) and RB and you have to see us going big in that direction!

Bottom line ------ we are NOT going to solve all our needs in this draft so --- I'm OK with lots of flash and glitter
and give us some exciting action on O! I just don't want us to try to play this **** down the middle and wind up
compromising on BOTH sides of the ball. GO BIG on O and give us a wild show!

:woot:

I mean Grier did land us an additional R3 to max out the D with in '22!
It's very exciting to think of the offensive options. A Smith, Elijah Moore receiver get would be very difficult to guard.

I think one of those top 50 picks needs to be a pass rusher. I don't think Flores will want to wait long there.

I don’t love any of these guys. I’d probably wait til pick 81 and take Ellerson Smith. Give me Zaven Collins at 18.
All of the reports on Smith say the same thing... really struggles vs. the run.

I can't imagine that a guy like Flores would even consider a n edge who can't set the edge.

That sounds like Taco Charlton.

Guy looks like Jason Taylor to me. I think the experts said the same thing about Taylor back then.:ponder:

Guy looks like Jason Taylor to me. I think the experts said the same thing about Taylor back then.:ponder:
Well... I guess we'll see.

But every single report says, "struggles against the run", and "rotational pass rusher".

A player like this in the fifth might make sense, he could kick in when Strowbridge kicks out.

I wouldn't take him until late on the third day, but your mileage may vary.

It's not a perfect comp but what is these days with draftees? Barely any!
Truly. Its all a gamble. One guy can look like Superman and bust out while someone selected in the 6th round is a 6 time Pro-bowl type of player. Just gotta hope we get it right.

Having said that I really like Oweh.

Truly. Its all a gamble. One guy can look like Superman and bust out while someone selected in the 6th round is a 6 time Pro-bowl type of player. Just gotta hope we get it right.
I think Waller and Pitts is as close to a really good Comp as it gets..but God forbid you compare him (Pitts) to CJ (Calvin Johnson; Megatron) and all the Haters come out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oweh played an abbreviated schedule on a really bad team... in a conference that was just destroyed by Covid. The Big 10 never should have played a game.

His physical attributes are off the charts, and he is supposedly a sharp kid and hard worker.

There is a lot to like there.

Oweh played an abbreviated schedule on a really bad team... in a conference that was just destroyed by Covid. The Big 10 never should have played a game.

His physical attributes are off the charts, and he is supposedly a sharp kid and hard worker.

There is a lot to like there.
Speed and athleticism galore to work with! Time will tell how good he ends up being!

I do too, but more at #36 than #18. I doubt he makes it to #36, though.

Back
Top Bottom