Give Fiedler a Chance? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Fiedler a Chance?

Shouright

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE AJ Feeley. But I do think Fiedler should've been given one series in the 2nd half last weekend to regroup and atone for his mistakes. If he blunders on that drive, yank him immediately, but at least give him the chance to make up for his mistakes.

We were only down 7-0 -- it wasn't time to hit the panic button. Part of my thinking is that Fiedler has brought us back in games in which OTHER people's mistakes put us behind -- he should at least be given the chance to make up for his OWN mistakes.

The reason I feel strongly about this is because of the message it sends the team in general. I don't want guys playing on eggshells thinking they'll be yanked after one HALF of mistakes when their coach pushes the panic button.

We need these guys playing aggressively, not on eggshells. And we need them to know they'll be given a chance to right their wrongs. Feeley is the better QB, no doubt, but this is a team, not just a QB.

bottom line...best thing for the team is AJ Feeley at quarterback-should've been the starter all along-it's obvious to me in section 150-DW couldn't see the difference in talent immediately?

Spinelord said:
bottom line...best thing for the team is AJ Feeley at quarterback-should've been the starter all along-it's obvious to me in section 150-DW couldn't see the difference in talent immediately?
100% AGREE :cooldude:

Spinelord said:
I'm with you 100%. But having chosen Fiedler, you still have to have the integrity to follow through on your decision instead of panicking.

Screw Fiedler. He's had more than a chance. He's a backup in this league and nothing more.

FEELEY is the guy who needs to get a "chance". Fiedler is a backup.

Jay's our glorified back-up... i have said it for years, and ill say it again... It's AJ's time to prove his worth. if he fails, well we were wrong about him, but fiedler still should be a back-up no matter how you look at it...

shouright said:
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE AJ Feeley. But I do think Fiedler should've been given one series in the 2nd half last weekend to regroup and atone for his mistakes. If he blunders on that drive, yank him immediately, but at least give him the chance to make up for his mistakes.

We were only down 7-0 -- it wasn't time to hit the panic button. Part of my thinking is that Fiedler has brought us back in games in which OTHER people's mistakes put us behind -- he should at least be given the chance to make up for his OWN mistakes.
It was not that DW panic, it was the deer in the headlights look and the way JF had played the whole first half. He was off with just about all of his throws.

shouright said:
The reason I feel strongly about this is because of the message it sends the team in general. I don't want guys playing on eggshells thinking they'll be yanked after one HALF of mistakes when their coach pushes the panic button..
I do. Lack of accountability is what has cost Miami the past few years. Also its not like JF made just one mistake. 2 picks and a fumble that was luckily recovered by Miami.

Dphins4me said:
It was not that DW panic, it was the deer in the headlights look and the way JF had played the whole first half. He was off with just about all of his throws.
But that's where the saying "regroup at halftime" comes from. You have to give the guy that shot to get himself back together and atone for his mistakes. How would you feel in Fiedler's position? And all I'm asking for is ONE series. If he's still a deer in the headlights, he's outta there.

Dphins4me said:
I do. Lack of accountability is what has cost Miami the past few years. Also its not like JF made just one mistake. 2 picks and a fumble that was luckily recovered by Miami.
I agree with that. But you have to balance accountability with loyalty. What was done to Fiedler was TOO much accountability and not enough loyalty. DW has been guilty in the past of too much loyalty and not enough accountability. His pendulum swung clear to the other side in yanking Fiedler after a half.

I agree that it wasn't fair for either player.He should have kept Fiedler in the game because that was his choice to start and Feeley wasn't put in a good situation.

I don't think Fiedler should start anymore even though he might in the near future because I have feeling Dave will be playing QB musical chair if A.J struggles which IS DUMB!

shouright said:

The reason I feel strongly about this is because of the message it sends the team in general. I don't want guys playing on eggshells thinking they'll be yanked after one HALF of mistakes when their coach pushes the panic button.

We need these guys playing aggressively, not on eggshells. And we need them to know they'll be given a chance to right their wrongs. Feeley is the better QB, no doubt, but this is a team, not just a QB.
What makes everybody think Jay was pulled in a panic??? He had the single worst QB rating I can remember a QB having in the first half... What would make us believe that was going to change after the half ? That being said, Jay should have been left in to finish drowning in the mess he had started.

I do NOT personally like the precedent it sets for the potential of AJ getting pulled in the future IF he struggles in a half, but then, I also felt he should have started the Titans game.

It was good to see AJ get a little experience, but coming in to a LOSING home opener is NOT exactly a great way to start...

Jester365 said:
What makes everybody think Jay was pulled in a panic??? He had the single worst QB rating I can remember a QB having in the first half... What would make us believe that was going to change after the half ? I do NOT personally like the precedent it sets for the potential of AJ getting pulled in the future IF he struggles in a half, but then, I also felt he should have started the Titans game.
Or the precedent for ANYBODY else on the team who's starting. And I think Jay was pulled in a panic because DW has stuck with him longer in the past even with similar mistakes. Sure we may not have had a Feeley on the bench back then, but if you're gonna pull the guy after 2 INTs when we're down only 7-0, you should've started Feeley in the first place.

This is just DW trying to save his job again and destroying team morale in the process. Nobody wants a panicky coach, especially when the motivation is saving his OWN job rather than loyalty to his players. The players have a better QB now, but at what cost? This is similar to the Ricky situation -- his decision might've been a good one, but it's HOW he made his decision that hurt everybody.

Back
Top Bottom