Give the NHL to Canada | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give the NHL to Canada

Dolfan02

Somebody kick Huizenga for me
Reaction score
This weekend, the first-ever outdoor hockey match between NHL's Edmonton Oilers vs. Montreal Canadians will take place in a packed 60,000-seat football stadium in Edmonton. Home of CFL's Edmonton Eskimos.

Now to my point: Give the NHL to the Canadiens as a free gift! This is their favorite sport, Americans don't and will never appreciate hockey. There is no real fan base here in the States. Yeah, some people have jobs because of it or some people might attend some games but NOBODY demands it as a true fan. We should just put the whole thing in Canada and let it live where its wanted. I think we should have the MLS and soccer as the 4th biggest sport because more people like soccer than hockey in the States.

I love hockey..I attend games on a regular basis. Never been or watched a pro soccer game...no desire at all.

"more people like soccer than hockey in the States." -Link please-good luck BTW.....

Seriously...this comment has us rolling here at work. :lolcry:

"Americans don't and will never appreciate hockey"

Do you even live in the US?
:rolleyes2

I have a better idea...lets ship you to Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously though.....there are alot more US teams then Canadian. These teams wouldn't have existed as long as they have without a fan base...How long has professional soccer been in the states? Not even close to how long hockey has been.

JK about my previous post. And by the way, yes I do live in the States - Miami, Florida. Not the best demographic for hockey but I'm very aware of the national demand for hockey and its not much. Like I said, there are casual fans that attend hockey games, but not die-hards. And I think that explains the struggles of the NHL to grow, nonetheless decline in attendance. As for soccer, it was here in the US way before hokcey, look it up in the books. With rule-changing it actually became what we know as "football". Get it 'foot', 'ball'. Ball that you use with your foot. But this is about hockey... and its falling league. What other sport will incorporate fighting as legal? I think its the only way for people to watch hockey. And of course there are more American city teams in the NHL, hence, NATIONAL hockey league, it was started here. But there are hardly any remaining star American hockey players, most of the best players are East European or Canadien. Canadiens fans watch hockey 24 hours a day, its their #1 sport, I think it should be moved over there. Don't worry I'm sure our players won't mind playing over there it being so close.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in an area with 3 hockey teams. I know like 2 people who actually like hockey. The New Jersey Devils, the defending Stanley Cup champions, get no fans to show up to their games. In a few cities in the USA, hockey is popular, but overall no one really cares.

As for soccer, it is the SECOND most sport played by kids in this country. Basketball is the only sport that more kids play. I went to a soccer game in July at Giants Stadium, and 79,000 people showed up. No, you're computer isn't messed up. 79,000 people were there. The MLS doesn't have the greatest attendance, but the LA Galaxy get around 22,000 people a game. Last year's MLS Cup had 61,000 people show up (luckily the game was played at one of the team's home stadiums so that really helped). I bet soccer is getting close to hockey in this country in fanbase. The problem is that not many people know that because a lot of soccer fans here don't like MLS which is a shame. However, a lot of people follow teams abroad and this summer, soccer games sold out Seahawks Stadium, Giants Stadium, and Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia).

I just saw the list of the players for the Florida Panthers hockey team on their website, and get this:

Out of 26 players, only 1 guy is from the USA, and he's from north Minnesota near Canada! All the other players are from Canada, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep., and Russia.

The NHL in America is absurd

There won't be any hockey after this year anyway. They are going to have some huge work stoppage after this year. When it is over about 4 teams will still be in business.

What does it matter? We can have 5 major sports instead of 4 now. At least then Chicago will have a decent team for once, because we all know the Cubs won't get as far as they did for at least another 50 years.

hockey= not even a sport

i love the trades... people get great players from bad teams. what a JOKE.

Boxing is the 4th biggest sport and always has been.

hockey not even a sport? are you kidding?

did you confuse it with figure skating or something...if Ice-skating is not a sport, then what is golf?

The only team I watch is the Avalanche. The NHL needs to contract teams instead of expanding. They need to somehow get the scores higher, & in no way should a game every end in a tie. Also, hockey season is too long. They only have a two month break.

There is nothing wrong with ties. I hate hockey but that is part of its game. Same with soccer. It isn't like they have ties in the championship game.

Back
Top Bottom