Give the NHL to Canada | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give the NHL to Canada

Ties upset me. No game should end in a tie, it just complicates seeding and play-off scenarios in any sport......

Dolphan 02 and Iceblizzard...though both of you have great points...its hard to argue with a couple of soccerheads. Its obvious from your posts that you you guys are all into soccer and hate hockey....thats great...Im happy for you...but don't try and speak for America...because you don't!!!!

Dolphan02 "Like I said, there are casual fans that attend hockey games, but not die-hards"......again....link please!!!!

(and yes I know where the term "football comes from...thanks for the lesson anyways.)

FYI...I am, and know several others that are DIE HARD FANS...thats why we attend as many games as we can...if we're not attending we're watching them on TV.

Iceblizzard:"I live in an area with 3 hockey teams. I know like 2 people who actually like hockey."

-at least you know 2....I know several who love hockey.

The only person I know that likes soccer is someone who actually plays it. Other then that one person who plays it in college there is a huge dropoff. I could give a rats *** on the number of kids playing it....they are because its not nearly as difficult as hockey. I played soccer..whocares! Soccer is fun to play...doesn't mean I want to watch it.

I have no problem with soccer being a pro-sport in America...why do you have such a hatred for hockey that you feel you have to speak for everyone else....I'd love for you to come and tell the Hockey fans in my area that soccer is better and get rid of hockey?!?!?!:lol:

Sorry just sharing my opinion like you both have....I like hockey because its a different kind of sport with a different kind of athlete. I don't hate soccer, I like many others, don't pay attention to it. Doesn't mean I want it out of the US though.

I never said I wanted it out of the USA. However, saying people play soccer because "it isn't as difficult as hockey is quite ignorant." It is very hard to run for 45 straight minutes, have a 15 minute break, and then do it again. I'm not saying one sport is more difficult than the other, but you can't really say hockey is more difficult than soccer.

Sorry Ice, It was 02 who said he wants it out of the US...I didn't just address you.

I've played both. That is not an ignorant comment by all means, thanks for insulting my intelligence btw....my opinion is from experience period. When I said more people play soccer because hockey is more difficult, I knew that would be misinterpreted. I should have said "of course more kids play it in school because its more difficult to organize in schools...with soccer, all you need are 4 cones and a ball:goof:

not an ice rink, goals, skates, sticks, pucks, pads, etc etc.....things alot of schools can't afford....yes IT IS easier to play in school. maybe i need to clarify that. Anyone can go out and kick a ball around and play soccer...not many kids get a chance to strap on skates get sticks and head out on the ice.

Like I said..I've played soccer in school and yes you run...sure..haven't played a sport yet where conditioning wasn't involved. Never said it was easy. I personally think hockey is more difficult because of the physical aspect of the game (monster hits or checks, stick and puck control, skating)

Sure, soccer has ball control, stamina, and some physical contact but puck control, physical hits, and the techniques in hockey are alot different.

I'm only giving my opinion because someone wanted to speak for all America (without a link?) saying more people like soccer in the US...not where I live...not even close. Again...the only person I know that gives a rats a$$ about it is someone who actually plays it...and its natural for soccer players to defend soccer.

I listen to FOX news radio and if you have never heard thier intro...they say we cover NFL, NBA, MLB, and the NHL....they never say a thing about soccer. Let me clarify this before it gets all you soccer players in a hissy...I'm not saying its not a popular/growing sport...but to make a comment that people in the US like soccer more then Hockey is just...well....IGNORANT.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate soccer...my niece has been scouted for a while and just joined the junior womans olympic team. She goes to the championship in Orlando? every year. We're proud and have fun watching her. I'm just not into pro-soccer...yet. At the time, I'm interested in other sports...and one of those is the one I'm defending.

sorry didn't mean to offend anyone.

Originally posted by madcow
Sorry Ice, It was 02 who said he wants it out of the US...I didn't just address you.

I've played both. That is not an ignorant comment by all means, thanks for insulting my intelligence btw....my opinion is from experience period. When I said more people play soccer because hockey is more difficult, I knew that would be misinterpreted. I should have said "of course more kids play it in school because its more difficult to organize in schools...with soccer, all you need are 4 cones and a ball:goof:

not an ice rink, goals, skates, sticks, pucks, pads, etc etc.....things alot of schools can't afford....yes IT IS easier to play in school. maybe i need to clarify that. Anyone can go out and kick a ball around and play soccer...not many kids get a chance to strap on skates get sticks and head out on the ice.

Like I said..I've played soccer in school and yes you run...sure..haven't played a sport yet where conditioning wasn't involved. Never said it was easy. I personally think hockey is more difficult because of the physical aspect of the game (monster hits or checks, stick and puck control, skating)

Sure, soccer has ball control, stamina, and some physical contact but puck control, physical hits, and the techniques in hockey are alot different.

I'm only giving my opinion because someone wanted to speak for all America (without a link?) saying more people like soccer in the US...not where I live...not even close. Again...the only person I know that gives a rats a$$ about it is someone who actually plays it...and its natural for soccer players to defend soccer.

I listen to FOX news radio and if you have never heard thier intro...they say we cover NFL, NBA, MLB, and the NHL....they never say a thing about soccer. Let me clarify this before it gets all you soccer players in a hissy...I'm not saying its not a popular/growing sport...but to make a comment that people in the US like soccer more then Hockey is just...well....IGNORANT.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate soccer...my niece has been scouted for a while and just joined the junior womans olympic team. She goes to the championship in Orlando? every year. We're proud and have fun watching her. I'm just not into pro-soccer...yet. At the time, I'm interested in other sports...and one of those is the one I'm defending.

Sorry but some of your comments are quite ridiculous.
I personally think hockey is more difficult because of the physical aspect of the game (monster hits or checks, stick and puck control, skating).

The key right there is you played soccer in elementary school with "4 cones and a ball". So of course you're not going to get a REAL feel for the real game. When I was younger I played roller hockey alot here in Miami (no ice here, and with 4 cones) and I played ice hockey twice in Colorado. But I don't consider those experiences to be an appropriate opinion to compare it to the collegiate or professional levels. If you played organized soccer with men, not women or watching women play, you would experience the physical brutality of the sport. Guys sliding like monsters into your shins knocking you off your feet, the pushes, elbows, and battles for the ball, and BTW its massive running, not skating. Soccer players don't substitute every 5 minutes, no timeouts, one short halftime, no padding except for the shinguards. Consider it as running a marathon of sprints non-stop for 90 minutes while people are kicking you and pushing you. Some of the biggest team sports I admire, but not my favorites, are soccer and rugby.. and why? Because the same guys play the offense and defense, they play the whole game with no timeouts, and its physical and skillful.

I my intent was not to bash any sport and if it sounded like that, then I apologize. As a matter of fact, what I like about hockey is that it is played on a unique surface, I believe its the best team sport on ice. But what I did want to get across was that the league itself, the NHL, should be headquartered and administered in Canada. Look at my previous posts, I never questioned the toughness of hockey, read the title of the thread "Give the NHL to Canada"... its not "Get rid of hockey". What would be wrong of running the league from Canada, Toronto? Or calling ti the CHL? I don't think it would be much of a problem.

Originally posted by madcow

I agree with you that you don't need that much to play soccer. One of the reasons why it is so big around the world is that all you really need is a ball, so kids in other countries play on the street.

I have played street hockey, and I assume ice hockey is very difficult to play, I will not say it is harder or easier than soccer. Both require strengths and aspects of each game are difficult. I have never played ice hockey so I can't give a firsthand opinion.

Soccer receives no attention from the media, but there are lots of fans. Soccer games in the USA this summer sold out Seahawks Stadium (Seattle), Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia), and Giants Stadium. I was at the game at Giants Stadium, and 79000 people were there. Soccer has a strong fanbase in this country, but many don't notice for many reasons. First of all, many people prefer the European Leagues and don't like the league here (MLS). Pretty much every Mexican in this country loves soccer and this country has a whole lot of Mexicans now a days. Soccer has fans, but poor support for the home league makes it look like there are less fans than there really are. However, attendance in MLS improves every year and for the first time ever one of the clubs (LA Galaxy) made a profit. They had an average attendance of 22,000.

I really don't think it is ignorant to say there are more soccer fans than hockey fans. I highly doubt a hockey game could ever get an attendance of 79,000 in the USA (if they had a stadium that big to have a game which wouldn't happen anyway, hockey arenas never have more than 20000 seats). Support for NHL teams in many cities is poor. In some cities, such as Detroit, it is very strong. I would say that there are some cities where soccer is more popular, and some where hockey is more popular.

BTW, what city do you live in? I'm just wondering.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

Sorry but some of your comments are quite ridiculous.

The key right there is you played soccer in elementary school with "4 cones and a ball". So of course you're not going to get a REAL feel for the real game. When I was younger I played roller hockey alot here in Miami (no ice here, and with 4 cones) and I played ice hockey twice in Colorado. But I don't consider those experiences to be an appropriate opinion to compare it to the collegiate or professional levels. If you played organized soccer with men, not women or watching women play, you would experience the physical brutality of the sport. Guys sliding like monsters into your shins knocking you off your feet, the pushes, elbows, and battles for the ball, and BTW its massive running, not skating. Soccer players don't substitute every 5 minutes, no timeouts, one short halftime, no padding except for the shinguards. Consider it as running a marathon of sprints non-stop for 90 minutes while people are kicking you and pushing you. Some of the biggest team sports I admire, but not my favorites, are soccer and rugby.. and why? Because the same guys play the offense and defense, they play the whole game with no timeouts, and its physical and skillful.

I my intent was not to bash any sport and if it sounded like that, then I apologize. As a matter of fact, what I like about hockey is that it is played on a unique surface, I believe its the best team sport on ice. But what I did want to get across was that the league itself, the NHL, should be headquartered and administered in Canada. Look at my previous posts, I never questioned the toughness of hockey, read the title of the thread "Give the NHL to Canada"... its not "Get rid of hockey". What would be wrong of running the league from Canada, Toronto? Or calling ti the CHL? I don't think it would be much of a problem.

Well, it is actually two 45 minute marathons. ;) Soccer involves a lot of sprinting though and there is a lot of physical contact.

Okay. Let me speak as a person that lives in an area with only 2 MAJOR pro sports teams. We have an MLS team and an NHL team. When the Crew came to town, Columbus experienced a soccer boom, I was part of that movement. EVERYONE my age played soccer, and cheered for Brian McBride and the Crew. However, soccer was grown out of extremely fast. Now, the Crew has one of, if not the only, soccer - only stadiums in America, and has trouble filling it. Fans here just lost interest EXTREMELY quickly. However, the Blue Jackets came to town and are in their 4th year now. Now, the hockey boom wasn't QUITE as significant, but... it was significant. All the suburbanites are playing hockey. The Blue Jackets have their own radio shows on both of the major Talk Radio stations in the area as well as a contract with Fox Sports Net to air all the games, and a radio deal as well with an FM station. Now, I'm not hatin' on soccer or anything, but it's pretty obvious to me that in a town where those are the only 2 real "pro" choices, soccer is being destroyed by hockey. Thats just my observation guys... I'm not saying either sport is better... I'll watch either one, if there's no football, baseball, or basketball on... So, watch calling hockey a canadian only sport... or, just ask someone from Detroit what the biggest sport there is. Or, colorado. Heck, even St. Louis would put hockey up on their list... Just be careful how you word things.

Originally posted by MarinoFan4Life
Okay. Let me speak as a person that lives in an area with only 2 MAJOR pro sports teams. We have an MLS team and an NHL team. When the Crew came to town, Columbus experienced a soccer boom, I was part of that movement. EVERYONE my age played soccer, and cheered for Brian McBride and the Crew. However, soccer was grown out of extremely fast. Now, the Crew has one of, if not the only, soccer - only stadiums in America, and has trouble filling it. Fans here just lost interest EXTREMELY quickly. However, the Blue Jackets came to town and are in their 4th year now. Now, the hockey boom wasn't QUITE as significant, but... it was significant. All the suburbanites are playing hockey. The Blue Jackets have their own radio shows on both of the major Talk Radio stations in the area as well as a contract with Fox Sports Net to air all the games, and a radio deal as well with an FM station. Now, I'm not hatin' on soccer or anything, but it's pretty obvious to me that in a town where those are the only 2 real "pro" choices, soccer is being destroyed by hockey. Thats just my observation guys... I'm not saying either sport is better... I'll watch either one, if there's no football, baseball, or basketball on... So, watch calling hockey a canadian only sport... or, just ask someone from Detroit what the biggest sport there is. Or, colorado. Heck, even St. Louis would put hockey up on their list... Just be careful how you word things.

Whats up Marino... well your post actually makes me smile in a funny way and I'll tell you why. Your story of your city's 2 pro teams is the same exact thing that happened in Miami when the Marlins and Florida Panthers came to town in 1993 and 1994. I'm not kidding, the whole town here was painted in teal those first years of the Marlins. And on the streets.. kids were playing roller hockey everywhere, roller hockey leagues were popping up everywhere. Thats when the Panthers were playing in the Miami Arena. Then a few years later... not a peep!! The Dolphins, Hurricanes, and Heat had amazing teams so everyone laid eyes on them. It was like the Panthers and Marlins didn't even exist anymore, so I guess thats why the Panthers moved to Sunrise, FL. to get some fan support. The Marlins was a weird story in itself, they won (paid for) the WorldSeries in '97 out of nowhere, team sold the next day, star players sold, and the years after that were dreadful up until now.

My point is: that Columbus could be going through the same thing that almost all cities have gone through. A new professional team arrives and everyone in town goes in a frenzy, playing that sport, then it dies out in a few years. So it being, I bet if you reversed history and Columbus Blue Jackets were the 1st team and then a few laters (recently) the Crew arrive, I bet more people would be talking about that newer team, the Crew. ALSO, and very important, is that MLS does not have the status of the NHL yet. The American media doesn't even consider it a 'major' sport yet. So of course the NHL in your town will have the benefit of the doubt over the MLS.

BTW, the Crew is my favorite MLS team, I wish I could go to just one game, I honestly would buy season tickets if I lived there... don't shy away, give them support!! :)

Well... it wouldn't be hard to get tickets man... feel free to come on up, I'd give you a place to crash. LoL.

I don't think you're right about the order of them coming in to town. The Jackets would still reign supreme.

Originally posted by t_scrible
I love the Boston Bruins

I even have my own Bruins website
http://www.bruinscage.com

I have many more years to cheer for the B's as I am only 12.

You're only 12 and thats you're own website? Or someone else's website you mean, like the bruins themself.

Originally posted by t_scrible
I also love the Revolution (MLS)

Is there a revolution website as well? Robert Kraft, the owner of the pats also owns the revolution, I'm sure they're going to be real big in a few years, I like their team.

Back
Top Bottom