Giving Jay a few “Birds". | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Giving Jay a few “Birds".

Re: I JUST HAVE 2 PROBLEMS WITH FIEDLER

Originally posted by RICKHURD
I WAS HONESTLY ONE WHO WANTED GRIESE IN THERE THIS YEAR. HOWEVER, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT FIEDLER IS A BETTER FIT FOR THIS PARTICULAR TEAM. BUT I HAVE 2 PROBLEMS WITH JAY;

1) PEOPLE KEEP TALKING ABOUT HIS LEADERSHIP. HE IS THE MOST EMOTIONLESS QB IN THE LEAGUE. THE 'SKINS GAME WAS THE MOST PUMPED UP THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM.
*AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT NOTICES THAT HE ONLY SEEMS TO PLAY WITH ANY HEART WHEN HE COMES BACK FROM INJURY OR HIS JOB IS IN DANGER? HE SHOULD ASK MARINO TO BORROW SOME OF HIS HEART!

Different types of leaders. Bret Favre is a cheerleader type of leader. Jay is more "the cool customer". Jay's leadership is more like a business man's attitude. He demands respect in the huddle and commands the team. He is more the field general type. Brett Favre is the crazed leader who leds his emotions lead the team. Not to compare Jay and Brett but those two have just the so extreme different leadership styles that I had to use that example.
Lucas had the emotions of a Brett Favre but did not have the "smarts" or intangibles of a Brett Favre. He was more "childish" emotional (crying, throwing helmet etc).
Brian can not overcome adversity and he crumbles under pressure. No matter what style of leader you are (and there are many different styles) the first thing you have to do is deal with adversity. Overcamoe bad plays and move on...without that there is no leadership.

2) IF JAY IS SUCH A GREAT MANAGER OF THE GAME AND A GUY THAT IS IN THERE NOT TO LOSE GAMES, THEN WHY HAS HE THROWN MORE INT's THAN TD's THIS YEAR?

That's the easiest answer. Most of his INTs came
a) under heavy pressure and
b) trying to make a play downfield.

Just look at the NE game. 2 INTs. One was a wobbled ball by Thompson and the other was the downfield throw after flushed out of the pocket and being chased bu a defender trying to make a play 40 yards downfield. You get those plays with Jay. Of course at that point it was all Jay. But even the staunchest Brian supporters now realized that it is the OL, WRs and somewhat playcalling.

ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT HIS RECORD REFLECTS THE TEAM, NOT THE QB. HE HAS TO LEAD THIS TEAM DEEP INTO THE PLAYOFFS TO EARN RESPECT. EVEN DURING HIS "GREAT" 11 - 5 SEASONS, HE DIDN'T DO THAT.

You are correct but a team record also indicates how a team responds with certain QBs under center. Time of possesion is a major indicator for success. With Brian we had no drive of 50 yards or more in the last 3 games. With Jay we had the first 2 drives in the 4th quarter over 50 yards. TOP rests your D, thus making them more effective and it keeps the ball away from opposing offenses. Considering an average starting position on your own 20 yard line any 50 yard drive puts you already into FG position. While a win/loss record is a team stat it is also an indicator of a QBs ability to move an offense.

Originally posted by RICKHURD
I appreciate your thourough, respectable answers.

I just need Jay to show me a little more.

No doubt.....This is his year just as well not just the Dolphins.

If we fail as a team this year..cleaning house will be on the agenda.

If Jay wants to play anywhere next year (Dolphins or any or team) he too has to perform exceptional over the next few games.

We have now entered the "no more excuses" and "no more failures" time of year.

Back
Top Bottom