Gmac hits late 3 to top UCONN in bigeast tourny | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gmac hits late 3 to top UCONN in bigeast tourny

Buddwalk

The Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/boxscores/2006/03/09/37464_boxscore.html

Overtime mcnamerra had one shot with 11 seconds to go and threw up a beautiful shot to knock UCONN out of the big east tourny. Looks like Syracuse is now a lock for march madness with this win.

Notable Stats

Gerry McNamera 17 points 13 assists 5 rebounds
Eric Devendorf 13 points 2 rebounds 1 assist

Marcus Williams 17 points 11 assists 2 rebounds
Hilton Armstrong 14 points 10 rebounds 1 assist

Is he clutch or what? Play like crap all season, and in the two games where your team needs you the most, step it up. Noone is going to want to see them in the tourney now.

Ferretsquig said:
Is he clutch or what? Play like crap all season, and in the two games where your team needs you the most, step it up. Noone is going to want to see them in the tourney now.

damn right

Im a uconn fan but i love watching this kid. Actually grew up in wilks barre pa, I met him a couple times actually too. Very Awesome Guy with a killer 3

If he can get his team playing good in march madness and somehow get to the sweet 16...thats all he'll need and he might sneak into the first round of the nba draft. Hes just got heart thats uncomparable

I dont care if they dont win another game, the last 2 press conferences by the Cuse coach were enough for me :lol: that was awesome!

Buddwalk said:
Looks like Syracuse is now a lock for march madness with this win.

Huge win for 'Cuse and it might push them into the Tourney... but calling them a lock is a bit strong. Their resume was pathetic coming into the BET, but with 2 quality wins in New York it's going to be a tossup between Syracuse, Seton Hall and Cincinnati as far as bubble teams from the Big East.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Huge win for 'Cuse and it might push them into the Tourney... but calling them a lock is a bit strong. Their resume was pathetic coming into the BET, but with 2 quality wins in New York it's going to be a tossup between Syracuse, Seton Hall and Cincinnati as far as bubble teams from the Big East.

there record stands at 20-11...2 quality wins like you said

There a lock now man...si.com reported it

Buddwalk said:
there record stands at 20-11...2 quality wins like you said

There a lock now man...si.com reported it

Who cares what SI said? Are they giving out the invitations to the dance? 2 quality wins looks nice right now, but how many of those did they have before the BET?

EDIT: (FYI, why don't you check the latest bracketology on ESPN. The Big East is getting 8 teams in that, but Syracuse isn't one of them. They are still listed as one of the last 4 teams out with today's win included, hardly what I would call a "lock")

The only team I remember them beating this year was West Virginia at home. Not to mention that horrific finish that included a 40 point blowout loss to DePaul. They might very well get in as a result of their performance in New York, but I refuse to believe they are a "lock" at this point.

after the game jay bilas said that he would put syracuse in and take out mississippi state or mississippi valley i forget which one it was

Finfan86 said:
after the game jay bilas said that he would put syracuse in and take out mississippi state or mississippi valley i forget which one it was

Oh really? It's all subjective, everyone has a different opinion. I'm just disagreeing with the fact that Syracuse is a lock. Let's face it, the media was generous calling the Orange a bubble team heading into the BET. They had a grand total of 2 quality wins (by quality I'm referring to wins against the top 50 RPI), and only one of which was on the road. They had no prominent out of conference wins and they were playing pathetic basketball down the stretch of the regular season.

The only way Syracuse ever becomes a lock is if they win the BET. Outside of that, their resume was just too weak heading into New York to become a lock. They could very well get in after two quality wins, but it also could be too little too late.

Syracuse makes it in after this win. RPI was 39 prior to the UConn win. Top 30 RPI + big time tourney wins = automatic bid.

Ferretsquig said:
Syracuse makes it in after this win. RPI was 39 prior to the UConn win. Top 30 RPI + big time tourney wins = automatic bid.

If an individual goes strictly by RPI then the MVC would be considered the best conference in college basketball. Now any normal fan would consider that thought to be simply asinine, but check the RPI's of those top teams in that conference.

Quality wins outweight RPI's, and by my count, Syracuse has 4 (UConn, Cincy 2x, West Virginia) Is it enough to get in? Who knows. I don't think the Big East is getting 9 teams so who do you leave out? Seton Hall has beaten both Syracuse and Cincinnati in their only matchups. Can you leave them out when their resume includes several huge wins (@ NCST, @ Pitt, @ Syracuse, West Virginia, Cincy)? Or is Cincinnati the odd team out?

I don't know, but I do know that NONE of those teams are locks. I also know that it's going to be interesting on Selection Sunday.

Quality wins mean something but whats more important is when those wins occured. RPI is also very important for selection....and since the MVC manipulated the system well they will get more bids than they probably deserve. FSU and Maryland fans may not like it, but they knew the system and chose to schedule the way they did. I doubt a team in the top 30 has ever been left out of the tourney.

FaninPatsyLand said:

:sidelol: :sidelol: They have played the #1/#2 teams 5 times this year. Might be 6 if they play Nova again. That is unreal and almost unfair. THEY JUST BEAT THE #1 team in the country on a neutral court.

They beat Cincy 2 out of 3 times. And Seton Hall has been awful and just lost to Rutgers again! Not to mention that loss to Richmond!

Syracuse is a lock. They will be a 7, 8, or 9 seed. IF they find a way to actually win this tourney who knows where they will be.

Their resume is very strong. Beat Cincy 2 out of 3 times. Beat Uconn. Beat WV. RPI in the 20's. And a SOS in the Top 10. And playing well when it matters down the stretch. They are in.

Back
Top Bottom