Good Article From Dave Hyde Making The Big Picture Points | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Article From Dave Hyde Making The Big Picture Points

Grier has to go he cannot draft. He gets lucky sometimes at the end end of the draft but that’s not going to make the Dolphins contenders.
Am in agreement with you on this point 100%. Get that Ross will have to hit on this hire but at this point, there has to be an attempt for the organization tostep off the mediocre treadmill. Final point, many have stated (including myself) that what we've witnessed Tua's ceiling to be limited. Would include Grier to that assessment.

Who would you rather own the Dolphins?
Ross.
Jerry Jones.

I'll choose Ross.
How about any one of the other 30 owners or any number of other billionaires that would love to be part of the NFL owners club?

There aren't just two possibilities. Comparing Ross to another bad owner (who, lest we forget, won multiple Super Bowls) doesn't make Ross good. It only makes him OK by comparison.

It's like saying the Dolphins going 11-6 this year is better than going 11-5 under Dave Wannstedt or 10-6 under Brian Flores or Adam Gase. That's very, very faint praise if it's any praise at all, and it doesn't do the organization any good this week.

Dolphins' offense and its limitations have been figured out.

In the last 3 game against Ravens, Buffalo, and KC, "Twenty-seven possessions, five touchdowns, five turnovers and a 13.3-point per game average. Six total points in the three second halves. That’s the Greatest Show in Quicksand." Ouch.
One more thing regarding this. It's not a coincidence that it's consistently the second half where the Dolphins' offense shits the bed.

This is a clear sign that it's McDaniel not making the proper adjustments to the Defensive adjustments after halftime. It's far more likely that this is the case rather than Tua becoming a different QB talent-wise in the second half vs. better teams.

Who would you rather own the Dolphins?
Ross.
Jerry Jones.

I'll choose Ross.

Don't be ridiculous. You should obviously prefer to have Jerry Jones in charge. Jones has a couple of championships in his trophy case and is at least willing to fire guys when it's not working. Jerry Jones wouldn't have let Chris Grier hang around for 23 years.

I defended Ross when he took over the team, because it seemed like he really wanted to win and was willing to spend money to do it. Those are both good attributes to have in an owner. Unfortunately, we can now say pretty conclusively that he's also stunningly arrogant and stubborn moron who couldn't identify managerial talent if you time-warped him back to 1967 and got him a job at NASA.

I look at it this way...it starts at the top. #1 problem is Ross, #2 is Grier. Grier had a crazy amount of cap/picks to do this rebuild, and fumbled it. Will Ross see this? Will Marino tell him? Will he listen?

Of course not...he's a football idiot...great businessman, not good at NFL things.

Really hate feeling like we need to start over, but it just seems that way. Unless Ross goes away and somebody who can be a competitive, excellence-focused leader with high expectations takes over, how many of these will we go through?
Does anyone really believe Ross makes these decisions in a vacuum? Like Chris Grier comes to him and says “Stephen, my man, I think we need to hire Doug Pederson.” And Ross responds by saying “no, Chris, I want an inexperienced pretend coordinator who will need to learn every single detail about being a head coach while on the job.”

Now, is Ross ultimately responsible for taking the advice of people like Grier and keeping him around? Yes. But I just don’t see Ross as the biggest problem with this franchise. I firmly believe Ross is getting advice from people he trusts that tell him Grier and the front office structure he’s put together is working. And there are shoots of green that make it seem that way - some good trades, some decent FA pickups, some very good recent draft picks, etc.

Does anyone really believe Ross makes these decisions in a vacuum? Like Chris Grier comes to him and says “Stephen, my man, I think we need to hire Doug Pederson.” And Ross responds by saying “no, Chris, I want an inexperienced pretend coordinator who will need to learn every single detail about being a head coach while on the job.”

Now, is Ross ultimately responsible for taking the advice of people like Grier and keeping him around? Yes. But I just don’t see Ross as the biggest problem with this franchise. I firmly believe Ross is getting advice from people he trusts that tell him Grier and the front office structure he’s put together is working. And there are shoots of green that make it seem that way - some good trades, some decent FA pickups, some very good recent draft picks, etc.
It's standard, basic, universal chain-of-command. It starts at the top. If he can't handle it, he should bounce (figure those odds). He obviously can't.

Those are PRECISELY the kind of decisions he should be more informed on...he doesn't have strong NFL knowledge. I'm sure he listens to Grier, and that's part of the problem. Grier's been in the organization FAR too long, through all the **** years...he had his clean-slate shot and borked it. Forget about Tua, we've seen Grier's ceiling. Ross seems to be dead-set on winning with Grier, so much that he can't see the problem. This franchise DOES NOT have the mentality, and it shows itself on the field year after year.

Some owners have it, some don't...he don't. There are some franchises around the league that are respected, decade after decade, because of how they operate. They have a mystique that they perpetuate by shrewd management. How many times have the Dolphins been the laughing-stock, not just because of down years, but because of ancillary bullshit that goes on in that organization? He doesn't set the excellence standard...keeping Philbin around, etc...that is his #1 job IMO. His resume is fail.

Sure, putting money into the stadium is great and all, but lets not act like that was all "for the team." He's getting that back and then some...it was an investment, and that's fine, but his leadership of this franchise can't stop at putting a great stadium experience together.

It's standard, basic, universal chain-of-command. It starts at the top. If he can't handle it, he should bounce (figure those odds). He obviously can't.

Those are PRECISELY the kind of decisions he should be more informed on...he doesn't have strong NFL knowledge. I'm sure he listens to Grier, and that's part of the problem. Grier's been in the organization FAR too long, through all the **** years...he had his clean-slate shot and borked it. Forget about Tua, we've seen Grier's ceiling. Ross seems to be dead-set on winning with Grier, so much that he can't see the problem. This franchise DOES NOT have the mentality, and it shows itself on the field year after year.

Some owners have it, some don't...he don't. There are some franchises around the league that are respected, decade after decade, because of how they operate. They have a mystique that they perpetuate by shrewd management. How many times have the Dolphins been the laughing-stock, not just because of down years, but because of ancillary bullshit that goes on in that organization? He doesn't set the excellence standard...keeping Philbin around, etc...that is his #1 job IMO. His resume is fail.

Sure, putting money into the stadium is great and all, but lets not act like that was all "for the team." He's getting that back and then some...it was an investment, and that's fine, but his leadership of this franchise can't stop at putting a great stadium experience together.
This is fine. You can place all of this at his feet and I’m not going to argue you’re entirely wrong. I have hated every hiring decision this franchise has made since Saban. Every one.

The only thing I can say is that cleaning house (which I would have loved to see at various points) isn‘t automatically a solution. I don’t love Grier, but do I have a better view of Grier after he brought in Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie and would I be willing to let that work for a few seasons? Yes.

And as far as ancillary bullshit, I don’t blame Ross for the bullying horseshit. I don’t blame Ross for supposed tampering and supposed tanking. This stuff happens with every organization. The problem for Ross and the Dolphins was having employed Flores. And again, some organization was going to hire Flores. We happened to make the mistake. I mean seriously, there is some owner out there who might make the same mistake again.

"The sky is falling". Many posters want the instant gratification that comes with quick success. That seems to be especially true of the "newbie posters that have just joined, you know who you are. Meanwhile the talent on this team has improved form a division 2 college program back in 2019 to a contender. Obviously we are not quite ready for prime time yet, it took Andy Reid years to make KC competitive, to the point that they were talking about firing him. This team has improved, (yea, the Texicans won the Turnstyle trade, right 'O ignorant ones) but has not developed the mental fortitude to go win in cold weather on the road. We can't even win the biggest games at home. Now some here want everybody fired and the owner banned from the league? That's pure stupidity. The team is getting better, just not as fast as ANYBODY wants it too. The front office/ coaching staff seems to be working together better than it has since Saint Shula was here. There are 31 other teams that both get paid and want to win too. In the mean time everybody's bitching...

Respected owners/ franchises are a myth, no one cares what the owners or teams do and even less so if their teams are winning.

Case(s) in point:
  • Robert Craft - Orchards of Asia (soliciting prostitutes) , Cheating, Tampering
  • Jerry Jones - Paternity Suits, Sexual harassment filed by former Cheerleaders
  • Jim Irsay - Drunk driving, illegal narcotics, driving under the influence of narcotics
  • Jimmy Haslam - found guilty of defrauding customers 100 million dollar fine and 50 million dollar customer settlement
  • Jerry Richardson - guilty of workplace ' sexual misconduct' fined 3 million
  • Dan Snyder - workplace 'misconduct, sexual harassment claimed by 15 female employees
There's a lot more that Owners have simply got away with but no one seems to care. Ross has had his own issues that we got penalized for but three years from now no one will care or even remember.

Fans and the rest of the football world will overlook almost anything in exchange for wins.

It's honestly mind boggling...

This team still sucks, the rebuild failed. Epic collapse this year and almost complete inability to compete against good NFL teams. Being the best bad team or the worst good team is very very little consolation. We are just perennial losers when the games get big and matter.

Back
Top Bottom