Good Article on available QB's when we took Feeley | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Article on available QB's when we took Feeley

vinivedivichi said:
You're missing the point.....

That is the point. He felt (like many of us) that we needed a franchise quarterback. Instead of dealing with the fact that there wasn't one available, he somehow decided that Feeley was one. He felt so strongly, in fact, that he dealt a 2nd round pick for Feeley when we could have signed a few of the other guys as free agents. The "safe" choice would have been signing a proven quarterback at no cost (draft-wise) and waiting for the next year to find that franchise quarterback. Instead he mortgaged our future on a hope that a 3rd string QB would be our saviour.

For reference, look at what Saban did when he came in. He knew that we needed a franchise QB from day one, but instead of overpaying for a lesser talent he signed Frerotte and waited for the market to come around.
Mortgaged our future??

If losing those two draft picks was as devestating a blow to this franchise as it's being made out to be, then how the heck are we sitting here now thinking we could have a SB season a mere two years later?

There's a bit too much hyperbole mixed in with what we actually gave up.

inFINSible said:
Mortgaged our future??

If losing those two draft picks was as devestating a blow to this franchise as it's being made out to be, then how the heck are we sitting here now thinking we could have a SB season a mere two years later?

There's a bit too much hyperbole mixed in with what we actually gave up.

Maybe so, but in his reign in totality it's clear that he placed an emphasis on short term results while seemingly ignoring long term consequences.

I think Spielman supporters fail to realize that the critics don't really point to the personnel mistakes as his downfall, we focus on his tainted idea of value. Taking a chance on Gordon and Feeley and them not working out is not necessarily a kiss of death; I'm sure before it's all said and done Saban will make some personnel mistakes. The point, however, is that Spielman essentially took the position that Feeley was SO much better than the guys on the market that he was willing to give a 2nd rounder for Feeley when the others could have been had for nothing. Same for Gordon.

vinivedivichi said:
Maybe so, but in his reign in totality it's clear that he placed an emphasis on short term results while seemingly ignoring long term consequences.

I think Spielman supporters fail to realize that the critics don't really point to the personnel mistakes as his downfall, we focus on his tainted idea of value. Taking a chance on Gordon and Feeley and them not working out is not necessarily a kiss of death; I'm sure before it's all said and done Saban will make some personnel mistakes. The point, however, is that Spielman essentially took the position that Feeley was SO much better than the guys on the market that he was willing to give a 2nd rounder for Feeley when the others could have been had for nothing. Same for Gordon.

With Feeley you can make the arguement that maybe he had some better choices or other choices.

With Gordon, he really didn't. Well his choices were standing pat or getting Gordon.

Must be something the Eagles like about AJ, or they wouldn't have resigned him .

I don't remember who was available, but Gordon couldn't even make our team last year. I would say there were definitely better (cheaper) options out there.

ckparrothead said:
Selective memory sure is nice. The guy not only remembers things wrong, but he conveniently leaves out other stuff.

First off, Mark Brunell had an 85.9 QB rating last year, led his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs, helped Santana Moss gain like 1,500 yards or something...and to this guy, Brunell is simply "that guy that is stinking it up in Snyderville".

Second, yes...Drew Henson and Billy Volek were two guys who were also available. Drew Henson has done nothing in Big D and now is going the way of the dodo. But the dude simply ignores how in 2004, the same year Feeley was stinking it up and throwing more interceptions returned for a TD than I've ever seen before, Volek came in for McNair for 10 games, grabbed an 87.1 QB rating completing 61.1% of his passes with 18 TDs and 10 INTs.

The guy also conveniently forgets that Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner were three veterans that were set to be available. And, while I would not exactly hang my hat on any of them as franchise performers, all three have performed better than Feeley did since the time in question. Garcia, the worst of the three, had a 76.7 rating in Cleveland in 2004 then a 65.1 rating in Cleveland. Collins put together ratings of 74.8 and 77.3 in Oakland. Warner, probably the most successful of any of the options discussed aside from maybe Brunell, put together an 86.5 rating in NY, and a 85.8 rating in ARI.

When Feeley got his big chance, he coughed up a 61.7 rating. When he got more chances prior to 2005, he got busted down to third string. Then when he got more chances with San Diego this off season, he got busted out of the roster altogether in favor of two rookies, Charlie Whitehurst and Brett Elliott.

Nothing will ever vindicate Rick Spielman for his decision that year. He paid the highest price among all of the QBs discussed, and got arguably the worst one of the bunch (depending on how you feel about Henson).

Plus he forgot an extremely important lesson when it comes to making these decisions. Not only are you not guaranteed to pick the right one among a group of QBs available in any given year, there is no guarantee that ANY of them are the franchise player you hope...because any given year there is probably only a 1/3rd or 1/2 chance that ANY QB that changes hands, turns out to be a franchise guy within a few years.

Spielman's an idiot, end of story.

You are obviously biased. That article is dead on. The Phins were looking for a young, potential long term starter. Not a flash in the pan, so Volek's one decent yr is irrelevant. Spielman tried to get Brunell, but he was outbid by the Skins. Spielamn correctly realized that Henson was nothing special and the Skins were asking too high a compensation for Ramsey.
The Feeley saga actually began 1-2 yrs earlier. Spielman had a tentative deal struck with the Packers for Matt Hasselbeck. At the last minute Speilman hesitated and didn't pull the trigger. That allowed Holmgren the window of opportunity to swoop in and grab him.
I think that mistake haunted Spielman so he scoured the league for young backups that he thought could be solid NFL starters. Recall, that the Dolphins were desperate for a true starter at the time. Feely had shown some promise in limited action for Philly. Apparently, Spielman watched every game tape of Feely while a starter at Oregon and came away impressed.
I think the loss of Hasselbeck was the reason Spielman gambled with Feely.
This is not an excuse, but you have to think back to the situation the Dolphins were in at the time. They were in a win now mode.

vinivedivichi said:
I don't remember who was available, but Gordon couldn't even make our team last year. I would say there were definitely better (cheaper) options out there.

There wasn't a Chris Brown available then.

There is a reason Miami had Vic King and Brock Forsey.

jlfin said:
You are obviously biased. That article is dead on. The Phins were looking for a young, potential long term starter. Not a flash in the pan, so Volek's one decent yr is irrelevant. Spielman tried to get Brunell, but he was outbid by the Skins. Spielamn correctly realized that Henson was nothing special and the Skins were asking too high a compensation for Ramsey.
The Feeley saga actually began 1-2 yrs earlier. Spielman had a tentative deal struck with the Packers for Matt Hasselbeck. At the last minute Speilman hesitated and didn't pull the trigger. That allowed Holmgren the window of opportunity to swoop in and grab him.
I think that mistake haunted Spielman so he scoured the league for young backups that he thought could be solid NFL starters. Recall, that the Dolphins were desperate for a true starter at the time. Feely had shown some promise in limited action for Philly. Apparently, Spielman watched every game tape of Feely while a starter at Oregon and came away impressed.
I think the loss of Hasselbeck was the reason Spielman gambled with Feely.
This is not an excuse, but you have to think back to the situation the Dolphins were in at the time. They were in a win now mode.

So, if someone has a different opinion than you, they are "obviously biased"? What's that all about?

SCall13 said:
I remember alot of people defending and supporting the acquisition of Feeley. In fact, at one time, it seems like MOST of the board was. I would have taken Fiedler over Feeley ANY day. Still would. Feeley was not only a bad QB, but he was a bad actor, acting as if he was hurt worse than he was when he'd get bumped into by a defender. He had no balls and no leadership. He had no confidence in himself, therefore the team had no confidence in him. I've always said this. I don't remember who all supported Feeley. And I'm not about to go scouring the old posts to find out who his most loyal supporters were. But there were plenty. I think the biggest reason there was so much support for Feeley was because fans have been so desperate for a quality signal caller and were ready to jump on anyone's bandwagon. Personally, I'm not that easily persuaded.

I'll admit I supported the Feeley trade, however, I always felt that a 2nd rounder for an unproven commodity was unwise.
Feely had good physical skills, however, his lack of success, I believe is due to his lack of competitiveness. I recall reading some quotes from Feeley after the trade where he was whining about how much he would miss Philly and their fans. He, apparently, was a popular figure in Philly. However, decent backups are usually popular because there is no pressure or blame put on them by fans or media. He was a decent looking guy with a cute girlfriend.
That's where the red flag popped up. Most QB's that are winners (intangibles) are competitive as hell and somewhat ****y. Instead of bemoaning the trade to the Dolphins (leaving a backup role with the Eagles) he should have been excited at the prospect of being a starting NFL QB. He seemed too aloof for my taste and that is why he has failed IMO. I don't think he cares one way or the other if he collects a nice salary while wearing a baseball cap and carrying a clipborard around.

Gardenhead said:
So, if someone has a different opinion than you, they are "obviously biased"? What's that all about?

Just pointing out the facts and refreshing everyone's memory of that time in Dolphins history.
Hindsight is 20/20

jlfin said:
Just pointing out the facts and refreshing everyone's memory of that time in Dolphins history.
Hindsight is 20/20

You didn't really answer my question...not that I really expected you to.

The best QB that was available at that time was on our team.

Brian Griese looks like he will win the starting job in Chicago and arguably has outperformed all of the others names mentioned.

Throughout their careers I cant remember Wanny or Speilman ever making a good judgement on a QB.
They had opportunities but misjudged them.

CrunchTime said:

Brian Griese looks like he will win the starting job in Chicago and arguably has outperformed all of the others names mentioned.

Throughout their careers I cant remember Wanny or Speilman ever making a good judgement on a QB.

In the end yeah Griese was another one that was definitely more successful than Feeley.

CrunchTime said:

Yea I don't understand why they didn't just keep Griese.

Syra39 said:
Must be something the Eagles like about AJ, or they wouldn't have resigned him .

Or, hoping another director of player personnel is dumb enough to give up a 2nd for him

Back
Top Bottom