Good Article on available QB's when we took Feeley | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Article on available QB's when we took Feeley

Now, that thread has been cleaned up....Please drop the off topic stuff and settle it in PMs.Thank you.

I'm going to re-open the thread again today.

Please keep the nonsense out of it, or I'll close it for good.

:pray:

Yea and Amen!

ckparrothead said:
Selective memory sure is nice. The guy not only remembers things wrong, but he conveniently leaves out other stuff.

First off, Mark Brunell had an 85.9 QB rating last year, led his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs, helped Santana Moss gain like 1,500 yards or something...and to this guy, Brunell is simply "that guy that is stinking it up in Snyderville".

Second, yes...Drew Henson and Billy Volek were two guys who were also available. Drew Henson has done nothing in Big D and now is going the way of the dodo. But the dude simply ignores how in 2004, the same year Feeley was stinking it up and throwing more interceptions returned for a TD than I've ever seen before, Volek came in for McNair for 10 games, grabbed an 87.1 QB rating completing 61.1% of his passes with 18 TDs and 10 INTs.

The guy also conveniently forgets that Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner were three veterans that were set to be available. And, while I would not exactly hang my hat on any of them as franchise performers, all three have performed better than Feeley did since the time in question. Garcia, the worst of the three, had a 76.7 rating in Cleveland in 2004 then a 65.1 rating in Cleveland. Collins put together ratings of 74.8 and 77.3 in Oakland. Warner, probably the most successful of any of the options discussed aside from maybe Brunell, put together an 86.5 rating in NY, and a 85.8 rating in ARI.

When Feeley got his big chance, he coughed up a 61.7 rating. When he got more chances prior to 2005, he got busted down to third string. Then when he got more chances with San Diego this off season, he got busted out of the roster altogether in favor of two rookies, Charlie Whitehurst and Brett Elliott.

Nothing will ever vindicate Rick Spielman for his decision that year. He paid the highest price among all of the QBs discussed, and got arguably the worst one of the bunch (depending on how you feel about Henson).

Plus he forgot an extremely important lesson when it comes to making these decisions. Not only are you not guaranteed to pick the right one among a group of QBs available in any given year, there is no guarantee that ANY of them are the franchise player you hope...because any given year there is probably only a 1/3rd or 1/2 chance that ANY QB that changes hands, turns out to be a franchise guy within a few years.

Spielman's an idiot, end of story.

You nailed it ck!

We Overpaid.

The whole problem with Feeley was that the pick given for him was TOO HIGH. This is a classic case of management giving in to the public. Jay was hated so they had to get SOMEBODY. The had a 10 cent head and a million dollar arm. Jay had a Million Dollar head, and a 5 cent arm.

CrunchTime said:
The best QB that was available at that time was on our team.

Brian Griese looks like he will win the starting job in Chicago and arguably has outperformed all of the others names mentioned.

Throughout their careers I cant remember Wanny or Speilman ever making a good judgement on a QB.
They had opportunities but misjudged them.

I was furious when they let Griese go since he didn't exactly have a solid opportunity to prove himself and then burned a high draft pick on an unproven player. Griese took a Tampa offense that was worse than ours at the time and helped it win games. Had Saban been in charge that offseason, I don't think we would have experienced that meltdown. He was easily the best QB we had since Marino and possibly topped only by Culpepper.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Yea I don't understand why they didn't just keep Griese.

His contract for one, but considering the salary he took in Tampa, I'm sure he could've restructured it. That and Wanny had a love for Fiedler.

we didnt trade for feeley we leased him for 2 seasons.....

1. Eagles Draft feeley with the 24th pick in the 5th round
2. Miami trades 2nd round pick for him
3.Dolphins trade him and conditional pick for Lemon fom chargers
4. Chargers cut Feeley
5. Eagles Sign Feeley

Phily gets a second round pick and feeley back (laughing all the way)
Dolphins give a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick we get one of the worst Offense's in the NFL and cleo lemon anothe carrier 3rd string QB.
you cant put on blinders and only see the FA at the time (we gave a 2nd for him and Culpepper both) Feeley wasnt even a FA at the time. what could we have gotten with or for that 2nd is the question

Prakk said:
The whole problem with Feeley was that the pick given for him was TOO HIGH. This is a classic case of management giving in to the public. Jay was hated so they had to get SOMEBODY. The had a 10 cent head and a million dollar arm. Jay had a Million Dollar head, and a 5 cent arm.

Basically this is what it comes down to, not that Feeley was a bad choice amoung available choices, but that we paid too high a price. As the article points out, every person we could have gotten is ending up not looking too good. Basically they would have been short term solutions. Even if we got Curt Warner, Brunnell or Collins, we wouldn't have been able to do much behind the new OL we were assembling that year. In essence we can see how Bret Farve looks behind a OL that's not very good last year..so for anyone to suggest that some great, unavailable to us at the time, QB would have done better for us is a little disingenuious. We still would have needed a young future franchise QB..but if Feeley would have worked out..we could have been set for years to come based on his age at the time.

Feeley was a bad choice among available choices. In fact, he was the worst choice among available choices.

ckparrothead said:
Feeley was a bad choice among available choices. In fact, he was the worst choice among available choices.
I give him this year to do something, which isn't likely. He'll end up in the CFL next year.

ckparrothead said:

But amoung available choices we didn't know that at the time. He had displayed potential with Philly..but that was behind a good OL, and a good team, which we weren't at the time. I just think we gave up too large a draft choice for him..but like most here tried to hope it would work out. He had a strong arm, mobility, and some of the intangibles you look for. But he was young behind a young line, with no Ricky, who we thought we were going to have to help him. I just can't think Andy Reid is just that dumb..that they actually gave up Troy to get AJ back on the field. Behind a good OL and someone who believe in him, I'd really like to see would he could be in year 2.

MDFINFAN said:
But amoung available choices we didn't know that at the time.

Spielman is paid to know that at the time. That was his job description. He didn't do his job, and overpaid to boot, and got fired for it.

And that potential in Philly wasn't a whole heck of a lot. Despite all those weapons and an easy WCO he still came away with a QB rating in the 70's. He won games, but so did Damon Huard. Feeley had a good arm, but did not have good accuracy and did not handle pressure extremely well. He just happened to have a line that never let anyone get pressure on him, and a system that had a lot of dumpoffs, rollouts, and screens forcing DL to not pin their ears back trying to go after the QB.

Andy Reid isn't dumb. He's got Jeff Garcia to back up Donovan McNabb, and he grabbed back a guy that was popular in the locker room and in the city of Philadelphia (he hosted a radio show there) to be his third stringer again. And, it's a guy that knows the system.

For all the excuses related to Feeley's time in Miami in 2004, the guy legitimately fell to 3rd string in 2005, and then went to San Diego and lost out to an undrafted rookie free agent Brett Elliott.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

ckparrothead said:
Spielman is paid to know that at the time. That was his job description. He didn't do his job, and overpaid to boot, and got fired for it.

And that potential in Philly wasn't a whole heck of a lot. Despite all those weapons and an easy WCO he still came away with a QB rating in the 70's. He won games, but so did Damon Huard. Feeley had a good arm, but did not have good accuracy and did not handle pressure extremely well. He just happened to have a line that never let anyone get pressure on him, and a system that had a lot of dumpoffs, rollouts, and screens forcing DL to not pin their ears back trying to go after the QB.

Andy Reid isn't dumb. He's got Jeff Garcia to back up Donovan McNabb, and he grabbed back a guy that was popular in the locker room and in the city of Philadelphia (he hosted a radio show there) to be his third stringer again. And, it's a guy that knows the system.

For all the excuses related to Feeley's time in Miami in 2004, the guy legitimately fell to 3rd string in 2005, and then went to San Diego and lost out to an undrafted rookie free agent Brett Elliott.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

I agree he's done as far as a starting QB...Miami and SD has seen to that..
But I think Spielman went for what he could get, but at a rediculous price..Speilman was in his first year and he made mistakes as any GM does, I'm sure he'd learn from them..even season gm's don't always get it right..Detroit can attest to that..but in the end none of the QB's at that time would be our long term answer.

Regan21286 said:
I thought the Fins should've kept Griese instead of trading a pick for Feeley. But I was ok with the move since I wanted someone other than Fiedler to take the helm. Griese played well for Tampa before they decided to go with the youth movement and right now is upstaging Rex Grossman in Chicago. We'd have been able to save that pick and still get better results.

I agree. Not that Griese is an outstanding QB, but he would have been at least as good as anyone available in the 2004 FA market or via trade, and the guy was already on our roster!

Back
Top Bottom