Good Bye | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Bye

How do you know that an OG/OT picked in the 2nd round isn't going to help improve the offensive line? A talented LG ,even a rookie, playing next to Tunsil could help improve the line immensly. I have no doubt that a OG picked in the 2nd round has a better chance at being successful than Josh Rosen does behind a bad offensive line. I mean people can make the same argument about this team's pasts results with trading 2nd round picks for QBs. I am just going to agree to disagree. I just hope that I am wrong about Rosen. If I am not then the Dolphins will most likely be picking top 3 next year which means they will have a shot at one of the top QBs. Only thing will be the wasted picks but that won't be anything new.
I'm not saying that drafting a good player on the O line wouldn't be a great thing. Just that the likelihood of that one player being the difference between good protection for our QB and a good running game and bad protection and no running game is unlikely. Possible (I guess), but not likely.

You're just presuming that.

I do worry about Rosen behind this offensive line, I can't lie, but I've learned you can't be afraid to take a chance on a QB just because of your line. Though we seem to be catastrophically bad at it, its easier to find line prospects than QB prospects. I've seen this team field unfathomably bad lines before that I thought nobody could be successful behind, then I watched guys like Pennington and Frerotte come in and actually move in the pocket behind most of those same linemen and suddenly our line still wasn't good, but it wasn't something you had to think about. Bad QB's and bad staffs make lines look worse than they are. Remember how much better the line looked in a lot of games Osweiler started (note, not calling him a good QB)?

My biggest hope is that the new coaching staff does a better job coaching up the offensive line. They don't have Donte Scarnecchia but there is still hope that they do a better job than previous staffs. I agree with your point that a QB can make an O-line look either worse or better depending of their pocket movement, speed of progressions and getting rid of the ball quicker.

I'm not saying that drafting a good player on the O line wouldn't be a great thing. Just that the likelihood of that one player being the difference between good protection for our QB and a good running game and bad protection and no running game is unlikely. Possible (I guess), but not likely.
One thing I hope with Flores and his staff is being more commited to running the ball. That is one thing that Gase got away from too soon IMO. Yes the offensive line wasn't great at run blocking but it seemed that even in games when it was working Gase went away from it. I think Flores and his guys will stick with it more. It seems like simple logic but a balanced offense is usually a more successful one. Plus it does take some pressure away from your QB. I would love to see the Dolphins have a dominant O-line and running game again.

I mean honestly there is no way of changing what they gave up for Rosen. Which is pick #62 in 2019 and a 5th round pick in 2020. If you believe that is great value then fine but it doesn't change the fact that those two picks are gone because they got Rosen.
It is great value. The whole 'would you trade a third round pick for Rosen' was nothing more than a message board fodder post not based on what was ever actually reality. That was simply stupid speculation by a writer throwing darts at a board.

Using the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart, the 62nd pick is worth 284 points and a 5th round pick is in the mid 30s. Give the 5th round pick 35 points and that totals 319 points....equivalent to the 58th pick in the draft. So am I okay with trading the 58th pick for a guy picked 10th the season before and whose salary is mostly getting paid by the previous team?

Ummm....yeah. People's view of Rosen based on a rookie season where he had a train wreck around him has gotten waaayyyy out of hand.

It is great value. The whole 'would you trade a third round pick for Rosen' was nothing more than a message board fodder post not based on what was ever actually reality. That was simply stupid speculation by a writer throwing darts at a board.

Using the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart, the 62nd pick is worth 284 points and a 5th round pick is in the mid 30s. Give the 5th round pick 35 points and that totals 319 points....equivalent to the 58th pick in the draft. So am I okay with trading the 58th pick for a guy picked 10th the season before and whose salary is mostly getting paid by the previous team?

Ummm....yeah. People's view of Rosen based on a rookie season where he had a train wreck around him has gotten waaayyyy out of hand.
What's the Saints second rounder next year worth? :D

How do you know that an OG/OT picked in the 2nd round isn't going to help improve the offensive line? A talented LG ,even a rookie, playing next to Tunsil could help improve the line immensly. I have no doubt that a OG picked in the 2nd round has a better chance at being successful than Josh Rosen does behind a bad offensive line. I mean people can make the same argument about this team's pasts results with trading 2nd round picks for QBs. I am just going to agree to disagree. I just hope that I am wrong about Rosen. If I am not then the Dolphins will most likely be picking top 3 next year which means they will have a shot at one of the top QBs. Only thing will be the wasted picks but that won't be anything new.

I'm fine with wasting picks for a potential franchise QB at pennies on the dollar. I don't disagree that second round picks can help out a lot. Though we've absolutely whiffed on quite a few, we've also gotten guys like Howard and Landry who have outplayed our first.

We need to be prepared for a '19 season of both Fitz and Rosen as the starter, cuz no way either one will make the full 16 games healthy enough to be the starter. What happens if Rosen plays good enough tho, what do we do then? Still try for Herbert or Tua? Ehhh....I just hope somehow, someway, this team lands Trevor Lawrence in '21.

We were starting from the ground up, nope. We got hustled by a ****ty team with no leverage for a sub part Qb who'll be cheap.
Good luck in the future with the same old story . God Bless.
If he sux we may be able to draft tua, if he’s good then hell yea…Just hope he’s not meh

Got a 4th for Ajayi and it was the end of the world... what's the point, we've been done etc...
Use a 5th on last year's 10th overall pick, a QB who was always gonna go first round and reading some comments it would appear that the 5th round is now where all the best players get picked, it's a disgrace!! Even though itd prob have got lost amongst all the other picks we'll have anyway

I was willing to give Chris Grier a fair shot. However getting swindled by the Cardinals by giving up a 2nd round pick for a guy who more than likely won't even be on the team in 2020 is just inexcusable. Sorry I am not buying the notion that throwing away picks now because you have a bunch of picks next year is a great strategy. This team needs all the picks they can get. What will we be saying when they are picking one of the top QBs in 2020? How many are still going to be praising Grier if he trades Rosen away for a 6th round pick in 2020.

I think it is time to take a break from this. Tonight has pretty much ruined this draft for me. Oh well at some point the team will hire competent people. Right?
Why trade him at all why not keep him as a backup?

Back
Top Bottom