Good thing we didn't draft Ryan Swope? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good thing we didn't draft Ryan Swope?

Jeff Fuller a WR currently on our squad and once regarded as a high draft pick before his senior year at Texas A&M also suffered concussions. We picked him up as a college free agent last year and it is not looking good for him so far. Concussions take alot of reciever a long time to get over if they every do as their sense of taking a hit over the middle plays on their phsyce.

I wasn't a Swoope guy, but I think it is funny that people sighting his concussion history as a problem are many of the same people saying that our multiple draft picks rehabbing surgeries are no big deal?

The difference is while "sports medicine" for most body injuries have improved hugely, there is no "fixing" the damage concussions do to the brain, which is the part of the body which controls almost everything.

p.s. I should add that due to the large amount of brain damage to soldiers due to IEDs, we are learning a lot but have a very long way to go. But in the NFL, admitting that players do have problems is the first big step.

Poor kid, makes it this far and can't get on the field. and with the plays and passes he was running last year he must of been worried every play could of been a concussion because Johnny football was hitting him in traffic in areas that receivers take big hits. Couldnt of been fun for swope, hope the kid gets better.

The kid has rare ability on the football field. He runs good routes, has decent size, is fast, quick, jumps well, separates well, has good hands, and has proven very productive in this type of offense in college under our OC and QB. I'd take a flyer on that 8 days a week.

If Ross is worried about the negative PR that can come from having/waiving a player with concussion problems, fine, then there is nothing Ireland, Philbin or anyone else can do about it. But purely from a football standpoint, I'd take the chance on the guy. He may become Jahvid Best, or he may simply be an investment like Lattimore but at a less important position.

Either way, this kid has exceptional ability, and if he gets cut, I definitely hope we bring him to Miami.

All those cat calls here on this 'message' board to take him with a 2nd round pick. :lol:

The kid has rare ability on the football field. He runs good routes, has decent size, is fast, quick, jumps well, separates well, has good hands, and has proven very productive in this type of offense in college under our OC and QB. I'd take a flyer on that 8 days a week.

If Ross is worried about the negative PR that can come from having/waiving a player with concussion problems, fine, then there is nothing Ireland, Philbin or anyone else can do about it. But purely from a football standpoint, I'd take the chance on the guy. He may become Jahvid Best, or he may simply be an investment like Lattimore but at a less important position.

Either way, this kid has exceptional ability, and if he gets cut, I definitely hope we bring him to Miami.

This post couldn't be anymore laughable. People and their love affair for a 6th round pick is amazing. But not surprising here.

As someone who was a proponent of us drafting Swope, I'll freely admit that I was wrong about him. I had no idea that his concussion issues were so bad, and in hindsight, it was a smart move to pass on him. Hopefully he comes out of this successfully and has a decent career.

I think the biggest thing was most of us wanted to take advantage of potentially one of the deepest receiver classes in NFL history and draft A receiver. But, as usual, Ireland is smarter than the rest of the world. Just like when he decided not to take advantage of one of the deepest tight end classes ever and let the Patriots walk away with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez and the Ravens with Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta.

Everyone wanted him on here and he might not have a long career... hope he shakes it tho...

All those cat calls here on this 'message' board to take him with a 2nd round pick. :lol:

Amen...the mancrush level here for swope was strange and borderline obsessive. The kid is fast but not 2nd rd talent. This is one of those reports where 1/3 of the posters say "told you so", 1/3 say "I guess I was wrong", and 1/3 say "still would have drafted him in the 2nd"

I admit that I was one who wanted to draft him. But full marks to those who did their homework re the multiple concussions. Hope that his health improves.

The difference is while "sports medicine" for most body injuries have improved hugely, there is no "fixing" the damage concussions do to the brain, which is the part of the body which controls almost everything.

p.s. I should add that due to the large amount of brain damage to soldiers due to IEDs, we are learning a lot but have a very long way to go. But in the NFL, admitting that players do have problems is the first big step.

How about kidney failure due to prolong use of blood pressure meds?

I thought Swope was a perfect fit. Perhaps, he was, but it shows you the medical on him made him untouchable.

This thing is beyond "cat calls" about who wanted Swope. This kid has some major issues and the hope should be that he has a normal life beyond football, folks. Get some perspective.

Why do people insist on cherry picking all the late rounders who made it in this league? They conveniently leave out the fact that none of them suffered numerous concussion in college.

Back
Top Bottom