Grade Bill Lazor So Far... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade Bill Lazor So Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite five new starters on the offensive line, and a knee injury to our only legitimate receiving threat at tight end, the The 2014 Dolphins are improved in the following categories:

Rushing YPC
Rushing Attempts per Game
Rushing First Downs per Game
Rushing YPG
Sack Rate
Passing Touchdown Rate
Passing Interception Rate
Passing First Downs per Game
Passer Efficiency Rating
Yards per Point
Offensive Touchdowns per Game
Offensive Points per Game
Yards per Game
Yards per Play
First Downs per Game
Third Down Conversion Rate

In many cases, we are significantly better in these categories, and in fact we rank around #10 in most of these statistical categories. The one that's bothersome is third down conversion rate, as even though we've improved, we're still poor there.

Areas where we are performing worse than last year:

Red Zone TD Efficiency
Yards per Passing Attempt

Red Zone TD Efficiency is slightly down, and that's mostly a function of a fluke Lamar Miller goal-line fumble, but that is still one area where we can improve. Yards per Passing Attempt has skyrocketed the past three weeks and it is my belief that it will wind up being an area of substantial improvement when all is said and done. The Dolphins' AY/A has been very good overall the last three weeks.

I'm grading Lazor based on what he has to work with, how the team is beginning to pick up the offense, and on the overall improvement of the offense compared to last season. Through six weeks, I'd give him a solid A.

B+ because I still hated what I saw against the Chiefs. But these past three games I have loved more and more of his playcalling and hoping it continues to improve. I like that he is calling plays that go with what each player is good at. If we start hitting that deep ball.....watch out.

J. D. makes a good case for A but all things considered (Bills and Chiefs) i'd say B but trending upward

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

If we start hitting that deep ball.....watch out.

:up:

B. Took way too long to figure out that Tannehill used to play WR and that he might know a thing or two about running. I want more runs from Tannehill damn it!

Some games A some games F

Some great playcalling, some repeated run calls on 3rd and 10 :crazy:

I like the fact that he has figured out what Ryan cannot do well (the deep ball), and is not asking him to do it. Taking this long for him to figure that out, when most on here knew it, looks bad.

The guy has only been OC for a couple of games. As the season progresses he will gauge our squad as to what our strengths/weakness are and adjust his play calling accordingly. So if anyone gives the man an average to low grade, remember this point.

B. Took way too long to figure out that Tannehill used to play WR and that he might know a thing or two about running. I want more runs from Tannehill damn it!

Do you really think Lazor didn't know anything about Tannehill? I'm sure he had Tannehill figured out long before you did.

Maybe the Bears defense was the best option to try to run him.

Sent from my Nexus 7

A-

I'm very pleased. With 5 new linemen and an entirely new approach to the offense as well as scheme he had managed significantly more points per game at a time in the season where defenses typically dominate. Bravo.

As JD Wannyheimer mentioned, there has been statistically significant improvement in a ton of categories backing up the belief that this is no fluke. In fact, IMHO, the rocky start is down to so many new things taking time for adjustment. Overall, this should continue to get better.

Once Lazor gets a TE or two who have size and are complete players, I expect the red zone and 3rd down stuff to improve as well. Once he gets a RB who can run, block and catch that will help too. Yes, we still need work along the OL, but Lazor has shown the ability to create a run game much better than the talent executing it merits.

I'm going solid A. He's done a nice job adjusting to the skills of his players. He's used Wallace well. The run scheme is fabulous. It's the easiest job to criticize because hindsight works well. Fans are notorious for attacking offensive coordinators. But it's a tough job and the other side gets paid too. He's not always going to be right. But don't have a short term memory. Other than Scott Linehan, we haven't had good offensive coordinators since Danny retired.

I also like his leadership, smarts (qb in the Ivy League and some heavy hitter coaches have raved about his intellect) and his demanding style.

Realistically, he is still gaining maturity and experience as he has more responsibility now. But I'd be in favor of him becomung head coach after this season if we don't land one of the heavy hitter targets. I'd take him over the other assistants from around the league that have been bandied about.

I'd say A.
Realistically it's more like a B, but I get the sense that a lot of the shortcomings of this team are not necessarily Lazor's fault:

Philbin has used his coaching overrides to call "play-not-to-lose" strategies that have undermined what Lazor is trying to accomplish.
Tannehill had a lot of stagnation in his development from Zac Taylor and Philbin's oversight, a big problem-area Lazor now had to spend extra time on and would obviously be a detriment in his early plans for success.
The O-Line is mostly new and still somewhat jelling together, with Pouncey just getting back a few weeks ago. Trying to build an offense with a brand new OLine -- not easy.
Injuries with Moreno, one of the most fired-up players on the squad, make it an extra challenge to get everyone else fired up themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom