Grade Bill Lazor So Far... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade Bill Lazor So Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He started out slow but we are beginning to see his offense come together. I like that he has been calling the games to accentuate Tannehill's strengths and minimize his weaknesses lately.

Solid B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say A.
Realistically it's more like a B, but I get the sense that a lot of the shortcomings of this team are not necessarily Lazor's fault:

Philbin has used his coaching overrides to call "play-not-to-lose" strategies that have undermined what Lazor is trying to accomplish.
Tannehill had a lot of stagnation in his development from Zac Taylor and Philbin's oversight, a big problem-area Lazor now had to spend extra time on and would obviously be a detriment in his early plans for success.
The O-Line is mostly new and still somewhat jelling together, with Pouncey just getting back a few weeks ago. Trying to build an offense with a brand new OLine -- not easy.
Injuries with Moreno, one of the most fired-up players on the squad, make it an extra challenge to get everyone else fired up themselves.

Bingo. I'm grading the coach based on the players he is working with and what he is getting out of them.

Play design = A
Players' use = A
Playcalling = B-
Preparation of offense = C+
Halftime Adjustments = A

Lazor alone gets a B+ from me and here's why. He has installed a new look offense, put guys in the right position to succeed, and makes solid adjustments in game. His play calling is still developing though. And you can't give Lazor total credit without mentioning the job Benton has done with the line, or Hickey for acquiring said line. IMHO Benton gets an A, Duffner gets an A too.

With the oline playing so much better with the new additions (to Hickey's credit), it's hard to allocate credit between the new players versus the scheme. Lazor probably deserves a lot of credit, regardless, with getting all these new additions on the line to play well so fast. So I'm pleased. A-

Another subjective measurement.
A=4 (Excellent) B=3 (Good) C=3 (Average) D=1 (Poor)

Patriots 4
Bills 1
Chiefs 2
Raiders 4
Packers 3
Bears 4

Avg per game = 3.0 but on the rise (last 3 games = 3.66)

I expected him to be a terrific QB coach, an innovative offensive co-ordinator and a below-average playcaller (based on his resume to date).

So far, I'd say he's an average QB coach, a good offensive co-ordinator and a rapidly improving playcaller. I'm intrigued with the guy. He's very charismatic, which can mask a lot of crap if you let it, but I genuinely believe - behind the charm and winning smile - he's got some traits to be one of those top tier offensive/gameday minds in the league.

I give him an A for this reason alone... this offense FINALLY has an identity which I don't think we've had sense Ricky Williams was here. Case in point.... In the Chicago game on two separate occasions once on the goal line and once on 3rd and short, we lined up in the shotgun and ran the ball. I'm screaming at the TV WHY AREN'T WE LINING UP IN I FORMATION AND POUNDING IN THERE TO GET 1 YARD!!!!!! But then I realized, that's not our identity. We aren't a pound you in the mouth team. We're a spread em out make them think type team. So on one play i think miller scored and the other was a Long run by Tannehill on the read option keeper. Even if it didn't work, I have to respect an offensive coordinator that knows his teams identity and sticks with to that no matter what. Don't ask your players to do things you know they can't do (ala Wheeler guarding a TE in the Flat)

Despite five new starters on the offensive line, and a knee injury to our only legitimate receiving threat at tight end, the The 2014 Dolphins are improved in the following categories:

Rushing YPC
Rushing Attempts per Game
Rushing First Downs per Game
Rushing YPG
Sack Rate
Passing Touchdown Rate
Passing Interception Rate
Passing First Downs per Game
Passer Efficiency Rating
Yards per Point
Offensive Touchdowns per Game
Offensive Points per Game
Yards per Game
Yards per Play
First Downs per Game
Third Down Conversion Rate

In many cases, we are significantly better in these categories, and in fact we rank around #10 in most of these statistical categories. The one that's bothersome is third down conversion rate, as even though we've improved, we're still poor there.

Areas where we are performing worse than last year:

Red Zone TD Efficiency
Yards per Passing Attempt

Red Zone TD Efficiency is slightly down, and that's mostly a function of a fluke Lamar Miller goal-line fumble, but that is still one area where we can improve. Yards per Passing Attempt has skyrocketed the past three weeks and it is my belief that it will wind up being an area of substantial improvement when all is said and done. The Dolphins' AY/A has been very good overall the last three weeks.

I'm grading Lazor based on what he has to work with, how the team is beginning to pick up the offense, and on the overall improvement of the offense compared to last season. Through six weeks, I'd give him a solid A.
Excellent post Wanny.

That is really what you want. Advancement in the offense overall. We score more points, show a balanced attack, and continue to develop our QB. We still need a lot of work along the OL and TE, nd our RB still can't get third and short reliably, but it's definite improvement. In my book that's an A-.

Improved scoring per game but the offense was wildly inconsistent at scoring. Went to many long stretches in games without scoring points. 7 games with only one offensive TD isn't going to get it done in today's NFL. Red zone scoring was a big issue for this his short passing game. I give him a C+ for his first year.

B-. Much better then what we've had the past few years but still not the innovative offense I was hoping for. Maybe if he can get some more weapons for 2015 we can take it up a notch.

I'd say B+. Some questionable play calls here and there, but he got the running game going and helped Ryan Tannehill develop. Got a lot of production out of a team that has holes on the offensive line. It's a great start for Lazor.

Going B+, some games were just bleh at the beginning. Jaguars game is a blemish. Would be an A+ though if not for the "Bone head calls" brought on by Philbin that lost us 3 games.

B-. I really like Lazor. There were times I felt the scheme didn't match the opponent, but overall he did well in his first year as an OC considering the loss of Albert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom