grade the pick | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

grade the pick

A for me, with Sherman and Philbin on board now is the time to invest in a QB. Never seen him play but it does sound like he has all the attributes to be a great QB, give him time.

A

Our FO wouldn't have taken Tannehill without believing he will be our franchise QB for years to come. GO FINS!

B+

I like the pick, just not the spot. I wish we could've traded down a couple of spots and picked him up and maybe an extra pick or two.

BUT, I am not going to complain. I like the fact that we got one of the top QB's in this draft to groom being that the coach that has brought him along is still his coach.

If we would've picked him and didn't have the same coaches I'd be more critical, but with this specific staff I think the kid as a better than average chance that this will succeed.

I hope that he shows some flashes during pre-season. BTW, mark my words, if the kid shines, he may get the start THIS year. Again, any other coaching staff may hold him back, but these guys know him well. They feel very comfortable with him and the other two (Moore and Garrard) are just inherited baggage and a FA flyer, they aren't the future. So if he shines, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him get the nod. This is going to be a very exciting pre-season (thank god).

B - we needed a QB. Tannehill is a good prospect with all the tools. Just wished we could have got him at 20, not 8

C. We reached for a guy. I remember laughing at the Titans, Vikes, and Cincy last year for reaching for guys. Now I have to convince myself that this was the right move.

So because you're unsure if he will be a good one or a scrub you rated him a+?

I didn't rate Tannehill an A+.

I rated the pick of Tannehill an A+.

And it is. We needed to do this.

Balls out. Roll the dice. Take the risk.

You and I talked about this last night.

C-. 19 games. Dude played 19 games as a college QB after he was moved there from another position.

This is what you get when you win too many games in a lost season.

In case you are not smart enough to grasp this concept, I'll explain this to you. Tannehill was a QB first and switched to wide receiver to help his team out. Not the other way around.

c-

What I liked about the pick

- It's a long term investment in the QB position - the first since Henne

What I didn't like about the pick

- I don't think he was the best QB on the board. I think Weedon is better but we'll see. Weedon is who he will be compared against a few years down the line

- I think the chance was there to get Tannehill lower and get another pick to help the team. Risky ? Maybe but playing safe is not how you win in this league. No doubt there will be tales leaking in the next few days about how team X was going to take Tannehill at 9 / 10 / 11 or how no team was willing to trade up with us (but would with everyone else in the top 10). But I won't be buying

- I'm not a big fan of using high picks on players to "fit the system". Just take the best player, period. For all we know Philbin might not even be here two years down the road

D. This reminds me of when we passed on Patrick Willis for Ted Ginn. Keuchly was right there, and now he will be a pro bowl LB for the Panthers while Tannehill works on not locking onto his receivers.

this is nothing like that. 23 posts! nice job!

There were 6 elite players above us and we were top of the line for the next tier of players. We're in a new era where the cost of missing on a first round QB is lower than ever and Tannehill is only the second QB after M Ryan that has been in our Round 1 drafting range in years. To top it all off, we have more intel on the player than anybody else in the game of football and are prepared to stake our reps on that intel.

Not pulling the trigger in those circumstances is stupid. Cox is the only other player I would have gone for at #8 and he dropped to #12.

Give it a B, as Tanny will surely sit for several games, if not season 1.

I honestly think if we hadn't taken tannehill at 8 someone else would have taken him soon after. I liked weeden better at first but he's:

- gonna be a 29 year old rookie
- ran a simplistic offense
- was the worst rated qb under pressure of the 7 top rated passers

Tannehill has the biggest upside:
- ran wco in college
- highest rated qb under pressure
- highest completion % with 60 drops
- athletic, strong arm, can make all NFL throws

I think I would trust Sherman, who coached him in college, and philbin who helped groom a. Rodgers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom