Grading the AFCE draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the AFCE draft

Mike13

I am a golden god
Reaction score
Well now that the draft is over its time to give out report cards. I'll explain how this is going to work Im just going to analyze the Fins draft and anyone else can analyze any of the other teams, I would like to see what the Jets Bills and Pats fans think of thier drafts. Lets try to keep our bias out of this guys.

Miami: I was a little dissapointed that we didn't take Chad Greenway or Manny Lawson, but Saban addressed our biggest weakness by taking Jason Allen he can play both CB and Safety and he is great at both, I see him being used at Safety since we really could use a good starter. I think our secondary should be just fine with Poole, Daniels, Hill, Allen, and J Allen.
Derek Hagan is a talented WR, he runs smooth routes and he has great hands, he slipped to the third because he had a bad Senior Bowl and he isnt incredibly fast (He ran a 4.42 40). He should be our no 3 WR, which would mean Welker isnt going to see a lot if time at WR this year.
Joe Toledo is a talented and versitile OL and he gives us depth.

I can't say much about our 7th rounders, but Rodrique Wright intrests me, he was projected anywhere from rounds 3-5(At least thats what I heard) It was probably because of his arm injury. I found a scouting report of him
First Team All-Big 12 selection in 2005...Second Team All-Big 12 as both a sophomore and junior...First Team Freshman All-American...Racked up 13 TFLs and 4.5 sacks as a senior...An explosive, quick tackle who brings a rare combination of skills to the position...Has proven more than capable of putting pressure on quarterbacks and excels against the run...Possesses ideal size for the tackle position...Explodes out of his stance and can fight through double teams...Tremendous footwork enables him to change direction quickly...Understands the game and makes adjustments easily...Needs to work on consistency, but Wright has a chance to be a special pro.

He has talent and I believe he could be a gem. Devin Aromashadu is a speedy WR, and Fred Evans could be a decent back up, but both of those guys seem to be camp fodder to me.

Overall Saban did a decent job with what he had, its not as good as last year's draft, but its alright none the less. C+

ill comment on the Bills draft. many people have pointed out that the bills "reached" on both of their first 2 picks. this may be so, but they are both players that we really liked and needed, and both were high on other teams boards.

SS Whitner is expected to start this year, which tells you how desperatly we needed a SS. we also got a DT which we desperatly needed. i didnt think we needed a QB this year, but i was expecting us to atelast trade down a few spots since leinart was on the board.

i personally wanted either DT Bunkley or OT Justice. but seeing how far justice fell, im glad we didnt take him with the 8th overall pick. the eagles ended up with both players so i guess the eagles made out well this year. Justice is said to have fallen due to character issues, including being suspended for pointing a gun (replica) at a fellow student.

Radio and tv interviews after the draft showed just how high other teams placed both Whitner and McCargo. the ravens were reportedly planning on taking Whitner with their pick (13th overall), but after the bills took him, the ravens then traded up one spot to get Ngata. (i know Lewis wanted a DT, but these reports say they wanted whitner). also, reports say the giants wanted to select McCargo with the 32nd pick in the draft, and were forced to take their second choice DE Kiwanuka.

after the 1st and 2nd pick, the rest seem to be decent backups. we needed depth at FS and CB, and we also later took 3 offensive lineman which is another area we needed depth at.

IMO, we got players who filled large holes. some may have been taken a few spots before they were projected to go, but there was a very realistic chance that another team would have "reached" for them if we traded down in the 1st or waited at our spot in the 2nd.

i give the bills a C+ (which was originally a C- or D prior to hearing reports of how high other teams placed whitner and McCargo)

Its strange that the Ravens wanted Whitner, after all they have Ed Reed.

PatsSuck456 said:
Its strange that the Ravens wanted Whitner, after all they have Ed Reed.
i agree, but as some others have said, he could play other DB positions.

I really like what the Patriots did and I think Maroney will be a 1000 yd back this year and Chad Jackson in the 2nd rd was great value. I preferred Santonio Holmes at 16 to Jason Allen but then the Phins got Hagan who and I think both will contribute right away. The Bills had outside of probably the Bears one of the worst drafts, IMO. I think Broderick Bunkley was a better pick than Whitner at 8 and if they traded into the 1st rd Winston Justice was a better pick than McCargo. Ko Simpson and Ashton Youboty were good picks for them although I think they should've gone offensive line earlier in the draft. The Jets got two guys who are gonna start instantly on the offensive line and a Qb who I expect to be starting by mid-season.

heres how I would rank them

1. Jets
2. Patriots
3. Bills
4. Dolphins

1. Jets

2. Pats(drafting that noname kicker in the 4th almost made me put them under us)

3. Phins

4. Bills(they are the laughing stock of the draft by many places and they know it too)

Ace88 said:
1. Jets

2. Pats(drafting that noname kicker in the 4th almost made me put them under us)

3. Phins

4. Bills(they are the laughing stock of the draft by many places and they know it too)
the bills had a solid draft man, whitner could have gone 9, 11, or 13, and at the LATEST to the dolphins. and McCargo wouldnt have made it out of the first round because there was a huge drop off in talent after him. and then we stole youboty and simpson and even Williams. we got guys who will make big impacts on our team. but if mel kiper says they were reaches it must be true :up::up:

MillerTime said:
the bills had a solid draft man, whitner could have gone 9, 11, or 13, and at the LATEST to the dolphins. and McCargo wouldnt have made it out of the first round because there was a huge drop off in talent after him. and then we stole youboty and simpson and even Williams. we got guys who will make big impacts on our team. but if mel kiper says they were reaches it must be true :up::up:

You did get good players, but you got to admit they were reaches. Simpson and Youboty was some steals in the draft and you got damn lucky to get both of them. So now I must ask you this. Why the **** do you have us ranked last?

How the hell do you grade a draft where everyone is still a complete question mark.

The Bills reached big time in the draft, but they did pick up some very solid players. I wanted Donte Whitner to be drafted to the Dolphins, he is NOT a Top 10 prospect, but the Bills got him now. Then they draft another Safety in the third round who's stock dropped pretty low after being projected as a first round safety the past 2-3 months, Ko Simpson. They solved their defensive issues in this draft, but hasn't really put up anybody for JP Losman.

Patriots had a really good draft. They picked up their future running back, and grabbed Chad Jackson, who to me is the best WR in this draft, at the 2nd round. That's going to be a very explosive offense and after the draft was over I can already tell that the Patriots will become the AFC East division winners in 2006.

The jets had a really nice draft. Solved their offensive line issues by adding DBrickashaw Ferguson and one of my favorites, Nick Mangold. Plus they drafted Kellen Clemens in the 2nd.

This draft made me realize that many teams are starting to even up, but I still have Cincinatti as my Super Bowl pick in 2006.

MillerTime said:
heres how I would rank them

1. Jets
2. Patriots
3. Bills
4. Dolphins

hahah obviously you would put the bills over the dolphins, how could you even think the bills had a good draft or at that decent they took a huge reach in taking donte whitner no matter what you say he was projected to go around 24 and the bills had an opportunity to trade down but they decided not to and go for whitner....many of the draft grades ive seen have given the bills a staright up F

Crisis said:
How the hell do you grade a draft where everyone is still a complete question mark.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

miaD5499 said:
many of the draft grades ive seen have given the bills a staright up F
can you please post links to them :rolleyes:

I really dont think Whitner was a reach he could have gone to the lions, rams, or ravens, and definetly wouldnt have made it past the dolphins

MillerTime said:
can you please post links to them :rolleyes:

I really dont think Whitner was a reach he could have gone to the lions, rams, or ravens, and definetly wouldnt have made it past the dolphins

Who cares about reaching. If you guys valued him at that pick, then take him. We did the same thing last year with mankins, he played great for us, so who cares if we reached a bit... we got our guy as did Buffalo.

Back
Top Bottom