Great Article On Tanny | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Article On Tanny

Dont talk out of school, Awsi. I lived through that nightmare and it had nothing to do with Tannehill failure or weakness.

It was an indictment of Sherman's over-conservative nature after THill and co. staked a&m to big leads game after game. Ags lost 2 games in OT and 3 other games by 7 total pts. Their only other loss was to #7 OU on the road by 16. Thats basically 6 losses by 23pts.

Sherman would take the ball out of THills hands and go into a shell. the fanbase was driven nuts by Sherman. example punting on Arkansas 40 on 4th and 1 when a&m had them on ropes.

Tannehill put up 404 yards and 35 pts IN THE FIRST HALF against an Arky D that had only surrendered 1 TD in prior 4 games.

Enter Shermans game mgmnt. Ags scored 3pts in 2nd half. He would never go for the kill, and the D would collapse, and he was fired at the end of the season.

You have your opinion, and I just thought others might want some of the facts since you suggest this season was some sort of indictment of THill.

It wasnt, and Sherman knew EXACTLY who he wanted for QB in the next draft.

thanks.
Since you are wanting others to have facts perhaps these will shed some light on the situation who's being truthful:

Tannehill's 5th year senior season playing in the same system for 4 years at Texas A&M which was ranked #8 preseason and ended up out of the top 25 with a 7-6 record. He had the best OL in the country with 2 Tackles drafted as top 6 picks (Joekel #2, Matthews #6) and a Center that played for the Seahawks. He had an excellent group of WRs (Swope, Fuller, Nuwachukwu)

Tannehill was the 56th ranked QB in college that year out of 115 that qualified:
327 comp, 531 att, 61.6%, 3744 yards, 7.05 YPA, 29 TD, 15 int, 9 sacks, 133.2 QB rating...58 rush, 306 yards, 5.3 YPC, 4 TD

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t/collegeQuarterbackRating/year/2011/count/41

Tannehill 1st half of games:
178 comp, 278 att, 64%, 2186 yards, 7.86 YPA, 19 TD, 6 int, 5 sacks, 148.3 QB rating...29 rush, 187 yards, 6.4 YPC, 4 TD

Tannehill 2nd half of games:
149 comp, 253 att, 58.9%, 1558 yards, 6.16 YPA, 10 TD, 9 int, 4 sacks, 116.5 QB rating...29 rush, 119 yards, 4.1 YPC, 0 TD

Tannehill 2nd half QB rating would have placed him as the 93rd ranked QB in college football out of 115 who qualified, playing behind the best OL in country with an excellent group of WR, perhaps the QB surrounded by the best talent around him on offense that year and your argument is the problem was Sherman and had nothing to do with Tannehill.

278 attempts in 1st half of games and 253 attempts in 2nd half of games when they had a big lead in many of the games. Did Sherman not go for the kill or did his QB's play kill them?

Yep.

Wilson, in all his QB greatness, threw four picks precisely because of the kinds of things I'm talking about.

But because of the amazing talent around him and a fluky onside kick, they advanced. No business winning that game with that QB play. But people still throw up Wilson as some kind of proof that RT17 needs work in this or that area.

Should have been the Packers Super Bowl because of Wilson. As it was, it became the Patriots SB because of Wilson.

Wilson and his pre-set plays and then break it down into backyard scrum style... getting into big trouble if actually having to sit in pocket, make reads, and throw into small windows... exactly the kinds of things that you expect a classic QB to do, and the kinds of things at which RT17 is far better at. Wilson is one of the better read option QBs, no question. And I'd take him on my team, no question.

But picking out Wilson's best point, using that as a hammer to bash RT17 in one area... then picking out a different QB's high point (Luck, etc.), and using that to bash RT17 in another area... Wow.

Defintion of bias right there.

LD

LD

Easy there . Nobody is coming to take your Tannehill jersey away from you. Relax.

The bias lies with you and your posts wreak of envy.

I'm not bashing the guy, but it sounded like you were bashing Russell Wilson. To my knowledge I've never bashed Tannehill. All I've ever done is evaluate him - point out things that he needs to work on in order to take a step up in class. He does nothing remarkable (unlike Wilson) which is why it's more critical for him to improve on his weaknesses. He's taken a lot of bad sacks holding the football too long because he doesn't like coming off his first read. It's the pre snap recognition where he's always struggled the most.

Let me make something perfectly clear to all of you - I couldn't possibly care less if Ryan Tannehill is Miami's quarterback until he's 65 years old, it ain't no skin off me either way. If that's what you want then that's what you got. Be happy. You deserve it. For me, like Saturdays....Sundays are for watching college football my friend. I don't live and die with every play the Dolphins have like you do. I just call it like I see it. But admittedly, I don't see much. But I see enough.

I typically stay out of any Tannehill debates because you always tend to come out on the other side a worse person no matter which side you're on. But make no mistake, it's the Tannehill groupies on here that are the faction most out of control. They'll defend him like he's their mom. And when he's gone, the only people left will still be the one's they were attacking, because like the majority of the outside world, they just couldn't see how good he was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, he just going to be on the list of qb they show every Sunday. While we are still looking for a qb. He needs to be on a great team to advance in the playoffs. he is a step up from a game manager .

Adam- thanks for bringing facts to an argument. i just saw your post and I'll take a look and reply on this message later...

I don't think turning this into a discussion of Russell Wilson is a good way to discuss an article about Ryan Tannehill. I just thought that one particular play that was cited was a poor example.

On the subject of Ryan Tannehill and elusiveness, though, here's one that was pretty good:

I do think that the overwhelming issue with the Dolphins in terms of giving up sacks between 2011 and early 2016 has been the line and not the quarterbacks. No one will ever convince me that players like Marc Colombo, Tyson Clabo, Jonathan Martin, or Dallas Thomas or Billy Turner were anything short of explosive garbage fires.

When you hit the top of your drop and a rusher - not an unaccounted for rusher, but a guy that has pistol whipped your starting tackle - is launching himself directly into your chest, you're typically going to take a sack. Russell Wilson is pretty much one of a kind when it comes to being able to avoid that ****.

"pistol whipped your starting tackle"....I can't stop laughing at this! I can't even tell you how many times this statement has echoed in my head on Sunday afternoons!

Tanne hasn't played in over a year. We've been over his existing game tape so many times since then, I'm not sure there is anything new to see. People have already made up their minds about Tanne based on what we've seen so far. The only thing that might change minds now is what we see in the coming season.

good article..

but just reading some of the comments/posts...

Since you are wanting others to have facts perhaps these will shed some light on the situation who's being truthful:

Tannehill's 5th year senior season playing in the same system for 4 years at Texas A&M which was ranked #8 preseason and ended up out of the top 25 with a 7-6 record. He had the best OL in the country with 2 Tackles drafted as top 6 picks (Joekel #2, Matthews #6) and a Center that played for the Seahawks. He had an excellent group of WRs (Swope, Fuller, Nuwachukwu)

Tannehill was the 56th ranked QB in college that year out of 115 that qualified:
327 comp, 531 att, 61.6%, 3744 yards, 7.05 YPA, 29 TD, 15 int, 9 sacks, 133.2 QB rating...58 rush, 306 yards, 5.3 YPC, 4 TD

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t/collegeQuarterbackRating/year/2011/count/41

178 comp, 278 att, 64%, 2186 yards, 7.86 YPA, 19 TD, 6 int, 5 sacks, 148.3 QB rating...29 rush, 187 yards, 6.4 YPC, 4 TD

149 comp, 253 att, 58.9%, 1558 yards, 6.16 YPA, 10 TD, 9 int, 4 sacks, 116.5 QB rating...29 rush, 119 yards, 4.1 YPC, 0 TD

Tannehill 2nd half QB rating would have placed him as the 93rd ranked QB in college football out of 115 who qualified, playing behind the best OL in country with an excellent group of WR, perhaps the QB surrounded by the best talent around him on offense that year and your argument is the problem was Sherman and had nothing to do with Tannehill.

278 attempts in 1st half of games and 253 attempts in 2nd half of games when they had a big lead in many of the games. Did Sherman not go for the kill or did his QB's play kill them?

Unless its just a crazy horribly completion % or td:int ratio I wouldn't put a whole lot of thought into QB ratings in college. so many different offenses make it so easy to pad stats such as the air raid, heck even the spread. A college pro style offense you are going to see more reasonable numbers. I cant remember if it was J-off, Slim, or whoever (hell might've saw it on a different site) but said its a red flag if the qb's completion % is too high because it means its more than likely strictly at the LOS throws. so yeah if you want to go by rankings sure he was 56th that year but you can count how many qb's ahead of him are in the same league or better than him on one hand. hell zac dysert, brock o, and logan Thomas were all ranked higher than RT in the rankings, all been on the roster at the same time as him and I don't think anyone as much as you hate RT or like him would take any of those over him.

a couple things I liked from the article though...

the sarcasism in this ...The Steelers bring a four-man rush and the center gets overwhelmed and allows pressure through the A-gap. As Tannehill pump fakes, the center inadvertently buys Tannehill time by running into him and obscuring the 1-tech from sacking him. (it was on the pass where pounce got destroyed and pushed back into tannehill before he rolled out and hit Lee deep)

Landry to me, has never been a threat vertically, and while he gobbles up a lot of yards after the catch, many times he’s shown hesitation in space instead of going up gaps he’s granted, so his heavy production limited the Dolphins offense (one of the things that I mentioned ive enjoyed seeing on the bubble screens with the new wr's, they just catch it and go, no hesitation, if 3-4 yards are there, just take them, don't get 0 looking for 6

Last edited:

strong post! i overstated that it had "nothing" to do with Tannehill. But I did live through it every week (me and the entire rabid fan base at TexAgs- the largest online fanbase in country).

Tannehill didnt just forget hiw to be a QB in the 2nd half of games. Sherman's game mgmt was terrible in those 2nd halves and the defensive collapses were intolerable.

But youre right in that THill had a good line and really good receivers, and he failed to put the team on his back so to speak.

That (outward at least) lack of fire and failure to take more chances in chunking the ball is my biggest dissapointment. IMO Sherman overemphasized taking care of ball and avoiding turnovers (though i admit that sounds like something that cant be
overemphasized).

But the same script seemed to be followed week after week with no change and same results. it was maddening.

I like THill and think he's still under appreciated by many, but i dont think he's the greatest thing. Re his average ranking, that was about right for what he was in college and what he was asked to do.

I think the scouts fell in love with his measureables and his great upside. We should find out this year if it was justified. we have good offensive coaching i think, and a good enough line and receivers (i think!)

fins up!

While I am pro Tannehill and do see the truth in the article, it should be pointed out that writer seems to be writing a feel good story for the Tannehill supporters that helped get him his first big break.

As always read with an open and skeptical mind (especially if sounds like what you want to hear).

Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Easy there groupie. Nobody is coming to take your Tannehill jersey away from you. Relax.

I'm not bashing the guy, but it sounded like you were bashing Russell Wilson. To my knowledge I've never bashed Tannehill. All I've ever done is evaluate him - point out things that he needs to work on in order to take a step up in class. He does nothing remarkable (unlike Wilson) which is why it's more critical for him to improve on his weaknesses. He's taken a lot of bad sacks holding the football too long because he doesn't like coming off his first read. It's the pre snap recognition where he's always struggled the most.

Let me make something perfectly clear to all of you - I couldn't possibly care less if Ryan Tannehill is Miami's quarterback until he's 65 years old, it ain't no skin off me either way. If that's what you want then that's what you got. Be happy. You deserve it. For me, like Saturdays....Sundays are for watching college football my friend. I don't live and die with every play the Dolphins have like you do. I just call it like I see it. But admittedly, I don't see much. But I see enough.

I typically stay out of any Tannehill debates because you always tend to come out on the other side a worse person no matter which side you're on. But make no mistake, it's the Tannehill groupies on here that are the faction most out of control. They'll defend him like he's their mom. And when he's gone, the only people left will still be the one's they were attacking, because like the majority of the outside world, they just couldn't see how good he was.

I do sometimes wonder if some of the hardcore Tannehill fans would be shocked if we move on from him if we have another mediocre season this year. Personally I would hardly be shocked since this would be his 7th year here but the way people prop him up on here you'd think it be an incredible shock. I know the general NFL fan base would see it as a long time coming and most of us on here wouldn't be surprised so if all it takes is one more mediocre season to move on from him it kind of says a bit about his supposed ability. I like Tannehill as a human being but he's nothing more than average coming off year long injury. I guess all those years of mediocre QBs after Marino has made us desperate to take on anything that looks copper in the rough.

I do sometimes wonder if some of the hardcore Tannehill fans would be shocked if we move on from him if we have another mediocre season this year. Personally I would hardly be shocked since this would be his 7th year here but the way people prop him up on here you'd think it be an incredible shock. I know the general NFL fan base would see it as a long time coming and most of us on here wouldn't be surprised so if all it takes is one more mediocre season to move on from him it kind of says a bit about his supposed ability. I like Tannehill as a human being but he's nothing more than average coming off year long injury. I guess all those years of mediocre QBs after Marino has made us desperate to take on anything that looks copper in the rough.

I think most of his supporters here are like me- we believe he's a good QB who might even be great, but we dont truly know until he has a decent supporting coach and cast.

pretty much what every qb needs as NFL proves by the rising and falling of the same QBs over time.

I think he has decent coaching now, competent receivers, and (cross fingers) a decent OL.

If he steuggles this year, I have no problem with Fins moving on, and I doubt most of the THill fans feel different.

We all want to win!

the thing that perplexes me is that in 2016 those things (coaching and supporting cast) started coming together, and yet THills rise seems to have been fogotten or dismissed by a few hoping to be proved "right". we'll see...

Easy there . Nobody is coming to take your Tannehill jersey away from you. Relax.

I am bashing RW a bit, because if he were a real QB in more than just a couple areas, Seattle would have that SB that now belongs to the Patriots. So yes, I'm a bit biased in that area. But that bashing aside, I still like RW. I think he's got the stuff (if he really wants to) to develop his weaknesses to a certain degree. Some things you can't teach or learn re: arms and throwin ability, but apart from that, he's great.

And I apologize if I came off as too defensive of RT17 -- it's just how many people use the cherry-picked best parts of whatever QB to act as if Tannehill is the problem holding the Fins back. It's a myth. My legit point is this: if you, or anyone else, is going to use a characteristic from a single QB to trash on RT17, then you should be consistent and compare apples with apples. You went as far to include clips of RW -- so you'll have to excuse me for thinking that you were actually meaning something of a limited comparison trash point. RW's best characteristic against one that RT17 needs to work on.

Again, I meant no offense to you as a fellow Fin fan. Just trying to keep it real: apples to apples. And legit on how RT is condescended to, and trashed, either by shade or by worse. All that guy has done is take bullets for the team, unending years of terrible OL play, suspect coaching, terrible talent acquistion, and manning up under the dumpster fire every time.

How anyone -- you included -- can't include that inner strength and horrid context into a QB appreciation is beyond me.

How anyone can see how the man has laid it on the LINE for this team, to the point of cheap shot injury because the linen was trash... and still act as if they are all about the TEAM. Really?

Seems pretty hollow to me. Real Fans owe a world of appreciation to this vastly underappreciated, very talented QB called RT.

I appreciate your knowledge of the game, btw. And your player analysis, a lot. Just can't fathom the denigration and devaluing of a real Dolphin Warrior.

LD

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure too many quarterbacks would have put up good numbers behind the offensive line Ryan Tannehill has played with throughout his career. Agree with others, though, that avoiding the pass is one of Tannehill's weak spots. We saw some progression there in 2016, but he doesn't help an offensive line the way Dan Marino did. As the article pointed out, he doesn't compare with Marino. Few do.

The point of the article, and one I believe, is that with more talent Tannehill should be successful. I do like the speed at wide receiver. Was a big fan of Jarvis Landry, but I don't think the offense should have gone through him either. Speed gives Miami a chance for big plays which helps a qb's YAC.

Wow, that's a well researched piece right there. So do alllll those numbers mean that you think Ryan will be a failure this year?

Back
Top Bottom