Great Article On Tanny | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Article On Tanny

I am bashing RW a bit, because if he were a real QB in more than just a couple areas, Seattle would have that SB that now belongs to the Patriots.
Nothing personal, I would say this to anyone claiming Russell Wilson is at fault for the Patriots winning that Super Bowl. If that is what you honestly think then YOU CRAZY!

Wilson executed that play exactly as a QB should have. This wasn't a Wilson was at fault situation, this was a "all the credit goes to the Patriots" for making that play. From an assistant coach identifying the possibility of seeing the play, Belichick practicing just that week to make sure every DB knew how to play that, Browner making an in the moment switch knowing he could stop Kearse at LOS so Butler would have a clear path to Lockett and finally Butler going through Lockett and making spectacular catch this was the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history and perhaps the history of the NFL. Hightower on the play before was something else as well.

Sometimes just got to give credit where credit is due.

Wow, that's a well researched piece right there. So do alllll those numbers mean that you think Ryan will be a failure this year?
Depends on how you define failure and success.

Based on what I've seen preseason Tannehill will throw a lot of quick, short passes that allow him to have a high completion % and therefore a decent QB rating which in my opinion is a serious flaw in the QB rating formula that is used. Tannehill has looked really sharp throwing bubble screens and passes no more than 5 yards past the LOS. The one play I saw where he faced minimal pressure, stepped up and threw down the field 15 yards or so to Amendola was not accurate and almost intercepted. Small sample size, but what I've seen in the past is an issue for Tannehill other than the occasional play in which GIFs are made. So if Tannehill is forced to regularly make plays like that his QB rating will again be somewhere in the 20-25 range for QBs.

Also, based on previous years Miami won't score a lot of points offensively (21-22 ppg range) and is more likely to be closer to the bottom of list when compared to other teams than the top, will be boring again to watch this season (I was around for the Marino years and like a big play QB) and have a low conversion % on 3rd downs. Our FG may get a lot of action. I suspect Miami could end up with a record somewhere in the 6-10 to 9-7 range.

So if success is defined by QB rating and Tannehill plays throwing close to the LOS he will be successful. If success is based on getting the ball into the end zone, scoring 25ppg or more and leading the team to the playoffs then chances are he will fall more on the failure side.

I've been a fan a long time and was around when Miami only had "two" losing seasons in 34 seasons. At that point they were the winningest (I know that's word even if the red squiggly tells me it's not, or at least it should be!) franchise in a all of the major sports.

Not that Miami has only two winning seasons in the last 14 years I don't care if the QBs last Name is Tannehill, Smith or Johnson I just want to see quality play and a team that makes winning and getting to the playoffs again a habit rather than a rarity. Oh, and a couple of Super Bowl championships would be nice!!

Nothing personal, I would say this to anyone claiming Russell Wilson is at fault for the Patriots winning that Super Bowl. If that is what you honestly think then YOU CRAZY!

Wilson executed that play exactly as a QB should have. This wasn't a Wilson was at fault situation, this was a "all the credit goes to the Patriots" for making that play. From an assistant coach identifying the possibility of seeing the play, Belichick practicing just that week to make sure every DB knew how to play that, Browner making an in the moment switch knowing he could stop Kearse at LOS so Butler would have a clear path to Lockett and finally Butler going through Lockett and making spectacular catch this was the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history and perhaps the history of the NFL. Hightower on the play before was something else as well.

It was a set play and a pet play.

Period.

RW made up his mind before the snap that that was where the ball was going. Never came off that play.

How was Belichick able to practice so much for it? Pet play. Set play. Made for a QB who doesn't read well or throw well into tight windows.

In fact, dig into the back story of how that particular play got chosen, and you'll start tugging on the thread that began unraveling the team.

Set play. Pet play. Called for a glory hound.

And Seattle's been reaping that one.

RW is a great QB in some ways, and not so great in others. In other words, he's human. Thank goodness for great talent and a great D. He now has a ring and a rep. Should be two, though.

LD

A point here for some posters and for the mods:

Why is it that some posters have to get ugly, mean, and spiteful in their comments, turning a football thread into attacks on another poster?

I've never attacked the PERSON of another poster, and kept the topics football themed.

But in this thread alone, I've been called a "groupie," told that my "posts *wreaked* (sic) with envy," and been mocked for a "menstrual cycle." Now apart from that being slightly funny, it's still an ad hominem take.

I understand that people are on edge, wanting a decent Miami Dolphin team for like the first time in a decade, but I just don't get the venom spewed toward the fellow fans.

I hope people are better than this.

LD

Period.

RW made up his mind before the snap that that was where the ball was going. Never came off that play.

How was Belichick able to practice so much for it? Pet play. Set play. Made for a QB who doesn't read well or throw well into tight windows.

In fact, dig into the back story of how that particular play got chosen, and you'll start tugging on the thread that began unraveling the team.

RW is a great QB in some ways, and not so great in others. In other words, he's human. Thank goodness for great talent and a great D. He now has a ring and a rep. Should be two, though.

LD

Tannehill would have seen the perfect defense coming and thrown it away.

A point here for some posters and for the mods:

Why is it that some posters have to get ugly, mean, and spiteful in their comments, turning a football thread into attacks on another poster?

I've never attacked the PERSON of another poster, and kept the topics football themed.

But in this thread alone, I've been called a "groupie," told that my "posts *wreaked* (sic) with envy," and been mocked for a "menstrual cycle." Now apart from that being slightly funny, it's still an ad hominem take.

I understand that people are on edge, wanting a decent Miami Dolphin team for like the first time in a decade, but I just don't get the venom spewed toward the fellow fans.

I hope people are better than this.

LD

Aren't you the guy that used to say if you couldn't see how amazing Tannehill was you had low football IQ?

A lot of people are licking their chops, hoping for Tannehill to fail. These people are going to see a better Tannehill than ever before. It may require 4 or 5 games before we're really clicking but RT and Gase are both in store for great years.

Period.

LD
That's what I like about Finheaven. I liked both posts because football discussion. On a football message board.

Based on what I've seen preseason Tannehill will throw a lot of quick, short passes
I am myself not a fan of how the team has played in the preseason so far. I think nobody is. But you do know that our offense will be much more than that once the regular season starts.

A lot of people are licking their chops, hoping for Tannehill to fail. These people are going to see a better Tannehill than ever before. It may require 4 or 5 games before we're really clicking but RT and Gase are both in store for great years.

my thoughts exactly. There's almost zero reason to expect we are going to be worse than we were when THill went diwn on that December day.

I have no worries about the O.

I really liked that article.
I'm hoping the author is right and Tannehill can come back strong from his injury plus gels well with the new receivers. Most importantly, I hope the new Offensive Line is dominant and can pass + run block the **** out of the other teams.

Since you are wanting others to have facts perhaps these will shed some light on the situation who's being truthful:

Tannehill's 5th year senior season playing in the same system for 4 years at Texas A&M which was ranked #8 preseason and ended up out of the top 25 with a 7-6 record. He had the best OL in the country with 2 Tackles drafted as top 6 picks (Joekel #2, Matthews #6) and a Center that played for the Seahawks. He had an excellent group of WRs (Swope, Fuller, Nuwachukwu)

Tannehill was the 56th ranked QB in college that year out of 115 that qualified:
327 comp, 531 att, 61.6%, 3744 yards, 7.05 YPA, 29 TD, 15 int, 9 sacks, 133.2 QB rating...58 rush, 306 yards, 5.3 YPC, 4 TD

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t/collegeQuarterbackRating/year/2011/count/41

Tannehill 1st half of games:
178 comp, 278 att, 64%, 2186 yards, 7.86 YPA, 19 TD, 6 int, 5 sacks, 148.3 QB rating...29 rush, 187 yards, 6.4 YPC, 4 TD

Tannehill 2nd half of games:
149 comp, 253 att, 58.9%, 1558 yards, 6.16 YPA, 10 TD, 9 int, 4 sacks, 116.5 QB rating...29 rush, 119 yards, 4.1 YPC, 0 TD

Tannehill 2nd half QB rating would have placed him as the 93rd ranked QB in college football out of 115 who qualified, playing behind the best OL in country with an excellent group of WR, perhaps the QB surrounded by the best talent around him on offense that year and your argument is the problem was Sherman and had nothing to do with Tannehill.

278 attempts in 1st half of games and 253 attempts in 2nd half of games when they had a big lead in many of the games. Did Sherman not go for the kill or did his QB's play kill them?

Oh, those facts can be SO much fun. They're great to selectively sort through to make a point. (That's not sarcasm....I'm completely serious.)

Let's look at those rankings, shall we?

You know who I show as ranked two spots below Tannehill? Teddy Bridgewater, the guy who you have suggested on multiple occasions that you'd prefer as the QB for the Dolphins. I'm assuming you went looking for this list AFTER you suggested that. You know who is one spot above? Tommy Rees, from Notre Dame. Tommy had a decent career as a Redskin. For seven days. He's currently employed by Notre Dame...as a QB coach. Number Ten on the list? Bryn Renner. Bryn is currently a recruiter for FIU. Number Six? T.O. Owens. I tried Googling him, and it came up with a bunch of results for...Terrell Owens. I dug a little more, and found out that he's Terrance Owens. He has a Wikipedia Page. It's in French, and hasn't been updated since 2013.

I'm not picking on these people; I'm sure they're good folks who work hard. But pointing out that Tannehill was 56th on this list, then paring it down farther to make your point is just nothing short of agenda-driven, particularly in this thread. Do I agree that Tannehill is a better QB than Wilson? Of course not. But there's a reason he was drafted where he was. It's not like the Fins threw numbers into a hat, shook them up and came out with 56, and then someone freaked out because they didn't draft Tyler Tettleton, who was ranked 24 spots higher on this magical list. Oh...and Tyler is the son of Mickey Tettleton, who was a mainstay on my fantasy baseball teams in the mid 90s (who knew?). He currently works for the Jets in their administration offices. He has 508 followers on Twitter.

I typically stay out of any Tannehill debates because you always tend to come out on the other side a worse person no matter which side you're on. But make no mistake, it's the Tannehill groupies on here that are the faction most out of control.

I respect and enjoy your college rankings.

But your second sentence here is seriously undermined by your first. If you truly believe that, god speed, and good luck. But it just ain't so. I'd suggest that the Tannehaters are far more out of control. They're a smaller group, but boy are they loud. I've seen it presented that Tannehill has had eight seasons as a starting QB, when he's actually played fewer than five.

Back
Top Bottom