Great catches | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great catches

Whitedolphin54 said:
Ah that explains it--yes I would agree with that--but not the best--that would be Clayton.........wouldn't it :)

I would still pick Warfield.Remember that when he played the game was more of a power game so he didnt have the numbers but he was so fluid and gifted.Thats why I called him a natural.

I cant remember the game (maybe someone will help out) but Clayton was flying towards the endzone dove and turned towards the ball (his back towards the ground) the defender landed on him and they were sliding towards the corner and Clayton reaches up with his right hand (his only free one) and one hands it on his back with a defender on him for a TD! I dont remember the game or even if we won but I do remember that spectacular catch.

zeke0123 said:
I cant remember the game (maybe someone will help out) but Clayton was flying towards the endzone dove and turned towards the ball (his back towards the ground) the defender landed on him and they were sliding towards the corner and Clayton reaches up with his right hand (his only free one) and one hands it on his back with a defender on him for a TD! I dont remember the game or even if we won but I do remember that spectacular catch.

That was this game.
11/24/91 -- Dolphins 16,at Bears 13 (OT) (Clayton's miraculous catch)

I tend to think it was more luck than skill.He was on the ground and the ball fell into his hands.Thats why they call it the "Miracle" catch.

CrunchTime said:
That was this game.
11/24/91 -- Dolphins 16,at Bears 13 (OT) (Clayton's miraculous catch)

I tend to think it was more luck than skill.He was on the ground and the ball fell into his hands.Thats why they call it the "Miracle" catch.

CrunchTime said:
I meant top 5 all-time Dolphin receiver.

You can go far beyond that. In fact, I agree with the way your original post read -- one of the top 5 period.

Warfield may have been the most fluid and graceful football player of all time. My dad is 71 and he says point blank Warfield was the most effortless looking athlete he has seen in any sport. He is easily the best WR in franchise history, IMO, with Clayton second.

I cringe all the time when younger posters nonchalantly place lesser players above him or other oldtime Dolphin stars, but really that's understandable. I'm sure in the '70s and '80s I neglected or understated players from the '50s who I never saw.

As you implied in another post in this thread, on a different style team or in this era Warfield would have put up much glossier numbers, certifying his superstar ability.

that play sticks out in my mind the clayton miracle catch. its something that stuck in my mind. all i remember is pacing the stairs as a young kid watching the game, and going crazy when clayton made that grab

cltchperf said:
Did O.j Mcduffie ever make a great catch?

He made several spectacular clutch catches including a one hand grab in the final minutes of the playoff game against the Colts where after three Fiedler Int we came back and beat them 23-17 in overtime.That was the game Lamar Smith rushed for 209 yrds.

How about Tight End, Keith Jackson. I was young when I watched these guys so I can't really remember too well.

cltchperf said:
How about Tight End, Keith Jackson. I was young when I watched these guys so I can't really remember too well.

Yes he had a couple of clutch catches too.I cant remember the games.

FinaticPatch said:
Chris Carter back endzone one hander. He did squat for us but that was a sick catch.

That was the 2002 Game against the Raiders I believe.

I remember Irving Fryar making a spectacular leaping, spinning catch on a 4th down play form Marino. After he made the catch, Marino started pointing to the sidelines (Shula) as if to say "I told you he would make the play." That was an awesome catch. I can't remebmer who it was against though.

I also remember Keith Byars making a great catch from Steve DeBerg in the Dallas Thanksgiving day game in the snow on a 4th down play. After the catch Byars ran accross the middle and down the sideline for the first. It was a great play.

Back
Top Bottom