Great Defensive Effort by the Reinvented Starting Lineup | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Defensive Effort by the Reinvented Starting Lineup

jimlerario

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins defense assembled in Miami is shaping into one of the best groups in years.

Howard-Allen (McDonald)-Reshad Jones-Tankersley

Timmons-Maualuga-Kiko Alonso

Branch (Harris)-Godchaux-Ndamukong Suh-Wake (Hayes)

The four man rotation on the edges has be efficient, with Harris kicking inside on some snaps. Branch was even seen dropping into zone, then breaking for the quarterback.

Timmons was all over and Kiko Alonso provided a consistent presence for all four quarters. Big Rey did a nice job clogging up the holes, as well.

Much can be said for Reshad Jones, and Miami needs him showing up each week. Howard played nicely and nothing poorly was heard or seen from Tankersly, Burke's new lockdown man corner.

Big challenge up next against the Falcons. Fans shall see if Gase can capitalize with Cutler and company. Luckily the defense seems capable of withstanding a 16 game season.

Last edited:
About the only thing I found encouraging in today's game was the play of the defense.

Phillips hasn't played in two weeks and the defense hasn't missed him...he's pretty much playing out his rookie contract. I'd have a hard time seeing the Dolphins re-signing him. Maxwell is a goner too. Would be nice to find another safety to get rid of Allen (as a backup to McDonald). Lippett's return next year should give us good depth on the boundary but another slot CB would be really good. Continued development of the rookies and maybe another DE and DT. I'd also be all for drafting Micah Kiser from Virginia to play MLB.

The linebackers look much better this year than last year.

The corners played better this game. I didn't notice Maxwell this game.

I'm curious how many plays he was in there.

The rookie DE looked good.

The Guards still blow. Cutler had a horrible first quarter pass but other than that he didn't make many bad plays.

The guards are really playing badly.

The WRs aren't pulling their weight as well.

The play calling wasn't so good either. I hope they make some progress.

The Dolphins are now 2-2, not by any stretch of the imagination out of it.

Granted, it was against a backup QB, BUT this defensive unit looked much better. If this was week 1, we would have given up at least 20.

• Tank, though still learning, is playing solid enough that we aren't worried every snap like we were with the freelancing Maxwell.
  • Alonzo played out of his mind the first half.
  • Great to see the rookie DE get his first sack. He looks to be figuring things out.
  • Timmons, and even Maualuga, played solid. The LB corp looks much more stout than they did earlier in the season.
  • Jones looks to be finally knocking the rust off.
...all very encouraging things.

The linebackers look much better this year than last year.

The corners played better this game. I didn't notice Maxwell this game.

I'm curious how many plays he was in there.

The rookie DE looked good.

The Guards still blow. Cutler had a horrible first quarter pass but other than that he didn't make many bad plays.

The guards are really playing badly.

The WRs aren't pulling their weight as well.

The play calling wasn't so good either. I hope they make some progress.

The Dolphins are now 2-2, not by any stretch of the imagination out of it.
Maxwell was inactive.

Phillips hasn't played in two weeks and the defense hasn't missed him...he's pretty much playing out his rookie contract. I'd have a hard time seeing the Dolphins re-signing him. Maxwell is a goner too. Would be nice to find another safety to get rid of Allen (as a backup to McDonald). Lippett's return next year should give us good depth on the boundary but another slot CB would be really good. Continued development of the rookies and maybe another DE and DT. I'd also be all for drafting Micah Kiser from Virginia to play MLB.

Maxwell, Phillips ( smh rookies playing better ) McCain ( how is he still on this team, always gets burned at key moments), no hips pouncey( he's done!) should all be cut next offseason.

titans 2 for 13 on 3rd down and only 69 yards rushing , I believe that puts us in top5 in both categories

All good points, and Kiser will be a good reliable LB. But, IMHO, that's McMillan's spot next year and any LB we draft will be for Timmons' spot or coverage.

We lose by 2+ TDs if Mariota plays. Sad but true. The only reason we were in the game was because of the defense, but a healthy Mariota makes way more plays than Matt Cassel.

We lose by 2+ TDs if Mariota plays. Sad but true. The only reason we were in the game was because of the defense, but a healthy Mariota makes way more plays than Matt Cassel.
True, but to be fair, we also win by 2+ TDs (at the very least) if Tannehill plays.

The reason why the NFL is such a dumpster fire this year is because of all of the injuries happening all across the board. And as we've seen with our situation, the Raiders, and now the Titans...losing a starting QB is the worst scenario for any team.

About the only thing I found encouraging in today's game was the play of the defense.

Well, the defense is more or less half of the game, so that's no small thing to be encouraged by 50% of our team.

But I know exactly what you mean. The O is stultifyingly, hyperdepressingly, embarrassingly inept.

Back
Top Bottom