Great perspective from Eisen and Rapaport on why the MD might trade #6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great perspective from Eisen and Rapaport on why the MD might trade #6

I agree with both takes on Miami's position on a potential trade out. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the potential to use all the future draft capital in a trade up to secure a player they really like. In that case, having more picks in 2022 and 2023, can help facilitate that option, in those particular draft years. Having additional 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023 on top of what Miami has already, would put the franchise in a position no NFL team has been fortunate to be in.

Miami already controls their own destiny, but by securing additional future draft picks, by trading out of #6 could put the franchise in position to sustain even longer term success. Then what's already expected in Miami.

At 6 we will either have Chase or Pitts available or in unlikely event both are off the board we then are very much a trade down candidate with one of the QB hungry teams eyeing Lance/Jones/Fields. Think that was the beauty of this draft spot for Grier.

If quarterbacks go 1-2-3-4, and Cincy takes Sewell, Miami could trade down to #9 and be guaranteed one of the top wide receivers.

Then again, maybe it's just me, but will a team trade up for quarterback #5? I think that is probably Jones. I know strange things happen with desperate teams, especially at the quarterback position.

I agree with both takes on Miami's position on a potential trade out. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the potential to use all the future draft capital in a trade up to secure a player they really like. In that case, having more picks in 2022 and 2023, can help facilitate that option, in those particular draft years. Having additional 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023 on top of what Miami has already, would put the franchise in a position no NFL team has been fortunate to be in.

Miami already controls their own destiny, but by securing additional future draft picks, by trading out of #6 could put the franchise in position to sustain even longer term success. Then what's already expected in Miami.
Having good players is the only way we'll have Any success, present or future.
The 2020 Dolphins did not have enough good players and we need more good players, not draft picks.
I dont wanna pile of JAGs
We need guys that Win Matchups on the field. Not 'average'. SPECIAL.

Im sick of hearing about 'more draft picks' i wanna SEE Great Players winning football games!
Grier has Never seemed to understand this.

At 6 we will either have Chase or Pitts available or in unlikely event both are off the board we then are very much a trade down candidate with one of the QB hungry teams eyeing Lance/Jones/Fields. Think that was the beauty of this draft spot for Grier.
If Chase or Pitts is sitting there at 6th and they do trade down, they better pillage whatever team they pull the trigger with, giving up that type of playmaker for a move back won't be received well if Miami passes on potential all-pro.

The 2020 Dolphins did not have enough good players and we need more good players, not draft picks.

Im sick of hearing about 'more draft picks' i wanna SEE Great Players winning football games!

I can absolutely understand where this comes from. Id agree but frankly I think if we make 2 picks in the first this year and 2 next year... it's hard to bash Grier. All hes done is supply us with talent upon talent.

If I see us make a trade down from 6th when a special guy like Pitts is on the board just to go to 9 and take "Whoever falls", I'll agree that Grier's outta control with his love of picks... because theres no way that all 4 of them have great careers and youve gotta pick your lottery ticket. But it's really, really hard to fault the guy for just landing pick after pick while low value in terms of prospects.

Last edited:

I agree with you in the since that we need special players and not just guys to fill the position but I feel different about not trying to acquire more pics. You can't be close minded and say I want a great player only with no trade downs. Who says we can't trade down a couple spots and get some more draft pics and still draft a special player in that spot? The extra pic that you just got could also be a special player. Would you rather draft 1 or 2 special players? I'm not saying pass on someone that you know is special just to accumulate more pics. The situation has to be right.

I'm all for staying and picking Pitts if he is there but if he is not and the opportunity to trade down comes and it benefits the Dolphins and we can still get one of the guys we want, I am all in on that too. Let's be open to what ever presents itself to us and let the leaders make the best decision for the team then.

I can absolutely understand where this comes from. Id agree but frankly I think if we make 2 picks in the first this year and 2 next year... it's hard to bash Grier. All hes done is supply us with talent upon talent.

If I see us make a trade down from 6th when a special guy like Pitts is on the board just to go to 9 and take "Whoever falls", I'll agree. Because theres no way that all 4 of them have great careers and youve gotta pick your lottery ticket.
I wholeheartedly agree. If the guy they covert is there at #6 take him. But if he's not trade down to add to an already deep trove of picks.

If I see us make a trade down from 6th when a special guy like Pitts is on the board just to go to 9 and take "Whoever falls", I'll agree. Because theres no way that all 4 of them have great careers and youve gotta pick your lottery ticket.
We can bash Grier if he drafts more JAGs. A lot of starters in the NFL are JAGs, too. There's 32 teams. Every team has 22 guys 'starting' each weak. Not many of them make a profound difference between winning and losing.

We need difference-makers, not 'more picks' to stockpile JAGs.

We can bash Grier if he drafts more JAGs. A lot of starters in the NFL are JAGs, too. There's 32 teams. Every team has 22 guys 'starting' each weak. Not many of them make a profound difference between winning and losing.

We need difference-makers, not 'more picks' to stockpile JAGs.
i dont even know where to start with this can someone make the flush sound

Back
Top Bottom