Great read on Ireland. Face it Philbin is a bust. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great read on Ireland. Face it Philbin is a bust.

jeff ireland will be fired and never GM in the nfl again. he's that good.

Can people PLEASE stop justifying Jeff Ireland's policy about not talking to the press during the season. He had no problem speaking to the media after we won the division in 2008.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/print?id=1081

My favorite line from the article: "I asked Ireland if he'd be willing to grant a rare interview. He gladly moseyed over to talk about the team he helped build."

Who in the hell calls their own musings a "great read?" What a clown.

I noticed the Matt Flynn situation was referenced, but not Kyle Orton.

I read the entire piece. I appreciate efforts like that. I look for specific aspects as a tip off. In this case, one was Reshad Jones. Every Ireland apologist here overstates Reshad Jones but until this work I hadn't seen Jones described as, "amazing."

Twice I had to revisit the top of the page, to make sure this was a new thread, not one that was sarcastically bumped from months or years earlier. If our personnel were so grand I wouldn't have the opportunity to bet over or under 6.5 wins, let alone think I'm an underdog despite a 3-0 start.

I truly think that the salary cap handling has been excellent work by Ireland. also the signings of keller, Gibson, Grimes, Wallace and Ellerbe. I absolutely agree that the loses our team have right now are not Irelands Fault. Ireland didn't call for a five step drop on that last play against buffalo with Mario Williams one on one with clabo. Ireland is not responsible for the constant bad calls by the officials specially VS NE and Baltimore. I agree 90% with the poster. most of the games have been lost by less than 4 points with horrid officiating against us and very suspect calls by Sherman. Ireland did a fine job in the offseason.

Article was formatted for the web (where I read it) much better. Should have taken a few minutes to clean it up.

I agree with most of the items in the post. Flame away, but it seems it was about 5 losses ago where people started to think that maybe Ireland was on the right track after all. I'll try to sum up the good & bad:

Good:
- didn't sign some expensive free agents that didn't pan out for other teams (Orton, Flynn)
- did manage to obtain some very highly desirable free agents (Wallace, Ellerby)
- according to the story, managed to jump & get Dion Jordan for great trade value
- many of the draft picks, including lower rounds are showing promise
- fixed cap situation (might have been Dawn)
- didn't pick Philbin

Bad:
- Horrible people skills (Martin, Dez Bryant)
- didn't address O-Line
- way, way overpaid for Wallace (Dawn's fault?)

Not his fault:
- D-Line playing far far beneath their skill
- key injuries (Keller, Gibson, Patterson's groin)
- qb not developing as fast as we'd like
- this whole go-go thing

Who's more responsible for the way the season is going? Philbin.

Would I mind if they both got canned? Not so much. My biggest problem would be the 2-4 years to start over again. Given a choice, I'd rather Philbin got canned then Ireland at this point. Flame away.
This. good sum up.

Horrible article. I mean really when was Ellerbee the biggest defensive free agent out there. Then to act like he had nothing to do with the groceries we bought before PArcells left is beyond ignorant.

Didnt address Oline really, he has addressed the oline from day one its just the idiotic choices he made to address it.
Also peope seem to overestimate the power Aponte has. Everyone knew that Wallace wanted more than 10 mill a year so how is that Aponte's fault she did not fal in love with him

a draft class is best evaluated after 2-3 yrs. Its foolish for many of you to draw conclusions on this 2013 draft class halfway through their rookie seasons.

How am I drawing conclusions? Sure, they may end up being good, and I think Jordan and Taylor have great potential. Doesn't change the FACT that they were drafted injured and contribute minimally and not at all, respectively. Now, Taylor, fine. From what I understand, he was a 1st round talent that fell because of the injury, so we got a deal at that point. Jordan is another matter. Again, let me reiterate that I think he will be a good player eventually, but 3rd overall picks that you trade up for should be contributing immediately. That doesn't mean they are done developing, it just means that their baseline and their ceiling are much higher than those drafted in later rounds. If Jordan wasn't able to contribute immediately, he wasn't worth the 3rd overall pick.

Horrible article. I mean really when was Ellerbee the biggest defensive free agent out there. Then to act like he had nothing to do with the groceries we bought before PArcells left is beyond ignorant.

Didnt address Oline really, he has addressed the oline from day one its just the idiotic choices he made to address it.
Also peope seem to overestimate the power Aponte has. Everyone knew that Wallace wanted more than 10 mill a year so how is that Aponte's fault she did not fal in love with him
Exactly. He's addressed the o-line EVERY year he's been here, and this is what we have: a quitter, an *******/dirty player, an alleged gun runner, fatty mcfat, and playdo. Oh, and zero depth. McKinnie was the only good move and he's only got, what, a few more games left in him?

Let's just say it.

Ireland doesn't get football. Some people can watch a guy and envision how his game will translate from college to pro or from one team to another. Ireland has none of that.

Going into this draft we had 10 or 11 picks. I think b/c of the trading around we ended up with only 8 or so. All that firepower squandered. I do like Sturgis and I think Dion Jordan was good but everything else looks pretty bad right now. By the way, Sturgis has only really blown 1 field goal he absolutely should have made. The rest I blame on the play calling where we could not hold the line of scrimmage (or better yet pick up a few more yards via the run) and we left him with too many 50+ers. Back to Ireland - I think the biggest mistake he made this year was getting rid of all our true leaders (Bush, Long, Dansby) and getting right of the thump-ability at the Linebacker position. For that, I think he deserves to be fired.

The responses were hilarious to this post!

But I do want to give my input on three (3) points in that long diatribe:

1. He’ll let players walk if they want a higher dollar amount than they are worth (i.e. Reggie Bush and Jake Long).
  2. Without Wallace on the field occupying one corner, with safety help over the top, the other Miami receivers aren’t as effective.
  3. 2011: Daniel Thomas has contended for time in the Dolphins backfield rotation. Clyde Gates has been a contributor for the Jets. Charles Clay was a steal in round six.

Number one, letting players walk doesn't automatically equal schrewd. You don't win by subtraction. Any coach and GM in the NFL will tell you that one of the keys to success is retaining players ON YOUR ROSTER ALREADY, who are making you successful. Not only does that retain talent, but brings consistency, with the same players playing together, and providing leadership in the lockeroom and an ownership mentality of the players.

Number two, I don't buy the Wallace-as-decoy argument. That's not our scheme, and it's also not what most teams can actually afford to do. It's a luxury to have a guy be decoy most of the time and toss him the ball once in a while. For one thing, it becomes less effective with time, as you won't draw that safety all the time, and it also means you have no primary receiver.

Number three, if your argument FOR Ireland in the 2011 draft, is Daniel Thomas, Clyde Gates, and Charles Clay....then,...well...I can't help you. And btw, saying that someone is a starter on our team doesn't mean he's great, it means that's all we have.

In conclusion, I won't disagree with you that the coaches have failed, so far, to bring success to the team and utilize the talent on the roster, because I do agree. But it doesn't mean Ireland is a great GM, either. He's been here longer than Philbin, he's the consistent piece of the puzzle, when Parcells left, and Sparano left. He has to own up to it.

I understand the frustration, but your post is mostly hyperbole.
It is? I think your response is. MULTIPLE players have said he is shaddy, not just me. His record as a GM and involvement with this team has in fact sucked. For the most part, the players he has drafted are below par, or have issues that could prevent them from playing....once again that sucks! This isn't a results oriented league? Did he adequately address a known problem in the o-line? Did he not move up to the 3rd spot to draft a guy who barely plays? Is it not an f-ing joke to conclude that just from this alone (tip of the iceberg) that the blame is not solely on the head coach, and he is not a great GM? Maybe I should have used a fancy word like hyperbole instead of suck? Hmmmmmmm :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom