Greatest BBall player EVER | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest BBall player EVER

I agree that modern day ball its hands down Jordan, but this is one of those questions that is too hard to answer because of the games many changes and evolutions...It would be more fair to compare best player by era...

bullseyeguy said:
I agree that modern day ball its hands down Jordan, but this is one of those questions that is too hard to answer because of the games many changes and evolutions...It would be more fair to compare best player by era...
No its not really a question. Taller more athletic players will have an affect all around. They affect shooting %, they affect the way you shoot the ball (form), they affect where you shoot from and how aggressive you are in challenging the hoop. There's a reason shot blocking is at an all time high while FG % isnt nearly as high as it was once.

In addition, you factor in the fact that so few taller players were available then and people wonder why Bill Russell was so effective against Wilt? It's because he was the only other player in the league at that time over 6'9".

What makes West impressive that in era of guards he dominated without great speed. He dominated by outsmarting everyone else in ways that helped to create the modern NBA. But with the higher level of competition the way it is and defenses being more aggressive in attacking shooters and guarding the perimeter it creates an area of doubt that West or anyone else could have carried the same stats over in to this era. West certainly would have been good, but great? Probably no more so than Reggie Miller which certainly isnt bad but hardly in a discussion for the greatest player.

Jordan's only real competition comes from Hakeem, Bird, Magic and Shaq.

Boik, those are some great posts. An much of why i believe Jordan was the greatest, and its not close. The era he dominted. plain and simple

Thanks Boik!

thanks for the compliments C2C and Nappy

Wilt Chamberlin. Hands down. In fact, I consider him the best PRO athlete ever. If you want reasons why, just read a biography on the man sometime. No, I am not even tlaking about the women. :lol:

Boik, I like you, and you are very knowledgeable which is a breath of fresh air around here sometimes....I think if you are combining all eras, Jordan is definitely the best of all time...If you are combining all eras, then it all but eliminates everyone who came before him, which could considered an injustice...
WHat about the best player before the MJ era?

bullseyeguy said:
Boik, I like you, and you are very knowledgeable which is a breath of fresh air around here sometimes....I think if you are combining all eras, Jordan is definitely the best of all time...If you are combining all eras, then it all but eliminates everyone who came before him, which could considered an injustice...
What about the best player before the MJ era?
First off, thanks bro.

I think you raise a valid point when you say "then it all but eliminates everyone who came before him, which could considered an injustice...". My answer to that is simple. While it may seem unfair to eliminate a player because of the era he played in or level of competition there comes a time when all players get eliminated from that discussion for the same reason. At one point the major league home run record was 9 and anyone who hit more then 3-4 was a clean-up hitter. Of course it was back in the 1910's. Then Babe Ruth came along and for a long time after there was no discussion. Thats kind of how it is with MJ. At the points in which Jordan and Ruth came along in their sports, each game was roughly 40-50 years in to having an established league (though in baseball you have to go back before the creation of MLB). So the natural evolution seems to be with any sport that a time comes when a player and/or a concept (such as a west coast offense) makes such an impact on how the game is played, how the game is marketed, and how teams come up with ways to stop said player or concept. And when that happens in the era that without question had the highest level of competition, well it doesnt leave much room to argue.

Im sure a time will come when someone will make Jordan a distant memory and hopefully we'll be alive to see it but right now there is MJ and then everyone else is 3-4 rungs down the ladder.

Samphin said:
Wilt Chamberlain. Hands down. In fact, I consider him the best PRO athlete ever. If you want reasons why, just read a biography on the man sometime. No, I am not even tlaking about the women. :lol:

gretzky best pro athlete ever....look at his numbers..i doubt anyone ever sniffs them

Slappy8800 said:
gretzky best pro athlete ever....look at his numbers..i doubt anyone ever sniffs them

I agree 163 assists in one season...player would dream to even have 100 assists in a season let alone that number. Gretzky was a machine but this isnt a hockey thread so lets just leave him out of this.

What west did was just simply amazing the guy was 6''2 185 lbs, in the era he played in basketball was certainly played different. But just watch tape of what the guy did he was amazing, He was everywhere doing everything...He would get high numbers on every statistic possible...I remember one of his games he had 45 points, 12 assists, 12 rebounds, 12 blocks and went 12/12 from the freethrow line. Not to mention hes the greatest shooter in the history of the NBA...Nicknamed Mr. Clutch :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jordan will always be second on my list

Boik14 said:
No its not really a question. Taller more athletic players will have an affect all around. They affect shooting %, they affect the way you shoot the ball (form), they affect where you shoot from and how aggressive you are in challenging the hoop. There's a reason shot blocking is at an all time high while FG % isnt nearly as high as it was once.

In addition, you factor in the fact that so few taller players were available then and people wonder why Bill Russell was so effective against Wilt? It's because he was the only other player in the league at that time over 6'9".

What makes West impressive that in era of guards he dominated without great speed. He dominated by outsmarting everyone else in ways that helped to create the modern NBA. But with the higher level of competition the way it is and defenses being more aggressive in attacking shooters and guarding the perimeter it creates an area of doubt that West or anyone else could have carried the same stats over in to this era. West certainly would have been good, but great? Probably no more so than Reggie Miller which certainly isnt bad but hardly in a discussion for the greatest player.

Jordan's only real competition comes from Hakeem, Bird, Magic and Shaq.

were not talking about the greatest player in another era...were talking about the greatest player man. Note not the greatest scorer or I would of said Wilt...greatest player that did everything was west

Buddwalk said:
were not talking about the greatest player in another era...were talking about the greatest player man. Note not the greatest scorer or I would of said Wilt...greatest player that did everything was west

What did West do that MJ couldnt do?

I dont even have West on my top 5. Id have to say

MJ, Wilt, Bird, Magic, idk the 5th

Kobe Bryant....ok not yet but when its said and done he will be somewhere in this arguement

As of right now.....Im going to go with......Wilt Chamberlin, but if you want to know who the greatest competitor on the court was Id say MJ

Magic Johnson. If you look at the numbers the guy put up, and how well he played at pretty much every position. Then he is the best ever. He had a much shorter career than he could have, imagine if he had played 17 or 18 years in LA. The guy could do everything and always came through when it counted. What more could you ask for?

Back
Top Bottom