Greatest BBall player EVER | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest BBall player EVER

Samphin said:
You can argue that the level of competetion isn't better in Jordan's era than it was in Wilt's. Wilt played the Celtics and Russell much more often than Jordan played any of his fellow great players. The league has also expanded and dilluted the talent pool. Players Jordan routinely schooled wouldn't have even sniffed the court back then. So, that argument is flawed, as is every argument when you are comparing eras.
Wilt did face Russell more but Jordan faced more great players more often. Whereas Wilt only had Russell to worry about in terms of someone who was actually able to guard him, Jordan had a different great player every night. Ewing, reggie Miller, Nique, Bird/McHale/Parrish, Isiah/Dumars, Shaq, Zo, etc.

In most sports I would argue that the talent pool has been diluted. basketball is the exception because of its global popularity. Because of that, the way the game has evolved (3's) and gotten much more physical (low post D, emphasis on shot blocking), I would say you have to be better now than you did back then because then you could get by if you were fundamentally sound. Now you have to be extremely athletic as well because of how much of the game is spent in the air shooting/driving/rebounding/blocking shots. The arguement isnt flawed one bit. Its valid because its proven true. Many players have come out and said the players now are better then they were then even with a somewhat loss of fundamentals because theyre so much bigger stronger, and athletic.

Samphin said:
Wilt was a better passer than any center ever and his rebound numbers put players like Ewing and even Shaq to shame. Yes he was taller, but you can't hold that against him. He used what he had and did it better than anyone else in my opinion.
he was a better passer cause he had 6" inches + on any center not named Russell. Its a lot easier to pass when no one can face guard you. If youre talking about the best player ever you have to consider that fact because back then Jordan would have been a center. What would Jordan have done against of guys who couldnt jump and who played politely (which I'll get into in a minute)? They didnt have no Brent Barry's back then. Dunking was rare. Wilt and a few others could do it but if it was from a guard it was actually considered poor sportsmanship to show up your opponent like that. When Wilt came along that changed because he had such a height advantage over everyone else.

Samphin said:
Trust me, I am not taking ANYTHING away form Michael. To me though, it goes Wilt, Michael and Magic as an extremely close third, maybe even tied with Jordan.
And your entitled to your opinion. But my argument is in no way flawed. :tongue:

HurriPhinFan said:
When all is said and done, Kobe will be up there :evil:

exactly but he wont be up there he will be and im not being a homer. He is the most dominating Off player to play the game. He is a better outside shooter meaning behidn the line then jordan, more acrobatic adn the ability to make impossible shots.

Shaun Bradley. Closely followed by Greg Ostertag and Luc Longley (tied)

Earl Boykins.....

Best 5'6 player currently in the league

EDIT- Scratch that, his player card on ESPN.com says 5'5

HysterikiLL said:
Shaun Bradley. Closely followed by Greg Ostertag and Luc Longley (tied)

no i think its scott skiles or sam bowie

Boik14 said:
Wilt did face Russell more but Jordan faced more great players more often. Whereas Wilt only had Russell to worry about in terms of someone who was actually able to guard him, Jordan had a different great player every night. Ewing, reggie Miller, Nique, Bird/McHale/Parrish, Isiah/Dumars, Shaq, Zo, etc.

In most sports I would argue that the talent pool has been diluted. basketball is the exception because of its global popularity. Because of that, the way the game has evolved (3's) and gotten much more physical (low post D, emphasis on shot blocking), I would say you have to be better now than you did back then because then you could get by if you were fundamentally sound. Now you have to be extremely athletic as well because of how much of the game is spent in the air shooting/driving/rebounding/blocking shots. The arguement isnt flawed one bit. Its valid because its proven true. Many players have come out and said the players now are better then they were then even with a somewhat loss of fundamentals because theyre so much bigger stronger, and athletic.

he was a better passer cause he had 6" inches + on any center not named Russell. Its a lot easier to pass when no one can face guard you. If youre talking about the best player ever you have to consider that fact because back then Jordan would have been a center. What would Jordan have done against of guys who couldnt jump and who played politely (which I'll get into in a minute)? They didnt have no Brent Barry's back then. Dunking was rare. Wilt and a few others could do it but if it was from a guard it was actually considered poor sportsmanship to show up your opponent like that. When Wilt came along that changed because he had such a height advantage over everyone else.

And your entitled to your opinion. But my argument is in no way flawed. :tongue:

But being fundamentally sound isn't a bad thing. Being more athletic doesn't make Jordan a better B-baller. In fact, I would argue that Wilt was a better athlete overall, but that is a different discussion, I suppose. In fact, being more fundamentally sound would make you a better player in my opinion. Players in this era may be faster for the most part, but driving to the rim, drawing a foul or jumping and dunking doesn't make you better. It means you can jump and dunk. Again though, we have a right to our own opinions.

I think the main knock on Wilt is that he didn't have every game filmed like Jordan did. Video/visual evidence is what most of you are relying on when making the argument. Wilt didn't even have his 100 point game on film.

You also have to take into account that the NBA changed the rules to try and hinder Wilt's dominance. Jordan would just ask a ref for a foul call and get it. In fact, you could go as far as to say the NBA changed the rules to HELP MJ. Again though, neither one of us will convince the other that the other is better...or something.

SR 7 said:
exactly but he wont be up there he will be and im not being a homer. He is the most dominating Off player to play the game. He is a better outside shooter meaning behidn the line then jordan, more acrobatic adn the ability to make impossible shots.
Kobe is great, but all the greats make their players around them better. Look at last year, didn't even make the playoffs without Shaq and this year for the majority of the year it was the LA Kobe's until these playoffs. If Kobe continues the way he is in these playoffs you may have an arguement but until Bryant plays to make his team better (which he hasn't until the playoffs), he won't be close to players like MJ Oscar Magic or even LeBron (if he continues the way he's started).

Slappy8800 said:
gretzky best pro athlete ever....look at his numbers..i doubt anyone ever sniffs them
Not true. Had Lemieux not gotten cancer and screwed up his back, he'd have passed Gretzky. His goals per game stat was amazing.

As for the topic:

~ Jordan
~ Dr. J
~ Wilt
~ Walt Frazier. (he might not have been the best, but Clyde was the COOLEST!)

Pagan said:
Not true. Had Lemieux not gotten cancer and screwed up his back, he'd have passed Gretzky. His goals per game stat was amazing.

As for the topic:

~ Jordan
~ Dr. J
~ Wilt
~ Walt Frazier. (he might not have been the best, but Clyde was the COOLEST!)

In goals yes but lemieux as a passer wasnt even in the same league as gretzky sorry bro

I know your a penguins fan too :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

#23, Michael Jordan. It's not even close.

Nolan Ryan in baseball. Don't even argue, you know it's true.

Dan Marino in football. Like I need to make a case for Dan?

Back
Top Bottom