Greatest single MIA plays | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest single MIA plays

fishfan34 said:
The Hook and Lateral was by FAR the Greatest single play, even in a losing effort, that play was absolutely incredible.... You also left off the Nat Moore Whirly Bird hit he took against the Jets.. wasn't so much incredible as it was just fun to watch.. The Marino to Clayton Tipped pass against the Cowboys on Monday Night in 85 was a sweet play.. The fake spike was nice as well.. and the 52 yarder by Mare against Denver a couple of years ago after Elam hit the 55 yarder just a few seconds earlier.. but the greatest play was the Hook and Lateral.. There was so much about THAT play in THAT game that made it classic...
Then the kickoff that went through the uprights was a nice touch.

The Marino to Clayton against the Chiefs for the 66th time they had connected...wow that was awesome.....soooo many more...Clayton tip against Bears in 85.....The Clayton catch on his back against bears in chicago.......The Marino to Duper on 4th and 5 for the 45yard ish TD....Just so many.......Rickys 53 yarder to break the Jets 8-game winning streak....wow what a run that was.

1985, week 10 in the Orange Bowl against the Jets.

Trailing 17-14...late in the 4th quarter.

The Dolphins are 5-4 and with a loss we'd fall 2 games behind the Patriots and the Jets in the AFC East.

Dan Marino throws a 50 yard rainbow, Mark Duper playing his first game in 2 months juggles and then catches it and walks into the end zone, arms stretched to the sky.

Dolphins win 7 straight and win the AFC East.

louis oliver 100+ yard int td against the bills - louis oliver:hump:

Hook and Lateral hands down.
The fake spike was sweet but had no where the reaction of OH HELL YES as the Hook and Lateral if you were watching it live.

Lloyd Heilbrunn said:
Dick Anderson's 7 block INT return for TD vs The Colts to lead The Fins to their first SB appearance.

You beat me to it, Lloyd. It was like dominoes falling one by one. I swear the white hankies waved for 10 minutes straight after that return. And I couldn't even hold a conversation with my dad one seat away, it was so loud.

Also deserving mention is Yepremian's game winning FG in double OT a week earlier on Christmas Day. That was when the team officially arrived, winning a huge and memorable game on a national stage. The Memorial Stadium crowd was stone silent after that kick. Somewhat lucky, after Stenerud botched a 29 yarder in the final seconds of regulation, but we fought gallantly and deserved to win.

You can't have a thread like this without highlighting plays from the signature season of '72. I immediately think of 4:

* Yepremian's 54 yarder that kept hope alive in the game at Minnesota, outside at dusty old Metropolitan Stadium. That cut the deficit to 14-9 in the middle of the 4th quarter. We were dead if Garo had missed. No 2-pointers in that era.

* Morrall to Warfield for a huge game saving play in the middle of the 4th quarter, first round playoff game vs. Cleveland. We trailed 14-13 before that play and the Orange Bowl was stunned and silent.

* Seiple's famous fake punt in the 2nd quarter in the AFC title game at Pittsburgh

* Griese to Warfield on a quick slant and run very early in the 3rd quarter of that same game. The slant to Warfield was Miami's signature play during that era. That pass validated Shula's decision to bench Morrall at halftime and provided momentum that lasted the remainder of the game.

Seiple Rules

Awsi Dooger said:
"Seiple's famous fake punt in the 2nd quarter in the AFC title game at Pittsburgh."
No question. It preserved the greatest accomplishment in NFL history, the perfect season.

Lamar Smith's OT run in the 2000 playoffs. I have never yelled that loudly in my life. Second would be Mare's kick against the Broncos in 02.

Yep...the Hook and Lateral was the best. It capped a HUGE comeback in that game as we were down 24-0 early in that game (if I remember correctly).

The fake spike is also one of my favorites.

Let's not forget the Ray Finkle (Laces out Dan) missed kick to lose the super bowl. That one was a heartbreaker!!! I don't know that i'll ever get over that one..

Back
Top Bottom