Grier Ranked 20th Best GM by USA Today | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier Ranked 20th Best GM by USA Today

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, USA Today ranked all NFL GM's with Chris Grier coming in at number 20. I think that's low, but Miami has only made the playoffs once in Grier's seven seasons in the position with three winning seasons.

Bill Bellichick was given the top spot, which I definitely don't agree with. As a coach, sure but as GM?

The bottom line is winning, though. Hopefully, this year will move Grier up. Personally, considering the magnitude of the rebuild I think Grier is top half of the league, just outside of the top 10 (12ish).

For what it's worth, USA Today ranked all NFL GM's with Chris Grier coming in at number 20. I think that's low, but Miami has only made the playoffs once in Grier's seven seasons in the position with three winning seasons.

Bill Bellichick was given the top spot, which I definitely don't agree with. As a coach, sure but as GM?

The bottom line is winning, though. Hopefully, this year will move Grier up. Personally, considering the magnitude of the rebuild I think Grier is top half of the league, just outside of the top 10 (12ish).

🙄

Let’s see how BB looks after the next decade if he’s got the guts to coach that long. Don Shula is the only guy to go to Super Bowls with three different rosters. BB without Brady, let’s look at the record.
I believe BB is still under .500 without Brady. Of course, he did make it to the playoffs with a rookie quarterback last year.

I've always believed that Shula would have had more super bowl titles if he had coached his entire career in a salary cap ERA. Joe Robbie was a notorious cheap skate.

I believe BB is still under .500 without Brady. Of course, he did make it to the playoffs with a rookie quarterback last year.

I've always believed that Shula would have had more super bowl titles if he had coached his entire career in a salary cap ERA. Joe Robbie was a notorious cheap skate.
We also didn’t have true free agency for the core Marino years. They couldn’t draft well on D or at RB and free agency might have helped. Players would have been drawn to playing with Danny.

Hmmm..... I always thought Shula would have had problems dealing with the Free Agency aspect of today. I definitely don't think players would be lining up to play for him today, given his (perceived?) hard a$$ persona.

I think it is a bit low also, but as you say, the bottom line is winning.

I really do not blame him for a few of those years. He was dealt a crap hand in the beginning, and ended up having to do a complete demolition and rebuilt.

Hmmm..... I always thought Shula would have had problems dealing with the Free Agency aspect of today. I definitely don't think players would be lining up to play for him today, given his (perceived?) hard a$$ persona.
Perhaps. Just always seemed to me that Shula came out on top when he played teams of equal talent, or even slightly more talent than Miami.

But you make a good point about adaptability. Would he have adapted to today's game?

now that article is thee most worthless pile of information ever assembled..

lol, a sole reporter ranking gms in the nfl..

to do that accurately you would have to do a three year study on wins and losses for each GM.

doubt he compiled that type of depth.

Chris Grier is #1 in the NFL. His is the godfather like Pat Riley. If it wasn't for Pat RIley, Grier would be #1 in all of sports. His job is safer than Bill Belichick's.

The bloom has come off the Shula rose for me. I give Shula his due for the fifteen year period between 1970-1985 (as a Dolphins coach, obviously he had great success prior with other teams). But his last ten years as Dolphins coach are overrated as hell (in light of the disaster the team became post his tenure). He absolutely wasted the Dan Marino years: 1 SB loss, 1/3 in conference championships, missing the playoffs entirely 1986-89, 91 (technically ‘93 as well but Marino got injured), and even in ‘95 they got to the playoffs only to be embarrassed by the Bills (Shula was 0-3 against the Bills in the playoffs).

If Brady is worse than Dan Marino, and Belichick did substantially better with a worse QB then it’s fair to say he’s better. I don’t care much about that debate. But when Marino’s career is reevaluated, one can only arrive at the the conclusion that either he was overrated or Shula was at that point. I’m confident it was Shula.

20th seems right for Grier. If Tua balls out and turns heads, that number will go higher.

Can’t say Grier didn’t have a stacked deck to build a winner though. He got a ransom for his LT by a desperate coach/GM on his way to getting fired and then another ransom for having the 3rd pick in a deep QB draft.

Back
Top Bottom