Gruden's QB Camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gruden's QB Camp

With that said based on interview only I wounldn't draft Osweiler! The guys seems stupidly arrogant. Here's an example: Gruden was saying that its not wise to take shots when you can avoid them at the next level. Unfortunately, Osweiler more or less responded by saying those shots don't apply to me, I'm big!

Was really impressed with Weeden in that interview, came across as humble whilst still having that confidence you need as a quarterback, complete opposite of osweiler who just seemed arrogant. Would really not be upset if we passed on Tannehill in Round 1 and took this guy in the 2nd.

Was really impressed with Weeden in that interview, came across as humble whilst still having that confidence you need as a quarterback, complete opposite of osweiler who just seemed arrogant. Would really not be upset if we passed on Tannehill in Round 1 and took this guy in the 2nd.

Really? scared the hell out of me. B.W started talking about how he never called wordy plays. In addition the fact that their offense was mostly based on hand signals from the sidelines and he almost never played under center...That makes me nervous!

That confidence you see from Weeden is pretty natural, but I've talked to him at length and I think he definitely tried to show it more for Gruden and the cameras. He wasn't lying, he was just dropping the faux-humility BS that everyone is taught they need to wear on their face like a mask, and just tell the straight truth: "I can throw the hell out of a football, and I'm a winner." But for some people, I guess that came off fake or forced. I don't know how I could see it that way but to each his own, I guess. I thought he hit exactly the mark. Gruden's like, you beat Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Landry Jones, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, all these guys...what do you say to that? Simply put, "I'm going to win you a lot of football games."

Brock Osweiler though...that's hard to get a read on. I can see him turning people off, like Cam Newton did. It comes off forced, contrived, hell that was almost a Sarah Palin-esque performance he put on for Gruden. Usually it's Gruden's comic book shtick that makes the quarterbacks uncomfortable, throws them off their game. I never thought I'd see the day when a quarterback's comic book shtick makes Gruden uncomfortable and throws him off his game. I would just dismiss Osweiler as a charlatan, but I also think he buys his own product. What is awkward and uncomfortable now as a younger guy that hasn't proven anything in the NFL, could come off more natural with some seasoning and especially, with the wins. But the bottom line is, is this guy going to win you football games. I say, not for a while...and teammates might get tired of this persona he's trying to exude if he's not going to be the guy like Cam Newton that comes out Day 1 putting the entire team on his shoulders and playing lights out football.

CK, do you think it's anything to worry about that OK State' offence ran fundamentally on hand signals like marshallaw mentioned?

CK, do you think it's anything to worry about that OK State' offence ran fundamentally on hand signals like marshallaw mentioned?

No, not at all. On the contrary I think the job he had to do was actually much harder than it will be in the NFL. If you can memorize all these hand signals and have a strong enough grasp of all of them to run that offense at the blazing speed that they ran it at Oklahoma State, then slowing down to a huddle and doing play calls with words will be an absolute cinch.

Just think about what he had to do as he approached the line of scrimmage at Oklahoma State, looking left and right, making eye contact with all receivers, all running backs, all offensive linemen, making sure they all see his hand signals. Because he had to do all of that at light speed, his Center started the point of protection calls and he would have to finish them. All of it takes your eyes off the defensive alignment. Yet, he became a damn expert at recognizing defensive alignments and making further signals that dictate how he plans to attack a blitz here, or a change in the coverage there. Having to juggle so much stuff at the same time really made him very good at picking up defensive tendencies quickly and dealing with them decisively. If he gets to call plays in the huddle that gives him that much more time to survey the field, watch how the defense is lining up, see the personnel and not just the alignments, and make calls.

I'll give you a for instance, although it might not apply in this case particularly well since it came during a hurry up, but I don't think that matters because it stands as the type of thing you can recognize and exploit in any situation. When the Dolphins played the Patriots at the beginning of the season, the Dolphins were clearly cramping up due to the Patriots' no-huddle. At one point Sean Smith got up from a play and he was undergoing a full body cramp that he was trying to work out. Miami did not call a timeout. As the defense came out to line up, Tom Brady was able to see that Smith was cramping bad, even though Smith was trying to hide it because he couldn't call timeout. Brady's recognition of Smith's cramps led him to make a quick audible to get Aaron Hernandez isolated on Smith one-on-one deep down the field. Brady threw him the ball and it turned into a big play, not quite a touchdown but it got them right on the goal line. Smith just couldn't keep up.

There are things like that, that a smart quarterback can recognize as he breaks the huddle and sees the defensive players start to track his own offensive players and get lined up. That's the moment before the defense can really disguise anything, too. They have their eyes on their assignments and they're making sure they've got their marks set before they engage in any fake-blitzes or real blitzes, etc. Being free to observe the defense in these situations, the personnel, any personnel mismatches you may want to take advantage of, these things help you make plays. Weeden will have fewer responsibilities with all the hand signaling and whatnot as they walk up and get lined up, which gives him more time to make these observations.

I think too much is generally made of stuff like that. What was it Cam Newton said during his Gruden interview a year ago? Gruden asked him to tell him a call that they would make, and Newton couldn't even do it. He said you're putting me on the spot, and we're all thinking, no he's not, it's an easy question, just make a call like you would at Auburn. In the end I believ Newton settled on something extraordinarily simplistic like "32". That was it.

Proof that Newton wasn't ready for the NFL, right? Except he didn't even get any OTAs, no mini camps, no contact with coaches during lockout, walked into training camp as the starter day one, started the entire year, and had one of the best rookie quarterback seasons I've certaily ever seen. Guess terminology wasn't that big of a deal after all, eh?

I like Osweilers guts in the pocket.

He's young but everyone has to start somewhere. Toughness is essential at QB.

I like Osweilers guts in the pocket.

He's young but everyone has to start somewhere. Toughness is essential at QB.

So is keeping an even keel, and one thing that QB Camp with Gruden really brought out is that Brock Osweiler is a really excitable guy. What went left unsaid, is that cuts both ways. Watch the Boise State bowl game some time and you'll see.

thats brocks problem. he has a bad attitude, and he is a cry baby. but if we dont get tannehill i would rather grab him than weeden. weeden just doesnt impress me. brock has alot o upside, and i think weeden doesnt have anywhere to go but down. weeden doesnt have an athletic bone in his body, and ive never been impressed with his arm. everytime i watch him throw outsid the numbers he doesnt seem to have alot of velocity on the ball. but this is all jmo, im not hating on him he is a good player but not the guy i think that can put this team over the hump

I liked the interview with Osweiler. I hope we can pick him at some point.

So is keeping an even keel, and one thing that QB Camp with Gruden really brought out is that Brock Osweiler is a really excitable guy. What went left unsaid, is that cuts both ways. Watch the Boise State bowl game some time and you'll see.

Chad Henne had an even keel. I want a QB that like the game of football and has fun playing the game.

How much interest has Miami expressed in Weeden? I get the sense Ireland wants someone more mobile. Do we have much intelligence on what kind of priority Miami has put on Weeden? As much as we talk about trading down, getting extra picks, and still getting Weeden--I wonder if Weeden is really a legit possibility. If Miami doesn't get Tannehill, I would not be shocked if Ireland makes a major reach for Osweiler instead of manipulating the draft to get Weeden.

i really like what i see in the brock vid. we need that type of leader. and i love how much fun he has playing. that is very important

The way RG3 carries himself is really impressive.

I know some think he isn't even the second best QB in the draft, but the more I see him the more I think Washington are gonna reep the benefits of their trade for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom