Gruden's QB Camp | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gruden's QB Camp

What I got out of that is Luck throws a lot of screens at Stanford.

I think Tannehills stats were also inflated by screens to Swopes. There were so many screens that after the WR caught it, they always ran for like 10 to 12 yards after the catch.

Tannehill made lots of good NFL throws with anticipation and velocity and accuracy. He also was progressing in reading NFL defenses (not great yet at this point) with audibles and avoiding Rush and throwing on the run with accuracy. His team did not seem to throw too many long balls so cant tell you how proficient he is there. I have read that when he miscalculated the defense being read he would make some bad mistakes. Other then that he understands NFL offense and can play it right now.

Question about Tannehill, anyone got the answer?

So i just got done watching about 5 game clips from Tannehill, One thing i gathered from watching all of them is how rarely he would throw downfield (over 25+ yards) and when he would the balls were incredibly inaccurate. Could Someone who has watched him more than me tell me if i just picked bad games or is he just below average at throwing the deep ball? The thing that impresses me the most was the timing he was hitting his receivers with on out routes, very mature for the limited time he had been playing qb.

Also came across this, at the 3:20 mark He keeps it and absolutely levels a defender going out of bounds. thought is was cool. [video=youtube;NBKmpwrH-Uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBKmpwrH-Uw[/video]

for my tape study his vertical accuracy was pretty much nonexistent...i'm not talking about 20 yard crossing routes which he threw darts on or 18 yard comebacks or vertical out breaking routes all of which i think he threw very well...a few times the ball was too far inside on the outbreaking stuff giving the db a chance to recover but all in all very impressed...what i'm talking about is the straight verticals...where the ball should be over the outside shoulder and out in front...but it was also very apparent to me that his primary true vertical target on the outside jeff fuller could not separate down the field...he was a size wr who would sometimes try to go up and get it against coverage players who wore him like drapes or fuller wouldn't even make a full effort...i think tannehill lost confidence because he didn't have a win separation wr on the outside and threw the ball out of bounds or underthrown so that only his tall wr could try and go get it...

watching tonights espnu gruden qb camp on tannehill jeff fuller couldn't even get squating dbs to get out of their pedal...they just sat on stuff and never respected his vertical speed or ability to invade their space...personally i think a lot of tannehills vertical issues are attributable to what he had to work with on the outside...not swopes in the slot but fuller on the outside...and its fullers inability to even make average college dbs respect his speed which carried over to the senior bowl week where dbs were in his hip all day long that has me saying jeff fuller is not a wr i would be interested in...

Hard not to like him, seems like he can take that next step. Just not sure about him at #8. We'll see Thursday.

What I got out of that is Luck throws a lot of screens at Stanford.

Not screens. Short downfield throws. Cleverly designed based on power sets.

Stanford's offense has been a joy to watch with all the multiple looks, and a high percentage of physical runs, which naturally opens the gate for backs and tight ends to slide across the formation for simple but deadly short catch and run. I bet so many Stanford games I knew exactly when Luck had set it up and you almost wanted to cover your mouth to squelch laughter. It felt like back in the early '70s again, sensing when Griese would turn to a slant to Warfield after battering the opposition with Csonka.

Stanford and Boise State should have faced off against each other every week. Marvelous designs. Throw in Wisconsin once in a while. They also eschewed screens in favor of short tosses set up by power, although not to the frequency or brilliance of Stanford.

It will be interesting to see how Luck fares with the Colts in the early stages, if the power and play fakes are absent or disrespected and he's forced to make a higher percentage of so-called normal throws, 10-20 yards downfield.

I'm sure there will be numerous interpretations. I thought Tannehill was overly passive early, almost to the point it forced Gruden to carry the show more than his expectation and beyond ideal. Proper that Blaine Gabbert's name surfaced because Tannehill eclipsed Gabbert's performance last year for lowest decibel level and animation.

I don't know who owns the mark for most "Yes, sir" but Tannehill has got to be right there.

He grew on me later in the show. But a confident polished guy like Luck and all his bananas were available for only a month of additional failure. That's all I was thinking about while watching Gruden with Tannehill.

Tannehill seems like a Sawgrass quarterback: "Better than most." That's where Gary Koch's famous call of Tiger's long putt on the island green took place, at Sawgrass. A friend and I use that code in Las Vegas, for no apparent reason. "Do you like that bet?" "Sawgrass"

If everything panned out, topside for Tannehill might be 10-12th in the league. I guess that's okay.

Still trying to pinpoint who Tannehill reminds me of. Luck is easy: Jim Kelly. Same shoulders and body type and trajectory with a similar personality. Both used a pro style attack to jumpstart a program that had been way down. Luck is somewhat taller and more mobile. Kelly had the stronger arm. Even the number is identical: 12

That was awesome. Just gotta coach him up. I think we have the right people in our staff to coach up Tannehill into being a good player.

So i just got done watching about 5 game clips from Tannehill, One thing i gathered from watching all of them is how rarely he would throw downfield (over 25+ yards) and when he would the balls were incredibly inaccurate. Could Someone who has watched him more than me tell me if i just picked bad games or is he just below average at throwing the deep ball? The thing that impresses me the most was the timing he was hitting his receivers with on out routes, very mature for the limited time he had been playing qb.

Also came across this, at the 3:20 mark He keeps it and absolutely levels a defender going out of bounds. thought is was cool. [video=youtube;NBKmpwrH-Uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBKmpwrH-Uw[/video]

Refer to post #93 on page 10 of this thread.

slimm...would you agree that tannehill lost confidence in his wr fuller on the outside or do you think just point blank he lost the take a shot mentality when he had opportunities??? cause i think its more of the former...not to mention you can't watch a game of theirs without guys dropping like 5 plus balls per game...its rediculous how many drops of catchable balls i saw...

also slimm thoughts next year on the slot swope...i think he's got an nfl future and i like him...not sure he's as quick as wes welker but that kids a pro and i'd like to have him...

slimm...would you agree that tannehill lost confidence in his wr fuller on the outside or do you think just point blank he lost the take a shot mentality when he had opportunities??? cause i think its more of the former...not to mention you can't watch a game of theirs without guys dropping like 5 plus balls per game...its rediculous how many drops of catchable balls i saw...

also slimm thoughts next year on the slot swope...i think he's got an nfl future and i like him...not sure he's as quick as wes welker but that kids a pro and i'd like to have him...

It's possible. I don't know what the reason is, but I know by watching his film that he didn't take the vertical shots necessary even when the pre-snap coveraged dictated that he go to his alert read. He became more of system quarterback as a Senior and operated strict to the system and the progressions. He became more of a "paint by numbers" quarterback and developed a game manager approach as opposed to his Junior season.

The emergence of Swope in the slot this past season was a direct reflection of it.

I think Swope is pretty good player... lot bigger than Welker though.

I have no idea why people think Tannehill's supporting cast wasn't a strong one. Cyrus Gray and Jeff Fuller will probably both be selected in the top 150 or so picks of this draft. Christine Michael, Ryan Swope, and Uzoma Nwachukwu will all be drafted next year. Probably pretty high for Christine Michael and Ryan Swope. And his two offensive tackles, Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews are both potential 1st round picks next year if they declare early.

It's possible. I don't know what the reason is, but I know by watching his film that he didn't take the vertical shots necessary even when the pre-snap coveraged dictated that he go to his alert read. He became more of system quarterback as a Senior and operated strict to the system and the progressions. He became more of a "paint by numbers" quarterback and developed a game manager approach as opposed to his Junior season.

The emergence of Swope in the slot this past season was a direct reflection of it.

I think Swope is pretty good player... lot bigger than Welker though.

I have no idea why people think Tannehill's supporting cast wasn't a strong one. Cyrus Gray and Jeff Fuller will probably both be selected in the top 150 or so picks of this draft. Christine Michael, Ryan Swope, and Uzoma Nwachukwu will all be drafted next year. Probably pretty high for Christine Michael and Ryan Swope. And his two offensive tackles, Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews are both potential 1st round picks next year if they declare early.

only guy i like on that receiver core is swope...fuller will probably get drafted in the top 150 but i think thats more about route running and his size...i just don't see the guy separate...and he's slow...just not a fan of the pass receiving options other than swope...nwachukwu i saw some talent but very very raw...late round stuff

Back
Top Bottom