GuS | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GuS

Superself said:
He did complete 16 of of 28 throws or 57% of his passes. To say that he continually over throws receivers would be a tad extreme. Please also remember that some of his completions were really nice.

Agreed is 5 yard passes were mostly on the mark but even those the TV announcers commented on how he CONTINUALLY failed to properly lead his recievers. In his defense Gus finally hit a long ball yesterday, so I guess he is now at least as good as Sage.

The guy is terrible comon!

Calgaryfin said:
Agreed is 5 yard passes were mostly on the mark but even those the TV announcers commented on how he CONTINUALLY failed to properly lead his recievers. In his defense Gus finally hit a long ball yesterday, so I guess he is now at least as good as Sage.

The guy is terrible comon!

He is not terrible...I believe that many fans expect too much out of Gus.

You want a QB who will routinely hit those throws when the WR is wide open....stop and think for a minute if Gus actually did hit those receivers what his rating/ranking would be. He would be ranked in the top 5 QBs in the league if he did what you guys are asking.

Gus is not a top 5 QB, so please, lets not try to hold him to those lofty standards.

Had Brooks not played so bad and we didnot have a lead that would have been gus's last game. He is inaccurate on what should be routine throws the garden variety 5-10 yard throw. That won't cut it against a good team. I don't know if Sage is any better but we need to find out. I doubt either of them are on the team next year.

Superself said:

You want a QB who will routinely hit those throws when the WR is wide open....stop and think for a minute if Gus actually did hit those receivers what his rating/ranking would be. He would be ranked in the top 5 QBs in the league if he did what you guys are asking.

Gus is not a top 5 QB, so please, lets not try to hold him to those lofty standards.

Listen, Linehan and Saban both put his in charge of the offense of this team. He is a paid professional quaterback who has been in the league many years. He is expected,and rightfully so, to know how to lead a reciever. He is expected,and rightfully so, to hit the MAJORITY (not all) of throws to WIDE OPEN recievers. He expects to get paid for playing and I expect him to make better passes than a high school quaterback.:fire:

He sucks and judging by the number of posters and TV announcers that have critiized him I'm not the only one who thinks so! I don't care if he knows our offense better, he has POOR accuracy and he has even admitted he has to play better. So get going Gus or get lost!

Calgaryfin said:
Oh I see, when its the recievers fault we can talk about it but when Gus CONTINUALLY over throws and under throws ( even the TV announcers couldn't believe how many times he screwed up and went on and on about it-they said zip about recievers and bad routes) we should move on?:shakeno:

No, its not that you shouldnt critique Gus and point at him for things you dont like to see in a QB.....rather as a Fan its to live with his accuaracy issues while the rest of the offense is being evaluated and deciding what needs to happen to make this offense more consistent and clicking on all cylinders in what Saban/Linehan expect from this unit.

Gus knows the system and gives Saban/Linehan a benchmark to know the QB will put the offense in the proper position and take what the D gives them.

However, until Saban/Linehan see that all others are performing their jobs correctly based on what Gus sees and knows when running the offense and where they should be in routes, hot routes, blocking, blitz pick up, etc....they are not ready to worry strickly about his accuracy and they arent going to bench him.

Certainly Gus has missed some balls, but he has done things to hit on passes where unless as a Fan you just take any completion for granted you have to admit he has thrown some very nice balls. In the big picture, he is the best QB on the roster to run this offense for the time being.

Superself said:

:yeahthat:

Gus isn't great, but I believe that he's our best option. I believe the coaching staff would make the change if we had a better option on the roster.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
....... In the big picture, he is the best QB on the roster to run this offense for the time being.

You are probably right and it is the first thing you have said that I even slightly agree with.

Gus sucks period-to this point! That having been said I am in for the Atlanta game and I would heartily welcome a change in Gus which is Loooooooong overdue!:yell:

Calgaryfin said:
Listen, Linehan and Saban both put his in charge of the offense of this team. He is a paid professional quaterback who has been in the league many years. He is expected,and rightfully so, to know how to lead a reciever. He is expected,and rightfully so, to hit the MAJORITY (not all) of throws to WIDE OPEN recievers. He expects to get paid for playing and I expect him to make better passes than a high school quaterback.:fire:

He sucks and judging by the number of posters and TV announcers that have critiized him I'm not the only one who thinks so! I don't care if he knows our offense better, he has POOR accuracy and he has even admitted he has to play better. So get going Gus or get lost!

He does hit the majority of his passes. Elite QBs hit somewhere around 58-60% of their passes on a routine basis.
Gus so far has hit on 52%...which very close to his career average (54%).
I will say this again. If Gus hits those passes that everyone is complaining about, he would having a hell of a career year in Miami and more than likely ranked as a top 5 QB.
How can anyone place that type of expectation upon a QB whose average over a 11 year span has been sub standard?

Sure he gets paid and all that, but he is pay is commensurate to his skill level is it not?

phinfann13 said:
I don't think this can be fixed. He's been in the league for years now, and has been a consistent back up. That has been his problem his entire career. If it could be fixed, I figure he would have fixed it by now.

Good point. He's had plenty of time to fix what ails him. Obviously, he has not fixed his problems so it seems that he can't be fixed. Who knows, though. We may see him throw a game for 300+ yd and 3 touchdowns game this season........yeah I know I'm dreaming, but trust me, I'm not smoking anything or have not been drinking. :lol: Doesn't look likely....maybe against the Browns but even that's a stretch. All you can do is expect the worst from him and hope he doesn't stink it up.

Superself said:
He does hit the majority of his passes. Elite QBs hit somewhere around 58-60% of their passes on a routine basis.
I will say this again. If Gus hits those passes that everyone is complaining about, he would having a hell of a career year in Miami and more than likely ranked as a top 5 QB.
How can anyone place that type of expectation upon a QB whose average over a 11 year span has been sub standard?

Sure he gets paid and all that, but he is pay is commensurate to his skill level is it not?

Not true his passer rating the week before was 37.3 :rofl3: . Abysmal by any measure!

Calgaryfin said:
You are probably right and it is the first thing you have said that I even slightly agree with.

Gus sucks period-to this point! That having been said I am in for the Atlanta game and I would heartily welcome a change in Gus which is Loooooooong overdue!:yell:

Bummer, only the first thing? :rofl3:

Darn, I am slipping...will work harder to get you on my bandwagon....hahahaha.

I am rooting for the win vs. Atlanta right alongside of you my friend. And also rooting for the Saban Era to be something special even more.

AirChambers84 said:
Gus is making the right decisions out there... he's just making bad passes. He looks good under pressure, he's firing away... We just need him to hit his targets. Anyone think this can be fixed with a little work? Cuz our offense looks to be very dangerous if we can get some consistency passing the ball. If he continues to mis-fire this much... shouldn't we bench him ? I don't think he's on a short leash yet, but he isn't the only car in the garage. However, I do expect him to improve this second half, and finish the season as the starter. I just don't think we can continue to put up with the way he's been playing(throwing) lately.

If he was younger....maybe....they would have time to correct his footwork...but he's what he is....a career backup...that most likely will be a one year wonder.

Superself said:

Actually...Elite QB's....are in the mid to high 60's....and Gus is at this time 51.8

Back
Top Bottom