Has Tuna Gone Insane? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Tuna Gone Insane?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
We all knew what we were getting when Tuna signed his contract. We were gonna have a bunch of BIG guys playing conservative Smash Mouth football. Sporano, an OL coach, comes in and is a perfect fit for what we're gonna do. Add in Penny, completes a lot of passes, few mistakes, and we're on our way. Right?

Not close. We put in the Wild Cat, somewhat of a very unexpected "gimmick," and it works. However, who wouldda thunk it of Tuna?

Then, the Ravens show that a good D, with an all out blitz, shuts it down. Oh well, it was fun for a while. Now, back to Smash Mouth. Right?

NO WAY. Tuna take a QB, with a very high pick, not only to make the WC work but, to add a spread O to the mix. Then I see in the OTA's that Ronnie is throwing passes, Ricky is throwing passes, Ginn is throwing passes, and even Turner, a rookie, is throwing passes. Who wouldda thunk it of Tuna?

Insanity or Genius? There's a fine line but, I'm thinking the later and loving it. IT'S GONNA BE A FUN YEAR!!!

Your thoughts?

My thoughts: We are still a smash-mouth football team first-and-foremost (or at least working towards that), with the Wildcat sprinkled in for maybe 10% of the plays.

I agree, though, that it's surprising seeing it from Parcells-run program (even if only 10%). It shows he (and moreso Sparano) isn't afraid to push the envelope, and be cutting-edge. But, we still have the basics as the foundation.

Bottom-line: Genius.

My thoughts: We are still a smash-mouth football team first-and-foremost (or at least working towards that), with the Wildcat sprinkled in for maybe 10% of the plays.

I agree, though, that it's surprising seeing it from Parcells-run program (even if only 10%). It shows he (and moreso Sparano) isn't afraid to push the envelope, and be cutting-edge. But, we still have the basics as the foundation.

Bottom-line: Genius.

Agreed!

Until the offense can spread the field and threaten every inch of it, there will be a sprinkle of Gimmick

He's always been nuts! Every great football player or coach is a little crazy.

I'm not taking anything from these OTA's more than it's just the coaching staff trying to make some fun out of an organized team activity.

The pick of Pat White really has taught me nothing of what the team is thinking about offensively but creating some depth at QB.

People are readying more into this than is reality. If Turner throws one ball this year I'll eat my shirt. It's nothing more than a coaching staff rewarding the guys hard work with some fun plays.....that is all.

The pre-season is long.....the season is longer. Every smart coach know's that if they stick working 100% on fundamentals and true x's and o'x they'll lose this team quicker than d-day lost his hair!

BP is a master of the shell game.

We all knew what we were getting when Tuna signed his contract. We were gonna have a bunch of BIG guys playing conservative Smash Mouth football. Sporano, an OL coach, comes in and is a perfect fit for what we're gonna do. Add in Penny, completes a lot of passes, few mistakes, and we're on our way. Right?

Not close. We put in the Wild Cat, somewhat of a very unexpected "gimmick," and it works. However, who wouldda thunk it of Tuna?

Then, the Ravens show that a good D, with an all out blitz, shuts it down. Oh well, it was fun for a while. Now, back to Smash Mouth. Right?

NO WAY. Tuna take a QB, with a very high pick, not only to make the WC work but, to add a spread O to the mix. Then I see in the OTA's that Ronnie is throwing passes, Ricky is throwing passes, Ginn is throwing passes, and even Turner, a rookie, is throwing passes. Who wouldda thunk it of Tuna?

Insanity or Genius? There's a fine line but, I'm thinking the later and loving it. IT'S GONNA BE A FUN YEAR!!!

Your thoughts?
Now we are going to have to keep passing stats on a lot of different people. The wide receiver sets with any one of our QB's is going to give Smash Mouth football a whole different meaning. With Pat White as QB in these (new to Dolphins) wide receiver sets is going to be very exciting for Dolphin Fans as well as to the Opponents Defense. TC will be here soon!!!

BP does what it takes to win. His Pats and Jets teams would wing the ball all over the ball park if that's what it took. I think Bledsoe holds the record for most pass attempts in a game which he broke while BP was head coach. Smash mouth forst but don't let it fool you, Parcells throws and throws often if necessary.

By the end of the year we will know if the tuna has gone insane or not.

The wild cat is in effect again in 2009.

Ill be very shocked and happy to see this work consistently for us.

I think most of the plays are being designed and have already been used and practiced by our QB coach David Lee who coached at Arkansas with their Wild Hog formations...But i'm sure Tuna has put in his time into looking at old film and giving Lee an idea of what to run...But Lee and Henning are probably the ones who are coming up with all these misdirection run/pass plays to install...I think Tuna is just endorsing it----I believe it was Parcell's who first had the idea to bring the formation back but was Lee's responsibility to make it work as he already had the experience running an offense that lived off the Wild Hog

If he didn't go insane on his last 20 years in the league, i doubt he will. The guy has a plan...Concentrate on 2 or 3 positions on every draft. Pick 2 or players of each position on each draft and you cannot go wrong. You just know 1 or 2 of them will develop.

OL, DL in 2008....

CB, WR in 2009

DT, LB coming to a theater near you in 2010.

Now thats a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's always been nuts! Every great football player or coach is a little crazy.

I'm not taking anything from these OTA's more than it's just the coaching staff trying to make some fun out of an organized team activity.

The pick of Pat White really has taught me nothing of what the team is thinking about offensively but creating some depth at QB.

People are readying more into this than is reality. If Turner throws one ball this year I'll eat my shirt. It's nothing more than a coaching staff rewarding the guys hard work with some fun plays.....that is all.

The pre-season is long.....the season is longer. Every smart coach know's that if they stick working 100% on fundamentals and true x's and o'x they'll lose this team quicker than d-day lost his hair!

Between Tuna, Sporano, and Henning, we have over 100 years of coaching experience. These guys, along with Lee, seem to have been re-born.

I remember reading a number of player quotes last year where they could not wait to see what new stuff Henning was gonna come up with each week. Now, we have a full camp to kick it up a notch or two.

When you eat a shirt, hope it's a Jet's or Pat's jersey. LOL

Between Tuna, Sporano, and Henning, we have over 100 years of coaching experience. These guys, along with Lee, seem to have been re-born.

I remember reading a number of player quotes last year where they could not wait to see what new stuff Henning was gonna come up with each week. Now, we have a full camp to kick it up a notch or two.

When you eat a shirt, hope it's a Jet's or Pat's jersey. LOL

I should have told everyone I'm wearing a shirt made of pizza pie.

During the Pitt's first SB run with Big Ben, they were as smash mouth as it gets, and they ran about as many trick plays as anyone - with Hines, Randle El, etc. One doesn't exclude the other.

I should have told everyone I'm wearing a shirt made of pizza pie.

LOL. You gonna wear that until Turner throws a pass? You're going to be a very popular guy..:)

Back
Top Bottom